PDA

View Full Version : BRP Upgraded to CoreRPG v3.0

superteddy57
May 7th, 2020, 20:09
Moving to Live - 6/30/2020
We will be moving from Test to Live on the next Tuesday release. Please start making your data ready for migration to this new system by then. The old Live version will not be available after this date.

If you have any questions, please field them here and I will answer the best I can.

Installing
To use this new ruleset, you will need to change over to the Test version of FGC/FGU.

FGC
You can change over to the Test version, by choosing settings in the dashboard and clicking the radio button for test under updates.

FGU
You can change over to the Test version, by choosing settings in the dashboard. You will then need to click on the advanced tab and change Live to Test.

Overview
Basic Roleplaying has been in need of an upgrade to it's code to start taking advantage of the great new features of CoreRPG. This will open it to allow to use CoreRPG based extensions and future updates to Core itself.

Features

Based on CoreRPG.
Same functionality as with earlier version.

Feedback
Please let us know what you think of the changes. We're planning to keep this on the Test server for some time to give players a chance to try it out and see if we can find bugs that may have been missed. We plan to keep functional changes fairly minor, if possible, so we can focus on getting this to Live with a working and smooth running ruleset.

Updates

5/12/20 - [Fixed] Minor bugs and added reflists for each of the previous version's types. Added sidebar buttons for skills, professions, powers, and items. Also updated all other modules as well to use this functionality.
5/19/20 - [Fixed] Sort on CT. Added Action Managers for common roll types. Setup drag n drop damage and attack rolls.
5/19/20 - [Fixed] NPC sheet. Made it lockable and changed some formatting of the frames.
5/20/20 - [Fixed] NPC Hit Location properly hiding when option is not enabled. Notes tab producing error related to entering skill. Skill specification on character sheet and skill bonus being factored from characteristics.
6/15/20 - [Fixed] Added difficulty modifiers to Modifier Box. Included roll functionality to work with added levels of difficulty. Also, fixed double click of name to roll attack and powers.

Known Issue Currently

peterb
May 11th, 2020, 08:29
Hi,

I've done some tests by using existing Basic Roleplaying modules.

I cannot drag and drop Weapons from the Game System module to the main tab. An example of an error code is:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_weapons : reference.BRPlists.list-008@BRP Game System X)

The error occurs when I try to open a list of items.

I can drag and drop spells from "Basic Magic".

If I try and drag a creature from "Basic Creatures" I get:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_creatures : reference.BCreatureslists.list-002@Basic Creatures)

So it seems the code that handles lists is not loaded or needs to be updated.

I have not tried the Combat Tracker (yet).

I note that the campaign preferences are missing. That's where you set whether to use hit locations, EDU, call power points magic points, to use sanity rules etc.

Also there is no armour tab in the character sheet.

So far the ruleset has basic functionality but there is a bit of work to do...

On the plus side: A big bonus is that the code is readable (If you know how), which is almost a necessity when you are dealing with BRP as its a very modular game system and a GM will want to modify which skills are used, base chances and such.

/Peter

peterb
May 11th, 2020, 09:05
Hi again,

I modified base.xml and added 5E to "importinfo" so that I could load 5E modules. I was thinking that since 5E is derived from CoreRPG maybe I could open equipment lists and such. But no, those lists are defined in 5E. Which makes sense as I think of it, anyhow this is the error message I got:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_weapontable : reference.equipmentlists.weapontable@DD5E SRD Data)

/Peter

superteddy57
May 11th, 2020, 15:55
Hi,

I've done some tests by using existing Basic Roleplaying modules.

I cannot drag and drop Weapons from the Game System module to the main tab. An example of an error code is:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_weapons : reference.BRPlists.list-008@BRP Game System X)

The error occurs when I try to open a list of items.

I can drag and drop spells from "Basic Magic".

If I try and drag a creature from "Basic Creatures" I get:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_creatures : reference.BCreatureslists.list-002@Basic Creatures)

So it seems the code that handles lists is not loaded or needs to be updated.

I have not tried the Combat Tracker (yet).

I note that the campaign preferences are missing. That's where you set whether to use hit locations, EDU, call power points magic points, to use sanity rules etc.

Also there is no armour tab in the character sheet.

So far the ruleset has basic functionality but there is a bit of work to do...

On the plus side: A big bonus is that the code is readable (If you know how), which is almost a necessity when you are dealing with BRP as its a very modular game system and a GM will want to modify which skills are used, base chances and such.

/Peter

Thank you for the report. I can check on the weapons and creatures reference lists and see why they are producing errors when dropped.

As for the campaign Preferences, they should be located in the same Prefs buttons, but also the rest of options as well. The options you were referring too are located in House Rules. The Armor tab will appear once you have selected to Use Armor Location as was the same process with the earlier ruleset.

superteddy57
May 11th, 2020, 15:58
Hi again,

I modified base.xml and added 5E to "importinfo" so that I could load 5E modules. I was thinking that since 5E is derived from CoreRPG maybe I could open equipment lists and such. But no, those lists are defined in 5E. Which makes sense as I think of it, anyhow this is the error message I got:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (reference_weapontable : reference.equipmentlists.weapontable@DD5E SRD Data)

/Peter

I'm not sure what this would accomplish as the BRP's modules were set up to do only BRP FG2 code. Not all CoreRPG rulesets are the same and modifications are made from ruleset to ruleset.

peterb
May 11th, 2020, 17:30
I'm not sure what this would accomplish as the BRP's modules were set up to do only BRP FG2 code. Not all CoreRPG rulesets are the same and modifications are made from ruleset to ruleset.

