PDA

View Full Version : FantasyGrounds RuleSet Editor

DrDeth
March 23rd, 2007, 09:59
Greetings all,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Wrath Inc.'s FantasyGrounds Database Editor has gone into its first Closed Public Beta.

If you are interested in helping with the Beta Testing, visit our Support Forums at https://support.wrath.co.za/ or visit the site at https://www.wrath.co.za/ and click on the Forums button.

Register a user there and then send an e-mail to [email protected] so that we can activate your user.

We hope that the community will support us in this effort.

Thanks.

DrDeth
April 8th, 2007, 17:16
We are no longer accepting registrations for the beta testing of the Database Editor.

We have, however, made a start on a full ruleset editor and will no doubt need testers at some point in the future.

Here is an early sneak peak at the interface:

https://www.wrath.co.za/files/fgdbe/RuleForgeSS1.jpg

Oberoten
April 8th, 2007, 17:47
This looks solid gold. :)
Any idea of what price you will put it on when it is finished?

DrDeth
April 8th, 2007, 21:57
Thanks.

We havent even thought about pricing as of yet, but I think you'll find it quite reasonable.

Sigurd
April 9th, 2007, 00:24
You just keep developing with Tux as an example. That alone will get me to buy it.

Sigurd

Oberoten
April 9th, 2007, 07:25
Itae Orcae... Yes, this will be a "must buy" when it comes out. :) Any chance to pre-order? :) (and would that guarantee me a place in the Beta? )

DrDeth
April 9th, 2007, 17:44
Hrm... pre-order... *ponder*

Oberoten
April 9th, 2007, 21:06
*perks* Sooo... A definite possibility there, yes?

Snigwiddle
April 9th, 2007, 23:19
I want this...oh yes...you tell me how much...arm,leg,firstborn...it will be yours. This will be an ESSENTIAL companion to FG.I bought in to FG because I wanted to play games again.I love the program, but I have spent more time with XML editing than I have with a D20.Please hurry, I suck with XML...

nezzir
April 13th, 2007, 12:05
I want this...oh yes...you tell me how much...arm,leg,firstborn...it will be yours. This will be an ESSENTIAL companion to FG.I bought in to FG because I wanted to play games again.I love the program, but I have spent more time with XML editing than I have with a D20.Please hurry, I suck with XML...

You're not very good at negotiating are you... (lol)

I have to ask, will this be ported over to 2.0 once it is complete? I'm sure you've said somewhere, but I must have missed it.

Edit:
From what I can see it looks very slick, and I agree, essential companion.

DrDeth
April 13th, 2007, 14:56
Yes, there will definately be a version for FG-II rulesets as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

DrDeth
April 13th, 2007, 15:20
Here is another screenshot for you guys to see.

I've added an 'Output' window to give the user a lot more feedback, and here you can see the Frame Editor in action. The blue 'blocks' are the nine bounding boxes defined by the framedef.

https://www.wrath.co.za/files/fgdbe/RuleForgeSS2.jpg

Astinus
April 13th, 2007, 19:58
I'm very new to the program. Will this editor also work with modifying character sheets?

DrDeth
April 15th, 2007, 10:23
Indeed it will. While this tool will not be a replacement for your favoutire graphics program, you'll be able to drag 'controls' onto the various forms for positioning. Essentially it will be a visual editor that modifies the underlying XML.

Tokuriku
April 15th, 2007, 11:04
I'm sooo looking forward to this :)

geekworx
April 15th, 2007, 17:18
I got a sneak preview of the tool yesterday from DrDeth (we both work for Wrath Inc.) and all I can say is that this tool is going to be well worth it. Although this is not the final price we will definitely keep it less then a full license of Fantasy Grounds and are looking at between $20.00 and $30.00 at the moment.

We are also busy negotiating with other 3rd party sites to be able to sell this product through them. :)

It shouldn't be much longer now until we are ready for the release of these tools ... DrDeth is furiously working on the product and making some awesome progress.

Cantstanzya
April 15th, 2007, 19:30
Yes, there will definately be a version for FG-II rulesets as well.

Thanks for the feedback.If we purchase the version for FG, will there be a free upgrade to the FG2 version?

DrDeth
April 16th, 2007, 07:37
It is unknown, at this stage, to what extents FG2 rulesets will affect the product. It is quite likely that the product will support both ruleset versions without the need to have two seperate products or versions. So the anwer to your question is most likely yes.

:)

DrDeth
April 23rd, 2007, 12:56
FG-II is finally here! Thanks again go to SmiteWorks for an excellent product.

Unfortunately, the bad news is that this is going to set RuleForge back a bit. It just doesnt make sense for us to continue developing for FG-1 anymore, so we have to move straight on to FG-II. All is not lost though - a lot of what we've done already can be carried across and the structure of FG-II rulesets is a lot more logical.

You can get more information from our support forums (including our disection of FG-II rulesets) or by watching my blog.

Wrath Inc. Support Forums (https://support.wrath.co.za/)
DrDeth's Blog (https://www.wrath.co.za/blog/7)

hedgewizard
April 23rd, 2007, 20:42
It looks as though I am gonna have to totally retool my WFRP rulest for FGII. Instead of wading through the new structure/code, I might wait for your RuleSet editor, which looks and sounds like a real boon.

Please - do keep us posted, and I don't doubt I speak for many when I pray that it's done soon!! I am sure many of us are eager to get crackin on a new ruleset!

Thanks!!

DrDeth
April 24th, 2007, 07:22
We're working on it! ;)

As a side-note:
Due to the release of FG-II, we have decided to release our FG-1 Database Editor for free. You can get details, or download it here:
https://www.wrath.co.za/node/32

Have fun!

