PDA

View Full Version : Making My Own Content Pack

Shrapp
May 5th, 2020, 19:16
I have a list of over 300 homebrew magic items (that's about where it was whenI last counted). I have big plans which I hope to use Fantasy Grounds to fulfill. Multiple campaigns in a custom world, several groups exploring very different regions... and I want to have easy access to the items on my list in all of them.

I guess this is a two-part question:

If I add an item to a campaign, is it specific to that campaign or will it carry over into other campaigns?
Either way, is there an easy way to make basically my own module which I can load into any campaign to have access to the magic items?

Thank you in advance!

Trenloe
May 5th, 2020, 19:54
The data you enter in a campaign is specific to that campaign.

But, you can export data from a campaign into a module that you can open in other campaigns. Information here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950555/Using+the+Library+and+Activating+Modules#Module-Export

LordEntrails
May 5th, 2020, 19:58
See the Module Creation link in my signature. I recommend you build several development campaigns, so that you can have multiple modules of "stuff". You will want to make sure that you have separate campaigns for at least DM info (magic items) from player info (races and classes). You may also want one for NPCs, one for each region of your world or city/town, etc. It makes things much more manageable.

Shrapp
June 7th, 2020, 20:51
Cool! Thank you for the advice.

I've been moving my list of magic items over to fantasy grounds for the past month. While I don't have any custom classes or races, it did occur to me that I am interested in allowing features from a lot of different source books, but not everything. For example, would like to allow changelings from Eberron, but not Kalashtar. Is there a way that I can add a compilation of what I do want into one of my modules so that I don't need to load every book that has a scrap of material and without also flooding players with other aspects I have to tell them to ignore?

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2020, 21:00
Yes, in your player facing development campaign, copy all the races and classes etc that you want to allow. Make sure you get all the linked content too. Then export into a player module. Then in your play campaign, have the players load your module and block the others.

Test this, because if you are like me, you will miss somethings.

Shrapp
June 7th, 2020, 21:12
I tried copying some races, but there wasn't an option like there was for items. I couldn't even select the text to copy and paste into my own *version* of a race, and the padlock says that the original races and such are view only. Am I missing a feature or unique window?

You mentioned the "player facing development campaign", that's just the module I will allow the players to see, right?

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2020, 21:18
If you do not have a license you will not be able to do any/most of this yet since you will be running in demo mode.

A player facing development campaign is a campaign you create that your players will never join. You create this campaign and create all your customer content in it that you want your players to be able to load. Like a customer Players Handbook. You may also want one or more DM development campaigns that contains things like maps, story/location details, treasures, NPC, magic items, etc that you will use and then share individually to players as needed.

Shrapp
June 7th, 2020, 21:25
I payed the $150ish for the ultimate licence through steam, that allows me to do everything, right?

Shrapp
June 7th, 2020, 22:46

Shrapp
June 7th, 2020, 22:58
How do I copy a race, say the gnomes, so that I can plug it into a player facing development campaign?

Or is the only way to "copy" a race to create a "new" gnome race and manually enter in all the same information?

LordEntrails
June 8th, 2020, 02:32
Create a campaign called something like "Devl Player Module"
Load the PHB
Open the Race List
Drag the Gnome race down 1/4 inch or so. Now you have a copy.
Create a group in the races such as "Shrapp's Player Module" (See image)
Drag the duplicate gnome race to the "Shrapp's Player Module" in the group list
Open your new gnome race
Unlock it
Edit it (especially the "other" tab)
Lock it
Duplicate this for all your customer races, classes, etc
In chat type "/export" and select all, give it a name and export it.

Shrapp
June 8th, 2020, 05:07
Sweet! I will give this a shot. Thank you again!

Bonkon
June 8th, 2020, 21:13
Create a campaign called something like "Devl Player Module"
Load the PHB
Open the Race List
Drag the Gnome race down 1/4 inch or so. Now you have a copy.
Create a group in the races such as "Shrapp's Player Module" (See image)
Drag the duplicate gnome race to the "Shrapp's Player Module" in the group list
Open your new gnome race
Unlock it
Edit it (especially the "other" tab)
Lock it
Duplicate this for all your customer races, classes, etc
In chat type "/export" and select all, give it a name and export it.

Good Day LordEntrails :)
Just out of curiosity, do you need to unload all your open modules before you export so it does not try to add the items from the PHB, DMG, or whatever? Thanks :)

Kelrugem
June 8th, 2020, 23:40
Good Day LordEntrails :)
Just out of curiosity, do you need to unload all your open modules before you export so it does not try to add the items from the PHB, DMG, or whatever? Thanks :)

Nope, you do not need to unload them :) Things from other modules can not be exported (when you want to do so, you need to make a copy of them) :)

LordEntrails
June 9th, 2020, 00:24
Nope, you do not need to unload them :) Things from other modules can not be exported (when you want to do so, you need to make a copy of them) :)
What he said :)

Bonkon
June 9th, 2020, 00:58

Good Day Kelrugem and LordEntrails :)
Thanks, I did not realize that! So all this time I have been working on my module and being extra careful to close all other modules before export was not required!! Live and learn. :)

Hyperventilator
June 10th, 2020, 11:43
The data you enter in a campaign is specific to that campaign.

But, you can export data from a campaign into a module that you can open in other campaigns. Information here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950555/Using+the+Library+and+Activating+Modules#Module-Export

Newbie question: Wouldn't this export all the data from currently open modules in addition to the items I have made myself?

Edit: Saw that there was a second page in this thread that explained it.

Edit 2: Why is it important to make a separate campaign for creating custom content, then?

LordEntrails
June 10th, 2020, 16:58
Newbie question: Wouldn't this export all the data from currently open modules in addition to the items I have made myself?

Edit: Saw that there was a second page in this thread that explained it.

Nope. Export only takes 'campaign' data and puts it in a module. It does not take other module data (otherwise it would be too easy for someone to export protected content and redistribute it illegally.)

Edit 2: Why is it important to make a separate campaign for creating custom content, then?
It allows you to;
- separate your info in chunks like chapters or seasons. Which allows you to load and unload data as you need it. For instance, you might detail a city and all the NPCs etc in one devl campaign. You put that into a GM module and when the party enters the city you load it, when they leave you unload it. It keeps your object lists to manageable sizes and then unshares images the players no longer needs (therefore keeping their load times reasonable)
- separate your content in player and GM modules, that way you can share an entire module of player facing options (and setting backstory)
- So that you can re-use your content in other campaigns, by separating setting type content from run-time content (notes, scenarios, etc)
- So you can play test your content before you load it into your play campaign and alter your actual campaign data.