PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Bolt

Inquiz
May 5th, 2020, 07:23
I am going to apologize if there is a more current answer and I am just not finding it. Or if this is in the wrong section for posting this question.

Anyone determine the best way to handle the damage type of Chaos bolt. Currently every time my player uses it, I have him roll the damage on hit and tell me which type it is and I have to adjust the damage as needed. was looking to see if anyone found an easier way to handle this spells damage type before the damage hits.

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2020, 08:22
There's no way to automate this.

One possible method is to have damage effects set up for each damage type. This would just be damage lines with acid, cold, fire etc each on a separate line - no dice or numbers. Then when the player rolls for damage they do so into chat with no target selected. They can then drag the damage to the modifier box and then drag the relevant damage from the actions tab onto the target.

Inquiz
May 5th, 2020, 20:14
This is great, do you happen to have any screenshots of how this would work?

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2020, 20:42
Set up the character sheet with all the damage attacks as in the first screenshot with just the damage type and no dice. Set up a dice string (optional) and add it to the quickbar. Roll that dice from the quickbar and then drag it into the modifier box. Then drag whatever damage type is indicated from the actions tab onto the target

Inquiz
May 5th, 2020, 21:27
Zacchaeus, you are the best, thank you so much

Roach
July 3rd, 2021, 16:16
I just tried it, unfortunately it'll give me damage lines like
[DAMAGE #2] Chaos Bolt [[DAMAGE] Chaos Bolt +12] [TYPE: acid (=0)] [TYPE: untyped (12=12)]

Which wreaks havoc with resistances and vulnerabilities. The modifier remains an untyped damage.

Bonkon
July 3rd, 2021, 17:09
Good Day Inquiz :)
Another thing I did for my player was to make 2 tables. Both had the damage types on them, the first directs to the second. Then I shared it with the player so they just have to press a button to get the two rolls for type, then they select which one it is. If the match they get to roll again for another target. :)

Zacchaeus
July 3rd, 2021, 19:05
I just tried it, unfortunately it'll give me damage lines like
Which wreaks havoc with resistances and vulnerabilities. The modifier remains an untyped damage.

This is still working for me. Make sure that some extension isn't getting in the way.

Roach
July 4th, 2021, 08:55
Maybe it's your DnD skin? ;) This is what I get with no extension loaded at all... 48058

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2021, 09:33
You don't set the main damage as a damage effect. What you do is create a quickslot. Type /die 2d8+1d6 into chat and before pressing return drag into one of your quickslots. Then roll that dice from there. Add that result to the modifier box and then roll the damage type effect from the actions tab. See the images in post #4 above.

If you do it the way you have it then the damage will be untyped.

Roach
July 4th, 2021, 10:04
Ahh... I had dragged the damage into a quickslot, not realizing this would keep the dice as damage of type:untyped. I had thought dragging the result to the modifier box would strip the numerical value of all accompanying tags, like for a Mote of Creation where the same bardic inspiration die can apply to an ATK and the accompanying DMG roll.
You never stop learning...