PDA

View Full Version : How to archive a campaign when it's finished, without losing access to the resources?

Milmoor
May 8th, 2020, 20:23
I finished my first campaign and it was good fun. I now have a collection of images, maps, stories, (N)PC’s etc. which I want to build on in my next campaign. I would like to preserve the current state as a monument of this achievement *grin*. This will allow me to look things up. I can copy the campaign folder and just continue with the new one, but things will get cluttered after a while. The login from the new one will become slower and slower. And if I clean things up, some resources from hence won’t be accessible. Also the old one is not easily accessible. How to solve this, especially after a few years of campaigning. Not there yet, but I prefer to order things in advance, or it won’t happen at all.

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2020, 20:41
Export the assets you want from the finished campaign to a module and open the module in your new campaign.

See the video linked here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

Three of Swords
May 8th, 2020, 22:03
Someone will probably say it's not a good practice (and have a valid reason). But I copied my old campaign and renamed the folder to the new campaign name. Then deleted everything I didn't need. I found it easier than exporting a module and missing some things which happened the first time I tried it.

LordEntrails
May 8th, 2020, 22:57
It's really up to you to decide how much you want to bring forward. Be aware that when you export you can chose which items (via by type or drag and drop individual records) which to update. So you can keep your campaign as is, and then either duplicate the campaign and delete what you want and then have the old campaign as reference, or export parts of the old campaign into one or more modules. It all depends on how you want things organized.

Milmoor
May 9th, 2020, 08:06
For now I copied the folder to speed things up. We start this Sunday. I will create a module with the previous campaign later on. An export to HTML tool would be nice to archive things outside FG. If I ever break a leg, I might look into that ;).

esmdev
May 9th, 2020, 12:30
Exporting you campaign will save all your information into a module that can be incorporated later.

I generally have a campaign and a campaign_dev. I do most of my work in campaign_dev and then export that into a module and load it into the campaign I am running. It is a little cleaner because it doesn't include the tons of random stuff that might accumulate in the active campaign. Since several campaigns down the road you could end up with several modules it is nice to keep them as streamlined as possible.

Probably won't be as much an issue with FGU where memory isn't a big deal but in FGC can be.

LordEntrails
May 9th, 2020, 20:42
For now I copied the folder to speed things up. We start this Sunday. I will create a module with the previous campaign later on. An export to HTML tool would be nice to archive things outside FG. If I ever break a leg, I might look into that ;).
If its a 5E campaign you can use this print tool; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48045-Utility-FG-Print-Tool-(Print-campaigns-or-character-sheets)

Milmoor
May 12th, 2020, 19:30
@LordEntrails, thanks, that one looks very promising.
@esmdev, sounds like a good method as soon as your campaign is getting a bit bigger than mine. I'll keep it it mind.