No you are right, I wouldn't have accomplished anything. I was just trying to see if the ruleset recognized the listclasses of 5E, which it of course did not.

/Peter

peterb
May 11th, 2020, 17:34
Thank you for the report. I can check on the weapons and creatures reference lists and see why they are producing errors when dropped.
I can't find any definitions of the listclasses referenced. The internal structure of the new version of the ruleset is quite different, so it seems they are missing.

As for the campaign Preferences, they should be located in the same Prefs buttons, but also the rest of options as well. The options you were referring too are located in House Rules. The Armor tab will appear once you have selected to Use Armor Location as was the same process with the earlier ruleset.
OK. Thanks for that piece of information. I didn't notice that. I'll test it.

/Peter

superteddy57
May 12th, 2020, 03:49
I'm working on them now. I should have an update out here soon as I did a quick update to how it's done within the ruleset. The library data will be there, but wanted to be sure it was easy to find without opening up the library each time.

i3ullseye
May 12th, 2020, 20:48
How similar or different is this to Call of Cthulhu 7E? Will things built within that ruleset function similarly?

superteddy57
May 12th, 2020, 21:53
It will work similar to the previous live version with changes on the backend. The goal here is to get it to 3.0 and layered on CoreRPG. This will then make it able to receive updates and features. This will also make it take advantage of the FGU features as well. This won't be associated with CoC or CoC7E in terms how that is built. I used the code that was there from the Live version and updated it. I will be adding one addition in linking equipment, powers, skills, and professions to the sidebar so you won't have to open the library each time. I am almost finished a large update to the ruleset and all the modules will work with these new features and ensure the data is linked correctly with the new CoreRPG layer.

peterb
May 15th, 2020, 06:21
I've done some quick tests of the new library refrerences:

Drag items to inventory: OK (btw you cannot do this in the previous version of the ruleset, so that's a bonus)
Drag weapons from the weapon lists in the game system module to the weapon list on the main tab of the character sheet: OK
Drag a creature from BRP Creatures to the NPC window: OK
Drag a spell from BRP Basic Magic to the powers tab in the character sheet: OK
Create an MyQuest extension and change the default skill list: OK

So far so good.

Still to do: test the CT.

Thanks superteddy57 for your efforts in modernizing this ruleset!

/Peter

superteddy57
May 15th, 2020, 07:47
My pleasure! Keep the reports coming. I appreciate the efforts in testing it for me.

Anendel
May 17th, 2020, 02:12
Wow ! Thanks for this new release !

I've tested to drag skills roll from character in the chat and it doesn't show anything, if you doubleclick it works well. On the main sheet i'm able to drag "Effort, stam, etc" in the chat and it works well.

superteddy57
May 17th, 2020, 05:29
So when you drag the skill roll to the chat, nothing gets rolled or it rolls, but nothing displays?

Anendel
May 17th, 2020, 11:37
So when you drag the skill roll to the chat, nothing gets rolled or it rolls, but nothing displays?

It rolls and nothing is displayed in the chat. (only for the skill sheet)

Laila
May 17th, 2020, 17:47
First of all... OMG, I LOVE YOU! <3

No, seriously, that's great news!
I've asked a few times if any upgrade for the ruleset is planned and even the most recent answer was "No".
So I'm really happy to see this :o

I've started to work on an upgrade myself, but as free time is sparse and the docs are not exactly overly helpful, progress was rather slow... (so slow that I didn't even mention it)

superteddy57
May 18th, 2020, 00:37
@Anendel Thank you for the report. I have to give it a look over and see why the rolls aren't registering.

@Laila Well it's the same ruleset, just sitting on Core now. So, no major changes. Some of the changes was just updating how some of the code worked with CoreRPG.

Laila
May 18th, 2020, 14:11
Hey @superteddy57 :)

Yes, you've mentioned that. I do realize there still won't be as many features as with other rulesets.
But it's already great if the CoreRPG functions are accessible, as it already has a lot of cool features!

I do have a question though:
Are you layering on the CoreRPG with minimal changes (only what is really necessary so that it runs) or are you actually adapting to the code structure used in the CoreRPG, like using Action Managers, etc?
I'll probably still be working on mine as well or extending yours, depending on which one makes more sense, as I want to add some new features on the long run.
I've started restructuring it to use the new conventions and functions, but I'm really still on the "charactersheet_main", because I think it's rather difficult to understand the concepts etc when starting off anew...
But if you're familiar with the general framework FG provides, maybe you can help me out with specific questions ;)

superteddy57
May 18th, 2020, 14:34
The code has been updated to use most of the templates in CoreRPG. As most of the code was using only the base elements to create what it had. All this did really was give it a familiar look for today's developers and understand what is going on the code. The only thing retained was what was needed to work with the modules that were released. It uses a GameLine extension method to lay out what is needed in that module. Like for example BRP Rome. Unless I wanted to go through and remake those modules, I had to stick to what was there in that regard. I did only do one thing that was not in the original code and that was to add sidebar options for the tracked records, like powers, skills, and professions. So this is the closest I could get to a mix of the old code and the new CoreRPG code. The older side of the ruleset is an actual great learning experience, since most of it is at it's base level. You can actually see what those parts do and how to get them to do what you want. Just can look a bit odd when you've seen 3.0+ code for a very long time. The way to extend off of this would through the GameLine code as that changes everything about the ruleset.

peterb
May 18th, 2020, 15:43
It rolls and nothing is displayed in the chat. (only for the skill sheet)

Actually it's the same when dragging weapon skills rolls on the main tab and also if you drag a powers skill value from the powers tab.