Mammon
May 31st, 2007, 00:27
Wow. This is great. Can hardly wait for vII to come out...

Blue Haven
May 31st, 2007, 20:10
Very good :)
Thanks a lot :D

biomage
June 4th, 2007, 04:37
Dr. Deth - After reading (https://www.wrath.co.za/node/42)your troubles with South American banks, I hope you can figure out a way to get paid for the work you are doing.

However, unless you can find a way to get paid for your work, I would suggest releasing it opensource.

DrDeth
June 4th, 2007, 07:54
I'm still working on finding a solution, but no matter what happens, the comunity will still get RuleForge.

BlackDragonIndustries
June 18th, 2007, 18:36
I've only just downloaded FG for the first time, version 2 that is. I haven't had a chance to examine any of the code or play around with modifying the program, but I'm quite interested in creating new rulesets for other games that don't use, or use a modified version of the D20 ruleset.

I have to say, your program is a very attractive looking beast, and I'm quite looking forward to its Version 2 release. Keep up the excellent work.

DrDeth
June 19th, 2007, 07:11
I'm still working on finding a solution, but no matter what happens, the comunity will still get RuleForge.

I havent looked at this thread for quite some time, so for any future browsee's, here's a little feedback.

I've found three self-publishing sites that will allow me to distribute RuleForge quite easily. When the product nears completion I'll weigh up the options and pick one.

I have to say, your program is a very attractive looking beast, and I'm quite looking forward to its Version 2 release. Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks! You can check out some screenshots in 'The Gallery' forum.

demonsbane
June 26th, 2007, 15:38
Yes, keep working in Ruleforge for FantasyGrounds 2, please!

I agree with the others: it is (will be) very useful... essential.

DrDeth
June 27th, 2007, 07:12
Thanks! The support is most welcome!

Grey Mage
July 20th, 2007, 01:58
I checked your development blogs as well as the forums here and was curious as to how the work for RuleForge for FG2 is coming along. With all the changes made between FG1 and FG2 I can see how they will be two different animals...

Any news would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the good work.

F.

DrDeth
July 20th, 2007, 06:58
Hi Gray Mage,

Work is slow, but it continues. We're busy working on the editor for windowclass elements, which are the most complex as we have to essentially recreate controls that the user can drag around in a visual editor, but its not as simple as that - there are windowlists, templates, user-defined controls and other complex controls to consider in all of this. This is definately the most complex and time consuming part of the application, hence why there hasnt been much feedback lately.

Thanks for your interest though. I'm glad there are still people out there waiting for RuleForge.

Hamish
July 20th, 2007, 08:27
I'm also eagerly awaiting RuleForge for FG2.... can you give us an indication when you think it will be ready. I mean ballpark figure...... next month, Q4, 2008? (Surely no later than that I hope! :square: )

DrDeth
July 20th, 2007, 08:48
The best answer I could give is, "No later than Jan 2008". At that time, we'll either have a product, or we'll turn it into an Open Source project for the community.

Hamish
July 20th, 2007, 10:30
:D

Good enough for me!

Grey Mage
July 29th, 2007, 22:17
The update is appreciated. Thanks.

Nylanfs
September 7th, 2007, 04:06
DrDeth, just a note that I am also awaiting this. :)

Foen
September 7th, 2007, 06:36
The basic structure of the editor is in place, and the various components are now being put together (frame editor, custom die editor, script editor etc).

Cheers

Stuart
(Foen)

demonsbane
September 13th, 2007, 22:56
Go on, please.

Cheers

VgnFrnd
September 13th, 2007, 23:08
I am definitely interested in this project, and I would be perfectly happy to put my money where my keyboard is!

DrDeth
September 14th, 2007, 10:18
Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone!

Oberoten
September 15th, 2007, 00:13
Well, it is a wonderful product, one much needed in so many ways. *grins* Finally managed to wrap my head around LUA (which is a DANG nice language once you get used to it.)

Of course, what I really need now is something to meassure my placements of <stringfields> etc and show them as WYSIVG : )

- Obe

Griogre
September 15th, 2007, 00:40
Try IrfanView. Free Utility. When you draw an area you can see the location in the titlebar.

Oberoten
September 15th, 2007, 06:33
I allready have and use that one. It is a pretty useful tool most of the time. But it'd be SO much better to just have drag and drop. (Yeah, I am seriously lazy at times. ;) )

Griogre
September 15th, 2007, 19:47
Well, don't let me stop you from writing a better one or urging on Dr Deth. ;)

Oberoten
September 15th, 2007, 21:34
Well, don't let me stop you from writing a better one or urging on Dr Deth. ;)

*grins* Which part of the "Lazy" did you miss here? ;) I am much more likely to urge on the people who have the energy than to actually do this myself. :)

- Obe

Griogre
September 16th, 2007, 02:43
*grins* Which part of the "Lazy" did you miss here? ;) *snicker* I didn't miss anything - you said "I am seriously lazy at times." Thought it might not be one of those times. ;)

DrDeth
September 17th, 2007, 09:08
lol

Unfortunately I'm going to have to postpone the next beta (which will have the drag-and-drop windowclass design) until late November. I'm pretty swamped at the moment. :cry:

VgnFrnd
September 17th, 2007, 14:33
...waiting mode... :)

Oberoten
September 17th, 2007, 18:12
lol

Unfortunately I'm going to have to postpone the next beta (which will have the drag-and-drop windowclass design) until late November. I'm pretty swamped at the moment. :cry:

*points happily* See! SEE! It will have a simple drag and drop interface...
... I will in other words wait as long as I have to for this one. :)