PDA

View Full Version : How do I nest tables to get a more complicated template?

MeepTheChangeling
May 8th, 2020, 07:55
I'm using the Pathfinder (1st) rule set and I just learned we can have random generators via tables and templates. It's a godsend! The problem is I want to have a Story Template where I can run it and get a random parasle of scrolls. If they were all the same level, that would be no problem I got that figured out. The issue is I want to do the folowing:

Create a story template which once run will like a random number of scrolls, which will be 0th, 1st, and/or 2nd level scrolls, AND have them all linked so I can drag them to other places. IE a thing that could decide "2 0th level, 1st.", or "3 1st", or "1 0th, 3 2nd".

I jsut can't figure out how to do that. I would love to know how, because then I would be able to make a nice little treasure generator and save a TON of prep/game time. Can someone tell me how I do this, or direct me to a proper tutorial?

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2020, 08:40
Firstly a story template won't create a treasure parcel. And Story templates don't work too well with nested or multicolumn tables.

I think what you want is simple a table which is set to output to a parcel and which rolls on a number of different tables to generate the items you want in that parcel. To roll a random number of 1st level scrolls for example you would have a column on the main table which rolled [1d6x][Scroll Table 1] (or whatever number and name you chose). Scroll Table 1 would then have all the level one scrolls linked to the table rows. If you wanted an either/or scenario then you would want three tables. The main one would call something like [1d6x][Random] and the random table would be two rows one of which called first level scrolls and the other which called second level scrolls.

MeepTheChangeling
May 8th, 2020, 09:04
"I think what you want is simple a table which is set to output to a parcel and which rolls on a number of different tables to generate the items you want in that parcel."

That sounds fantastic. How do I do any of it?

Also I didn't necessarily mean an in game parsle. Sorry about that. I'm not used to the Terminology here. I've used FG for like... a month? And only just learned it has far more automation than merely resolving attacks.

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2020, 09:29
"I think what you want is simple a table which is set to output to a parcel and which rolls on a number of different tables to generate the items you want in that parcel."

That sounds fantastic. How do I do any of it?

Also I didn't necessarily mean an in game parsle. Sorry about that. I'm not used to the Terminology here. I've used FG for like... a month? And only just learned it has far more automation than merely resolving attacks.

Read the Wiki article here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/918248/Using+Tables+to+Create+Random+Results

And watch this video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJfCVCXKsM&feature=youtu.be

MeepTheChangeling
May 8th, 2020, 09:34
Thanks! I was trying to drag tables into tables XD

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2020, 09:44
Thanks! I was trying to drag tables into tables XD

You can do that too. Type the [1d6x] into a row and drag/drop the table link into the start of the row.

LordEntrails
May 8th, 2020, 17:08
I haven't dived into it yet, but checkout jimsock s 2020 Generator module. I believe he does all sort of tables (and templates) in it. Might have some good exams to look at.