Also if you drag an ability roll (for example stammina) to the chat window, a roll is made but it does not say what was rolled. If you double-click you get the proper string: character name skill name (skill level) d100 roll result.

Dragging damage rolls: rolls the damage but do not say what kind of roll you made.

Double clicking a ability value (that is not the characteristic roll) makes a proper roll, with the proper text but uses the raw ability value instead of (ability value * 5). So with a CON score of 10, it rolls against 10% and not 50%. Just to be clear - double clicking the stamina roll box works as expected.

superteddy57
May 18th, 2020, 19:35
@peterb Thanks for the report. I'm actually going to clean up that code and get all of those dragable to the chat. So be on the look out for an update soon.

joeblack1863
May 18th, 2020, 19:55
@ superteddy57,

Firstly, thank you for this nice surprise, I thought this was a dead ruleset and was looking at the daunting task of trying update it myself. BRP is a great base for extending to Mythras, Runequest later versions, so it may gain a mini revival as a result of this!

As for feedback, one observation, which may be becuase it was never in the original ruleset (I can't remember):-

Using the combat tracker, you can target and enemy, and also when using the map (CTRL+LMB on the enemy target).
Doubleclicking on the weapon in the weapons list (Main Tab), does not resolve the attack (hit or miss); doubleclicking on the damge also does not resolve damage on the target.
Dropping the weapons to hit dice on to the taget in the CT or Map also does not resolve. Same with the damage.

If this is not part of the update (the complexity of the combat resolution may be the reason), then fine. Just thought I would pass this on.

Joe

joeblack1863
May 18th, 2020, 20:17
@superteddy57,

Possible Bug:

1. Create a character,
2. Go to Skills tab.
3. Select and right click on a skill to bring up the wheel.
4. Choose Group.
5. Right Click on a skill again to bring up the wheel.
Error:
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (texttable)

Joe

superteddy57
May 18th, 2020, 21:30
@joeblack1863 Thanks for the reports! I was able to track down that texttable issue and will be putting it in an update with some new managers to handle rolls. I haven't checked the original to be sure, but didn't see it in the code that it auto calculated an attack. The damage seems right. In any case, I am adding in the automation for damage and the rollers will list success/fail of the attack roll. I may need some guidance on BRP's inner workings and might need someone to chat with to be sure all of this is working as intended. In either case, it may take a day or two to finish this up as I'm working through NPCs right now. So, it's not a new feature, but just smoothing out what is there.

joeblack1863
May 18th, 2020, 22:08
@superteddy57,

That's brilliant, glad I was able to help squash a bug, I'll keep looking.

With regard to the combat (to hit and damage), I will go back and look at the original BRP rules to see if I can help. Thanks for looking at implementing this, if possible ofcourse.

A thought came to me that there is someone on this forum who may be better suited to help, namely Blackfoot. He has his own thread in which he is converting BRP to Runequest II. The last thread suggesting he is looking for tech help on the combat code (which should be very similar to BRP from what I remember).

Maybe he can assist you and you can assist him? Hopefully I am not sounding bossy, it just struck me, having followed both these threads that you may have a common purpose. As I said, I will do what I can to answer any questions, onece I get my head around the old rules again.

Joe

superteddy57
May 19th, 2020, 05:46
That is the great thing about us having this in the Test server first before rolling it out is to find those kind of bugs and get them resolved. Please do hunt away. Try to break it. I have spoken to Blackfoot and he was a great help in some parts of it, but he told me he was mainly a RuneQuest fan. Still a huge help with the questions I did have.

Blackfoot
May 19th, 2020, 11:33
A thought came to me that there is someone on this forum who may be better suited to help, namely Blackfoot. He has his own thread in which he is converting BRP to Runequest II. The last thread suggesting he is looking for tech help on the combat code (which should be very similar to BRP from what I remember).

Maybe he can assist you and you can assist him? Hopefully I am not sounding bossy, it just struck me, having followed both these threads that you may have a common purpose. As I said, I will do what I can to answer any questions, onece I get my head around the old rules again.

JoeSadly, while I'm familiar with the BRP rules in concept, the specifics are not something I have access to or knowledge of so I am not much use there... other than general functionality.

joeblack1863
May 19th, 2020, 11:55
That's great, I have been reading through the combat side of things and have a pretty good grasp of initiative and strike ranks again.

I will hang on to those thoughts for the time being as you are working on NPCs and I don't want to distract you.

So I took a look at NPCs and spotted some things (you may have already spotted these):

A
1. Create an NPC
2. Click on Race (tick)
3. Look down at the bottom of the new view of the characteristics.

Almost hidden is a text box below appearance, this is Education and just doesn't fit in the space with the others.

