PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Source Books??

TXCBoy36
May 6th, 2020, 06:40
Quick question, when I purchase one of these source books is it provided as a .pdf? What is the format of the purchased sourcebook. Other platforms just provide access to the material but it is not downloadable to the PC.

Just looking for some info before making any purchases.

Thanks!

damned
May 6th, 2020, 06:52
It is not a PDF
The data is downloaded to your computer but is only accessible via the Fantasy Grounds application.
The data is all in a format designed for use by the Fantasy Grounds ruleset.
There is a Reference Manual that is PDF-like for the PHB and DMG style products but not the MM.
All other things - monsters, equipment, spells, classes, races etc etc are also in the product as those items, usually in a drag ad drop format with some (or lots of) smarts.

TXCBoy36
May 6th, 2020, 06:58
Thanks, do I need to subscribe to the paid membership to access any purchased material?

Also, I am wanting to run some games on FG but not sure what to enroll into. Still trying to learn all of the basics to FG. I did get signed up and registered at FG College so I will try and learn what I can from there and I am sure there are some informative videos on YouTube also.

Thanks!

damned
May 6th, 2020, 07:01
There is a lot of info on Youtube. It is of varying quality and age. But there is plenty of it.
You do need a license to access Vault content.

Start small - dont buy everything and dont try to use all the features.
Learn character creation, combat basics and how to interact with maps and stories.
Worry about everything else later.

TXCBoy36
May 6th, 2020, 07:07
Excellent, thanks for the information. I have been playing since the late 70's but all of these new technology platforms can get overwhelming. Can you recommend which license to purchase which will provide this access along with running some D&D games.

The final goal is to learn the system so I can get back to running some games. I am currently playing a game on roll20 but have heard alot of good things about this FG platform so we will see how it goes with my current learning curve.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks!

damned
May 6th, 2020, 07:23
If you are planning on being DM/GM then eventually an Ultimate license is typically the best option.

You have a choice of outright or sub and you can always start with Standard and upgrade to Ultimate when/if required.

If you are playing 5E the Players Handbook really is a good buy and gives you lots of options.

Then what you do next is up to you. If you are going to run some games start with something like the Lost Mine of Phandelver as an easier start for you. Its a good adventure and it will teach you a fair chunk of how to use FG. LMoP is also included for free for another 2 weeks I think and then it will mysteriously vanish from your collection unless you have bought it.

Add other things when your game or your wallet is telling you to.

Right now Id still lean towards FG Classic but FG Unity is getting better almost daily.

You also get a 30 day refund option if buying from the store and something doesnt meet your needs/expectations.

TXCBoy36
May 6th, 2020, 07:42
Okay, thanks for the help!!

Surge
May 6th, 2020, 11:06
For any Paizo published FG product for Pathfinder / Starfinder, you can link your FG account to your Paizo account and get the pdf of the product added to your Paizo account for free.