PDA

View Full Version : MAC - Running second instance on same computer

Minethulhu
May 8th, 2020, 01:43
With FGC, I would typically have a second instance running so I can view things as a player without needing a second PC. FGU wasn't entirely happy installing a second instance as a demo copy (seems a lot of the configuration information of this second instance was taking data from the primary install). Since my second instance was already sharing with my primary install, I decided to ditch the second instance and do the following.

1. Start the MacOS Script Editor (depending on version of MacOS, may be named Editor or Script Editor or something similar) located in the Applications -> Utilities folder.

2. Create a script pointing to my install of FGU:

do shell script "open -n '/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app'&"
NOTE: You can get the path by dragging and dropping the Fantasy Grounds app into the editor.
NOTE: The single quotes ' around the path are there because the space in the directory would otherwise cause open to treate this as 2 different arguments vs. one longer one.

3. It should look like this:

4. Test it by hitting the "run" button (it should launch Fantasy Grounds).

5. Export it and be sure to make it an application:

You should then be able to move this new "application" to wherever you wish and use it to launch Fantasy Grounds.

WARNING
Be sure to use only one instance to "Load" a campaign. I'm not sure how happy this will be if you try to load multiple campaigns (or the same one twice) since it would be using the same directories twice.

fieldson
May 9th, 2020, 04:12
The AppleScript app is also found in this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post497276

Minethulhu
May 10th, 2020, 00:14
Whoops. Looks like I re-invented the wheel.