B
1. Create an NPC
2. Click on Race (tick)
3. Switch to Combat tab.
Hit locations no longer display below your selected race (with the exception of Custom).
This may not be a bug it may be as intended. It feels like the click on Race on the Main tab may be to create your own custom NPC, but I don't know why this would preclude you from using Humaniod or one of the others.

C
1. Combat Tab
2. Drag and drop a weapon to the blank list (second entry), fails to add item.
3. Drag and drop to the first entry in the list and it works.
4. It means you have to drag on to the top blank entry to add an item. The top it remains blank.
4. NOTE: The attk% entry is not filled in, only the damage.

I found no errors being thrown when using, but will keep going.

Joe

joeblack1863
May 19th, 2020, 12:06
Quick addition to C on my above list.

If you manually fill in the top blank entry, then you can no longer drag and drop weapons to the list. Even if you then remove the text, it will no longer allow drag and drop entries to the weapon list.

Joe

Laila
May 19th, 2020, 13:20
I haven't run too many Sessions with BRP, so there are some rules I've never used, but I've actually got a very good grasp of the rules, as I focused my bachelor thesis (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282018528_The_Design_of_the_mighty_BRP_Tool_-_Designing_the_PP_RPG_Tool_using_Software_Ergonomi cs_Standards) on designing a tool for BRP ;)
So I should be able to help for the most part.

@joeblack1863 and @Blackfoot If you'd be interested and if SmiteWorks agrees to, we could use a shared repository (Gitlab, Bitbucket or whatever SmiteWorks uses) and work on extending the ruleset together bit by bit, so in the end we have a full fledged ruleset with all the automation that other rulesets like D&D have as well.
As mentioned before, I don't have too much time, and I guess you guys have other things to do as well. But if everyone contributes even just a little from time to time, we'd get there at some point :)

And we could also think about layering Runequest and CoC on top of BRP later on if we can add a lot of common base features, as BRP is derived from all the other Chaosium systems after all. But I don't have any knowledge of the other systems, so I can't say how similar the (old) BRP rules are to the newest editions of those other systems.

joeblack1863
May 19th, 2020, 17:39
@Laila,

I can only speak for myself in this, I am only interested in one thing, seeing this ruleset upgraded to Core RPG.

This is a paid ruleset, that has lost it's way, when the developer left (is my understanding). Now its getting an upgrade and @superteddy57 is the one who owns this. Thinking too far ahead and committing to tweek here and there and add new stuff is feature creep, the bane of all developers. As one of my mentors once told (long time ago now), "feature creep; you add a lot but finish nothing".

My only thoughts are to help out @superteddy57 when I can, focusing on the main goal; the upgraded version of the original rules in CoreRPG v3.0.

I hope I am not coming over to strong, I like your enthusiasm and ideas. You seem to have the most experience with BRP of any of us, so I really suggest you speak to @superteddy57 and help to get this ruleset upgraded.

Joe

superteddy57
May 19th, 2020, 20:09
@joeblack1863 Thanks for the reports. I'm going to push a new update that fixes the NPC sheet a bit with formatting and the issues you are running into. I am not sure how this will be taken, but I removed the picture frame. It's a throw back and gives us more space for the abilities now. When it gets pushed, give it a try and see what you think.

joeblack1863
May 19th, 2020, 22:28
@superteddy57,

Thanks, I have downloaded it and for me, it looks a lot better without the graphic. I am starting to wonder about the "Race?" label with the tick. I am going to have a read up on NPCs because the label and what it does when you click it don't make sense. The tick when on, seems to allow editing; so maybe Race? should be changed to "Edit?". Let me check to see if I can work out why Race? was used instead.

A
MainTab. Good, no errors. Just maybe changing the label from race to edit (or removed and the functionality moved to the padlock at the top of the form? There probably wasn't a padlock on the original form so the dev created the tick for editing?)

B
Combat Tab. Missing the hit location dropdown and entries now (assume it went missing due to being worked on?), but otherwise all there. I assume you havent worked on the weapons list so will ignore that at bthe moment. No errors though with what is there.

Appearances and notes are both fine. No errors coming up.

I will get back to you on what I found out about the Race? label.

Joe

joeblack1863
May 19th, 2020, 23:16
@superteddy57,

UPDATE:

C
Notes Tab
Enter any letter in field causes error (means you can't enter the skills):
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/npcskillfield.lua"]:37: attempt to index global 'gameline' (a nil value)

Joe

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 10:00
@joeblack1863

I wasn't exactly talking about feature creep, and trust me I know what that is...
It's obviously great if the BRP ruleset is upgraded to CoreRPG. That was my priority as well, because CoreRPG already has heaps of great features, especially with FGU <3
But I don't think there is much to help superteddy57 code-wise. Sure, testing and giving feedback helps and I'll do that too and appreciate your work there as well, as it speeds up the progress.

From what I understood, superteddy57 will finalize the upgrade (about 1000x faster than I could) and will then switch to other tasks.
My thinking was more like: "This is so cool! So I can skip that part and use what he'll provide and go on from there."
Meaning whenever I have time I could work on a new feature, and once it's done SmiteWorks could think about adding it to the official ruleset.
And with feature I don't mean overly big tasks, but small changes, like a new skin or maybe automating some effects (e.g. bad sight = -10% on all perception skills or something like that).
Whatever seems helpful during play.

