PDA

View Full Version : Question on Effects

sadwargamer
May 5th, 2020, 12:21
Characters I am DMIng are starting to acquire magical items so I have been looking onto the magical effects and have come across a few issues that do not appear to be working as expected?

For example; the Ring of Fire Resistance (ROFR), it has the effects [RESIST:fire;DDR: 2 fire] but when I use say a Red Dragons breath at the character wearing a ROFR firstly the +4 saving throw bonus vs fire is not applied (its not in teh effects so no surprise there), secondly no damage is sustained regardless if character makes save or not?

So my questions are:

1. Can you add a specific Save modifier vs [damage type] to effects? (I dont think so as I added SAVE:2 fire and the +2 on save was added to all saves regardless of damage type - ie the fire descriptor is ignored.)
2. The RESIST[damage type] seems to block all damage of the type specified - What am I missing here as this does not work (tried against red drgaion breath and fireball) and is reacting same as IMMUNE?
3. The Dexterity Bonus was not applied to the saving throw of the character vs Breath weapon, as this is area effect much like FB, LB then the DEX bonus should be applied? (I tried casting a FB at character and again no dex or armour bonus applied.)
4. Lkewise the characters Magical armour bonus was not applied to vs red dragons breath weapon - it should be?
5. DDR:2 fire does not work, either full or half damage always applied absed on save result (thats after I remove RESIST from effects so damage can be caused)

I am assuming the characters Magical armour bonus vs physical attacks etc cannot be applied to saves automatically as there is no way to apply a SAVE modifier to a specific DAMAGE TYPE. So Leather Armour +1, can have the AC effected, but when it comes to saves the bonus has to be manually appplied. Which means that during combat when the system auto rolls teh charatcers saves we need to do a manual roll.

I am obviously missing something with these effects so all help appreciated.
Thanks.

celestian
May 5th, 2020, 16:47
Characters I am DMIng are starting to acquire magical items so I have been looking onto the magical effects and have come across a few issues that do not appear to be working as expected?

For example; the Ring of Fire Resistance (ROFR), it has the effects [RESIST:fire;DDR: 2 fire] but when I use say a Red Dragons breath at the character wearing a ROFR firstly the +4 saving throw bonus vs fire is not applied (its not in teh effects so no surprise there), secondly no damage is sustained regardless if character makes save or not?

So my questions are:

1. Can you add a specific Save modifier vs [damage type] to effects? (I dont think so as I added SAVE:2 fire and the +2 on save was added to all saves regardless of damage type - ie the fire descriptor is ignored.)
2. The RESIST[damage type] seems to block all damage of the type specified - What am I missing here as this does not work (tried against red drgaion breath and fireball) and is reacting same as IMMUNE?
3. The Dexterity Bonus was not applied to the saving throw of the character vs Breath weapon, as this is area effect much like FB, LB then the DEX bonus should be applied? (I tried casting a FB at character and again no dex or armour bonus applied.)
4. Lkewise the characters Magical armour bonus was not applied to vs red dragons breath weapon - it should be?
5. DDR:2 fire does not work, either full or half damage always applied absed on save result (thats after I remove RESIST from effects so damage can be caused)

I am assuming the characters Magical armour bonus vs physical attacks etc cannot be applied to saves automatically as there is no way to apply a SAVE modifier to a specific DAMAGE TYPE. So Leather Armour +1, can have the AC effected, but when it comes to saves the bonus has to be manually appplied. Which means that during combat when the system auto rolls teh charatcers saves we need to do a manual roll.

I am obviously missing something with these effects so all help appreciated.
Thanks.

1) The resist fire effect will only manage half of the rings features in an automated fashion. Damage will be cut in 1/2 when they take fire damage. The +4 to save v fire will need to be manually applied.

2) RESIST reduces damage by 1/2, not 100%.

3) Dex bonuses are not automated for saves as they depend on various types of spells, not all spells get dex bonuses.

4) "Bonuses" on armor is not always magical in the case of FG so there is no way to know if the +2 or -1 to ac from a item is for magical or otherwise. If you want them to get +3 from +3 plate then adding "SAVE:3" to the armor will do that.

5) Testing locally there does seem to be some odd interaction between DDR and RESIST. Individually they work ok. I'll check into that.

sadwargamer
May 5th, 2020, 18:01
Celestian, again many thanks for quick response.

1. Understand re manual add +4 bonus save. Not seeing any reduction to 1/2 damage.
2. This is not happening on FGU
3. Yep understood, very complex. (perhaps as an idea that Spells should have an entry on what bonuses they can pass into the saving throw roll, or the ability to turn of auto saves for spell such as FB, LB, ie where bonuses need to be manually added as in many such cases saves will need to be re rolled for DEX and magical armour...
4. Cannot add Save:n as for example magical armour will not grant the bonus to a gas based attack - and SAVE:n is global across all saves, so manual adjustment it is - just like round a normal tf2f abletop game.
5. Just rerun a fireball on character with and without ROFR and damage applied correctly based on saving throw. When I add the ROFR - save performed as normal but no damage assigned to character regardless of saving throw so yes something going on with RESIST/DDR on FGU.

celestian
May 5th, 2020, 18:27
4. Cannot add Save:n as for example magical armour will not grant the bonus to a gas based attack - and SAVE:n is global across all saves, so manual adjustment it is - just like round a normal tf2f abletop game.

That's an additional reason why I do not auto-apply the save bonus from "magic" armor. Currently there is no way to know if the save is for gas, fire, acid or brick falling on head/etc. We can automate on TYPE of save such as Poison, Death, Petri/Para/etc but the specifics of those types of saves we don't know at time of save.

5. Just rerun a fireball on character with and without ROFR and damage applied correctly based on saving throw. When I add the ROFR - save performed as normal but no damage assigned to character regardless of saving throw so yes something going on with RESIST/DDR on FGU.

Indeed, you are correct. After my day job I'll throw in some debug code and see what's going on. I suspect it's the other in which the resists are processed but, not entirely sure.

sadwargamer
May 5th, 2020, 18:29
Thanks - Sorry to add to your workload.

celestian
May 5th, 2020, 18:35
Thanks - Sorry to add to your workload.

No need to apologize. Bugs are bugs and I hatem as much as you do ;) Please, always feel free to report them. I hate bugs and want them gone ;)

celestian
May 6th, 2020, 00:31
Indeed, you are correct. After my day job I'll throw in some debug code and see what's going on. I suspect it's the other in which the resists are processed but, not entirely sure.

Indeed, changing the order where it processes the dice (DDR) before the RESIST looks to have corrected the problem. I've got a couple other things I need to tweak and after it's working I'll see if I can get it pushed to FGU for further testing (next day or so).

sadwargamer
May 6th, 2020, 01:16
Thanks Celestian