I thought, maybe because you mentioned starting on an upgrade as well, you might be interested to cooperate and contribute something whenever you feel like it, if there is anything else you'd desire apart from the CoreRPG and original ruleset functionalities. And I guess that would be a little easier if we'd coordinate a little, so we don't work on the same thing without realising.
And as for Blackfoot who's rocking it with features for Runequest ;D I thought it might make sense to re-use some of his work in the BRP so we'd have a shared base for other Chaosium rulesets as well (if other community devs want to do some custom rulesets/extensions as well).

My main goal after the CoreRPG upgrade was making a "Lists" menu where the user can configure the available skills etc without creating an extension, because I think it'd be more accessable for not coding affine people. And I'd create a new skin, because I personally don't like the current look.

So, you obviously don't need to feel obligated or pushed to do anything on the ruleset :)
It was really just meant to focus the effort of people that are working on new features anyways, so we could have a shared and therefore faster progress overall.

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 10:30
@superteddy57,

BUG:
When entering a skill specification (e.g. Language, Other) and hitting enter (should add a "duplicate" skill for adding another specification), an error occurs and the skills are not displayed anymore, even after closing the window. Restarting FG helps.
Warning: setValue: Recursive call terminated for (numberconrtol) (base)
Error message: Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/charsheet_skilllist.lua"]:315: attempt to call field 'setState' (a nil value)

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 10:34
BUG:
When the "Skill Category Bonus" is activated in the Options, the numberfield is visible on the skill groups, but the number cannot be changed and isn't calculated automatically either (according to Stats).
No Warning or Error messages.

Also, the "+" dice (game elements) isn't used in BRP and was removed in the old ruleset.

superteddy57
May 20th, 2020, 16:27
Thank you for the reports!

@joeblack1863
A) That is rooted in many modules for BRP and designates whether the roll frame and avg. show up. They function fine in either case and are working exactly as the original did it.
B) I am able to see the Hit Location drop down on my end. Also to show the hit locations, you must also enable the option in the preferences. Please check there as well to ensure you have it on.
C) Fixed in upcoming update

@Laila
1) Fixed in upcoming update
2) Fixed in upcoming update
3) The '+' dice is default with CoreRPG. Some rulesets remove it. It isn't a bug.

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 18:17
3) The '+' dice is default with CoreRPG. Some rulesets remove it. It isn't a bug.

:D Yes, I know it's not a bug and is default. But it looks a little weird because the alignment doesn't match with the others, as it wasn't used in the old BRP.
And thanks for fixing the two bugs! ^^

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 19:07
Cosmetic BUG:
On the PCs Main sheet when clicking on a characteristic for entering a value, a partially transparent box appears that overlaps the other characteristics and rolls.
Also, the Education characteristic is still outside of the frame ;)

superteddy57
May 20th, 2020, 19:29
@Laila Can you show me a screenshot of the cosmetic bug please? Also a picture of the out of bounds for the Education characteristic, as both the NPC and Character sheets both show the Education characteristic just fine on my end.

Edit

Here's a picture of what I see.

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 19:52
The selected characteristic here is STR.

I have a resolution of 1920x1080 (fullscreen). It doesn't seem to always happen, but often. And I've also noticed that the box isn't always the same size. I once had a box that was only as big as the field itself, but with an offset to the field.

Could you also have a look at the "Armor" tab? It doesn't show for me and was mentioned before.

superteddy57
May 20th, 2020, 20:04
Did you enable the Hit Location Option? It should show after you have turned it on and reloaded the ruleset or created a new one. That might be an issue related to Unity and not the ruleset. I know that other rulesets are having the same issue in a similar manner. Let me see what that side has found and see what might be causing that.

joeblack1863
May 20th, 2020, 20:42
Hi @superteddy57,

Yes, I checked with the rules. Race? label is incongruant with the functionality as it really is an edit. In the rules the left hand larger box is for entering either a fixed number or a dice value (e.g. 2D6). The right smaller box is for either the fixed number in the bigger box (straight copy accross) or for the average of the dice (e.g. 2D6 is an average of 7). So the smaller right hand box is the calculated value that is used in play). However, you are right, it works, so fine by me for no change.

With regard to the hit locations, I had update the ruleset and recreated the test campaign, and had forgot to set the prefs!! All tested properly this time and all good.

Joe

[edit] ignore the attachment if you saw it before I removed it.

@Laila,

Are you using FGU? That looks like an FGU issue as in Classic, the NPC form is good.

Laila
May 20th, 2020, 20:47
You're right about the Armor! I thought I activated it, but must have been in the other campaign I created for testing. Sorry for that.

It seems like I generally have some UI issues ^^'

Yes, I'm using FGU. Didn't test it in FGC.

[edit] @joeblack1863 Is right, the UI issues only occur in FGU, just checked it in FGC.

superteddy57
May 20th, 2020, 20:56
Ok, that makes more sense. I am going to see what the difference is between the two versions. I know FGU is a bit more strict when it comes to code and might need adjustment for FGU. I do apologize for not checking with FGU as much through this process. It is easier to develop in FGC currently.

@joeblack1863 So for NPCs, would it be better to have the rolls / avg. up all the time then?

joeblack1863
May 20th, 2020, 21:40
@superteddy57,

Personally, I think it looks better up all of the time. The Race? label is confusing so I won't be sad to see the back of it.

I checked the old ruleset and ther appears to be no automation on the fileds, so it doesn't calculate the avg. for you. I checked dropping it on the combat tracker and it doesn't roll the dice to create the stats for the creature. They are just fields to enter data and make the calculations or die rolls manually. You use the average when you don't want to have to roll all those die.

With regard to FGC/FGU, how should we proceed. I am testing in FGC at the moment, but if you just want to move the whole thing to FGU, I have that as well.

Joe

superteddy57
May 21st, 2020, 05:51
I would keep reporting, but understand that there may be differences till I am able to sort what is ruleset and what is caused by FGU. I actually like that both versions are being seen and considered. Just might mean double the work :)

joeblack1863
May 21st, 2020, 17:31
@superteddy57,

Will do, I'll continue with Classic.

Just loaded your latest release and can confirm that entering skills in the skills field on the notes tab for NPCs no longer errors.

ISSUE
Checked that Hit Location was ON. Hit locations now not showing on Combat TAB. Tried turning off Hit Location, still not showing. Turned back on - not showing, Restart - not showing.
NOTE: Checked other pref options (Power Points, Fatigue). Both work as expected.

Joe

Laila
May 21st, 2020, 17:54
Okay, then I'll continue with the FGU :)

BUG (?)
I think the languages don't work correctly.
I've defined some in the Prefs and added them to the respective characters (written the same way), but when I write in a certain language within the chat window, no characters are displayed under "understood by", even though there shoulb be some.

Laila
May 21st, 2020, 21:13
@superteddy57
Would it be possible to also add the paragraph types / text formatting to all BRP text fields?
E.g. for the "Items > Notes" it doesn't show up.

superteddy57
May 21st, 2020, 22:21
@Laila
Are you adding them to the Notes tab or to the Skills tab? I'm just making sure of the process.

@joeblack1863
Can you double check again? I am able to see the Armor Tab with the hit locations

superteddy57
May 22nd, 2020, 02:35
Okay, then I'll continue with the FGU :)

BUG (?)
I think the languages don't work correctly.
I've defined some in the Prefs and added them to the respective characters (written the same way), but when I write in a certain language within the chat window, no characters are displayed under "understood by", even though there shoulb be some.

I tested with a second instance and saw on the player's side no mention of who understood it. I also added the language to the Notes tab. The host side did list the characters that understood the language.

joeblack1863
May 22nd, 2020, 11:07
Can you double check again? I am able to see the Armor Tab with the hit locations

I should have made it clear, I was talking about the NPC form not the character form. The Combat Tab on NPCs form, holds the hit locations below the Armor field. That went missing after the last update.

Do you have a shared drive that could hold a spreadsheet with tabs for each area? We could drop in any bugs issues to the appropriate area and you could then just work on the fixes and indicate to us when they are fixed. We could then retest them?

That might help. but its really up to you and what you are happy with.

Joe

superteddy57
May 22nd, 2020, 16:02
@joeblack1863 I am an utter dunce. I had it originally set to when Power Points was being used, then I noticed that and changed it, but forgot to put in a letter for the option. I will have it out once I look over to see if any more bugs come in.

Laila
May 22nd, 2020, 19:46
@superteddy57:
I've added them to the Notes, but I didn't realise that I need "players" for testing it, with activated characters. I was assuming it would just show all the chars that had the language added, when I write something in that language to the chat.
So now after testing with "players", it works as expected :)
Sorry for the false report.

superteddy57
May 22nd, 2020, 21:51
No, it's all good Laila. More the better. Your doing great and helping me a ton.

Anendel
May 29th, 2020, 00:38
Ok found some new bug, i'm sad I didn't test it before today I would have like to give it a real test at my live game tomorrow XD. Anyways here is the new bug I found :

Bug 1 :
When I tried to open a story link on my map, an error come :
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (story : story.id-00008)

Bug 2 (probably the cause of bug 1) :
When I go in story, my story are not there but my Encounters are !

Bug 3 :
My notes are empty.

Bug 4 :
My encounters are empty (Actually they are in the story tab XD)

I couldn't find my notes nor my stories in any other tabs, so I needed to go back to the old version in order to get it back.

Just tell me if you find something i'll be glad to test any tweaks :).

Thanks again !

superteddy57
May 29th, 2020, 01:02
@Anendel Is this with a purchased module or one created by yourself?

Story record type is no longer used and was changed to encounter. I believed I updated all the modules, but it can be over looked. If you created these entries then you will have to remake the links to the story entries. Updating to CoreRPG means using their record types and naming conventions for standard things. The old version of BRP did not do this and old data may need to be remade.

Anendel
May 29th, 2020, 05:21
@Anendel Is this with a purchased module or one created by yourself?

Story record type is no longer used and was changed to encounter. I believed I updated all the modules, but it can be over looked. If you created these entries then you will have to remake the links to the story entries. Updating to CoreRPG means using their record types and naming conventions for standard things. The old version of BRP did not do this and old data may need to be remade.

Ok ok, it’s the purshased module i’m using. Any cue on how I can reformat my data instead of make everything back? Like reformat my xml file.

superteddy57
May 29th, 2020, 10:46
Yeah, you can go into the xml and change out <story> and </story> with <encounter> and </encounter>. I would suggest backing up your module first before attempting in case something goes wrong.

Laila
May 31st, 2020, 12:20
@superteddy57
Not a bug or anything, but could you maybe add the "Size" and "Reach" fields to the NPCs? They're in the CoreRPG but probably didn't exist back when the BRP was created.
I think it would be a handy addition and there is enough space below the "Move" in the "Main" tab to easily add them.

superteddy57
May 31st, 2020, 19:02
Sure that is possible. I'll look into it for Monday and see if I can get it out with my next push.

Laila
May 31st, 2020, 23:07
Great, thank you! :)

Laila
June 5th, 2020, 13:37
@superteddy57:
I've noticed that the standard modifiers "easy (x2)" and "difficult (/2)" aren't there anymore.
They used to be next to the dice. But they're not in the modifiers tab either. So those would be great to have again ;)

I'm gonna run a live session with the BRP tomorrow evening with my group.
That should give me a good possibility to check some more features and see if everything works (except for the general Unity issues).

superteddy57
June 5th, 2020, 18:53
@Laila Certainly I can add those back in. Keep a look out for a new update.

Azaran
June 11th, 2020, 07:33
Second game in now and the ruleset is running really well. Just a couple of observations

On damage if you have hit locations enabled, it should automatically roll the hit locations to figure out where the damage should be applied and how much armor protects to reduce damage before it is then applied to the top level hit points.
I'd advise that on a successful hit roll, a hit location is auto rolled to store the destination location ready for the next damage roll.

Also, on the table for the hit locations when it's enabled, the armor total is hiding under the next column making it impossible to read.

All in all though, we're loving it!

superteddy57
June 11th, 2020, 07:56
I will check the Live version and see if that functionality is there. If so, I'll see where I missed putting it in.

peterb
June 11th, 2020, 09:33
On damage if you have hit locations enabled, it should automatically roll the hit locations to figure out where the damage should be applied and how much armor protects to reduce damage before it is then applied to the top level hit points.
I'd advise that on a successful hit roll, a hit location is auto rolled to store the destination location ready for the next damage roll.

AFAIK, This a not a feature of the "old" rule-set. Also (IMO) it's quite complex to implement.

For example:

There might be different hit location tables for melee and missile weapons
A spell (such as Bladesharp) might add damage
A special hits do more damage, criticals ignore damage
A spell like protection might add armour protection to all hitlocations
A successful parry will negate all or some of the damage.
etc.

IMO there's simply to many exceptions to the basic rule.

If you want to add a new feature I'd say a Effects tab on the character sheet is a better start.

/Peter

Azaran
June 12th, 2020, 22:40
AFAIK, This a not a feature of the "old" rule-set. Also (IMO) it's quite complex to implement.

For example:

There might be different hit location tables for melee and missile weapons
A spell (such as Bladesharp) might add damage
A special hits do more damage, criticals ignore damage
A spell like protection might add armour protection to all hitlocations
A successful parry will negate all or some of the damage.
etc.

IMO there's simply to many exceptions to the basic rule.

If you want to add a new feature I'd say a Effects tab on the character sheet is a better start.

/Peter

Currently if you attack an enemy, it instantly takes off the damage from the hitpoint total and ignores armor from a base location. that isn't a variable, it's a standard part of the ruleset if you have armor enabled. it comes off against armor location first, then limb hit point before taking off maximum hitpoints as you can only take a maximum of double the damage to any one limb before it's chopped off. doesn't do any further damage after that other than bleeding. the total damage incurred would be that taken off the hit point total.

If it's too complex to hit the location first, i'd recommend turning off the damage apply when armor locations are enabled so that the players or GM can apply the damage themselves

For example, I hit with my broadsword on a standard success and roll a 4 so it hits the leg. I roll a 6 on my 1D8+1. The foe has soft leather and 1 point skin, so two points of armor which brings it down to 4 hits. they have 4 hits in the leg and so it brings the leg down to zero. Four hitpoints come off the hit point total and four off the limb.

All of the other bits you mentioned are effects from spells. Bladesharp is a simple effect on the character to grant -5% on the attack roll and an extra point of damage per point of pow spent. special hits are already accounted for, critical hits ignore armor.

The original ruleset didn't do this, but it was a suggestion. Though this is more direct to runequest than the standard BRP ruleset.

superteddy57
June 13th, 2020, 04:01
Thank you both for the feedback, but we are currently not looking to expand the ruleset or add additional features at this time. The goal of this project was to bring the original code up to the 3.0 standard and allow it to gain the benefit of CoreRPG improvements moving forward. This will allow you to use the new Unity features that were not available before. We will continue to monitor and repair any bugs you may find, but focus on the original functionality.

Azaran
June 13th, 2020, 08:29
Thanks Superteddy57, it's definitely something i've been asking for since Classic v3 came out.

Found a bug with the hit point calculations. I can't adjust PC hit point damage without it constantly trying to recalculate. you see the number going up and down.

superteddy57
June 13th, 2020, 21:19
Thanks for the report, can you show me a picture of what you are referring to?

Is it the hit point damage on the combat tracker?

Laila
June 14th, 2020, 11:43
Hey @superteddy57 :)
I've got some feedback from my live session as well (Unity).
Overall it worked pretty smoothly, although I didn't have an actual combat, so I can't say too much about the combat tracker right now. I've tested it once with a "demo project" just to see how it works, so I'll include that:

1. In the PC Main Tab:
When dragging the name of a weapon, the dice appear, but when dropping on the chat window, nothing happens. I think this should roll the skill roll (ATK%).

2. In the Notes:
When creating a new note, the Owner of the note is not displayed, even though the restrictions work fine (that a note of someone else cannot be edited).

I also had some error that the Attack roll didn't display the name and when double clicking a skill roll instead of dragging that the result wasn't calculated (if it was a succes, failure, etc).
But those seem to work now...

I haven't tested it yet, but one thing to check if the DMG is subtracted from the HP automatically would be if a negative DB works correctly.
E.g. I have a char with a dagger that makes 1D4 damage, but the char also has a DB of -1D4 (low STR). So it can happen that the result for the Damage is negative.
In that case it would be important that the target doesn't get any HP added :P
Not sure how it is implemented right now, just a thougt.

There also was a connection problem, but that's obviously not a BRP problem ;)

Thanks a lot for your work!

superteddy57
June 15th, 2020, 02:05
1) So it's not rolling the Attack roll when you drag it to the chat?

2) The Notes record should operate as CoreRPG's version as it's using that code. I will double check on this for you to see if this is normal functionality.

Negative damage would not be good! Should it just revert to 0 damage if it rolls out to a negative number?

Laila
June 15th, 2020, 13:06
1) Yes, but only with the weapon's name. If you drag the ATK% itselft it works. It's just weird that you can drag the name but nothing happens afterwards.
2) Okay, thanks :)
3) I think it would be interesting to show the correct dice result in the chat window, but for actually subtracting the damage it should be treated as 0. If that's too complicated, then yes, just set it to 0.

superteddy57
June 15th, 2020, 14:50
Ok, I think I figured out why the drag wasn't working. I will provide an update to that functionality. I checked the notes and they do update the Owner as long as the player is the one that creates the note. When the GM makes them, I'm not seeing an owner assigned. Dragging the link to the player does open the note on their end and make it available in their records.

As for the skill rolls, I'm not understanding your report. Can you elaborate on it for me?

Blackfoot
June 15th, 2020, 14:53
For Notes in CoreRPG .. I'm pretty sure the Owner never sees their own ID.

Laila
June 15th, 2020, 15:37
My players didn't see any Owner either when creating it, but I guess it's not that important. And if it's just the CoreRPG feature, then the bug might get fixed along the way. Might as well just be in Unity.

As for the skill, I think there is nothing more you have to do.
When we were playing, we noticed that when double clicking the skill roll, it would be rolled and showing the rolled value, but the text didn't say if it was a success or failure or whatever.
When dragging the skill roll to the chat window it does show that as well.
But when checking it yesterday once more, it seemed to work just fine. Both (double click and drag&drop) showed the same .

superteddy57
June 15th, 2020, 15:45
Updated first post with new update available that should address the issues mentioned. Please report any new findings or issues still lingering.

Laila
June 15th, 2020, 16:43
@superteddy57 Thanks for the update :)
Where are the difficulty modifiers supposed to be? I can't see them, even when creating a new project...

superteddy57
June 15th, 2020, 17:06
I placed them in the same location as the original.

Laila
June 15th, 2020, 20:40
Okay, my bad, I had an unzipped version of BRP hence no updated version was used ^^'
Now I can see the modifiers, but I cannot click them, or rather it doesn't change anything when I do, no modifier selected.
I've also checked in FG Classic, there it's the same.

superteddy57
June 15th, 2020, 20:53
If you click on them and then do a roll it will use the selected difficulty level. So clicking on the x2 and then rolling will multiply the skill level and be the new benchmark. I have it included in every roll to check difficulty. Normal is set as default.

Laila
June 16th, 2020, 12:25
Ah, okay, I get it ^^'
It just doesn't display as "selected" (white font), but when rolling, it shows the rolled value and in the text it adds the modified roll value and correct result :)

It works for characteristic and weapon rolls, but not for skill rolls.

Also noticed, that the "normal" seems to act strangely. I rolled for Grapple, which has a 25% chance, and rolled once a 10 and once a 19.
Both are below the chance, so they should be Successes, but were calculated as Failure.

superteddy57
June 16th, 2020, 17:55
Ok, thank you for the report I will check the rollers to see if I missed a comma

superteddy57
June 23rd, 2020, 22:05
Updated first post with information and date for move to Live

Azaran
June 26th, 2020, 12:22
Updated first post with information and date for move to Live
Amazing work!!

esmdev
July 20th, 2020, 03:13
Hi. When you add a new skill using the create item on the skill tab it will add the skill but puts a line through the skill.

superteddy57
July 20th, 2020, 12:58
Thank you for the report. It appears the line is a bit off the bottom. We will see how to get it a bit further down.

garymichaelduke
May 6th, 2023, 00:40
Hi,
Where do i find the .mod files for 4e. i am starting a campaign. i loaded the ruleset. went to acivate the basic mods. no mods available. where do i find them?

peterb
May 6th, 2023, 07:42
I would suggest that you post your question in the correct forum: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?58-4E.