PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Aura Effects

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kentmccullough
May 4th, 2020, 20:47
This extension is now being updated and handled by Bmos please see FORGE (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/32/view) for the latest version.

Other Bmos Creations can be found Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60308-bmos-extensions&highlight=aura)

Original Extension information is outdated and will not be updated here. Some effects assume ownership of additional extensions.
This extension is built to accommodate auras of any kind. Paladin auras, or even spell auras (such as spirit guardians). This is a relatively complex extension and will require some explanation and examples.

I've added a few things in, mainly is the "AURA" effect, the other is an additional conditional helper "FACTION()"

A few examples for how you would use this.

AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 5
This will add a 10 foot aura around the person who has this effect, everyone within 10' will receive an effect "FROMAURA:Aura of Protection; SAVE: 5"

Everything after the "AURA: #distanceInFeet auraType;" will be added to other tokens when applicable inside the distance prepended by "FROMAURA:"

What this means is the paladin themselves will not gain a FROMAURA: effect, however the SAVE: 5 will still work for them as well.

This is why I've added in the additional conditional type "FACTION()"

For things like Spirit Guardians I've used it like this:

AURA: 15 foe; Spirit Guardians; IF: FACTION(foe); SAVEO: wisdom DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 necrotic; (C)

The IF: FACTION(foe) insures that the SAVEO and SAVEDMG do not affect the cleric who has cast the spell, while still allowing it to fire on the creatures that gain the effect as "FROMAURA:Spirit Guardians; IF: FACTION(foe); SAVEO: wisdom DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 necrotic; (C);" For this to work you'd also have to be using my ongoing saves extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56702-5E-Ongoing-Save-Effects).

The following aura types are allowed:

friend
foe
all

The following faction types are allowed:

friend
foe
neutral
faction

One thing to note regarding faction types is you can also use the "!" operator before any of them to include all except for that type. "!friend" would be anything that's not in the same faction as yourself. The foe faction would also do the same thing, as it assumes neutral/faction type enemies are not your friends as well. I can be convinced to adjust this to only include the foe/enemy faction type (the red underlay on map) if that is preferred.

This extension is still not fully tested, so do let me know if there are issues that anyone comes across.

I've also added an option menu to silence the notifications about the effects which can be filtered based on aura type (we found that the paladin's aura was very spammy during play).

NOTE: Presently if you're using token locking you must be on the 'test' build of FGC in order for this to work properly. If you're not using token locking then the current 'live' build is also fine. As of May 5, 2020 - FG v3.3.10 - Should be able to be back on 'live' for FG v3.3.11 Again this is only if you're using token locking.
Version 0.4:
- Base implementation of AURA effect type along with FACTION() conditional type.

Zacchaeus
May 4th, 2020, 20:52
Nice one.
Have you added this one to your list? I just stickied your list rather than listing all your extensions a) out of laziness :) and b) I'm always running out of room in the sticky thread.

kentmccullough
May 4th, 2020, 20:53
Yup, I've also added it to my list. I figured one list would probably be easier for you to manage anyway. Thanks for adding it to the sticky!

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2020, 23:36
Nice one.
Have you added this one to your list? I just stickied your list rather than listing all your extensions a) out of laziness :) and b) I'm always running out of room in the sticky thread.
oh, I updated the 5E extensions sticky... shoot me if you'd like :)

ScriedRaven
May 4th, 2020, 23:36
I'm having issues getting this extension to work, I copied the effects from your example (I've tried both with the ongoing saves ext), and gave the npcs the faction markers, but I can't get it to give them the "fromaura" effect.

Three of Swords
May 4th, 2020, 23:38
This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it out, but will be a few days before I can.

Beemanpat
May 5th, 2020, 04:18
Hot dang. Another one. This is awesome. Gonna try it tomorrow. Thank you.

kentmccullough
May 5th, 2020, 15:06
I'm having issues getting this extension to work, I copied the effects from your example (I've tried both with the ongoing saves ext), and gave the npcs the faction markers, but I can't get it to give them the "fromaura" effect.
You’ll have to move them on a map within the correct distance.

Screenshots including the tokens on a map and the combat tracker showing the effects would be most helpful.

ScriedRaven
May 5th, 2020, 17:57
You’ll have to move them on a map within the correct distance.

Screenshots including the tokens on a map and the combat tracker showing the effects would be most helpful.

I tried that, but it didn't change anything. For testing I made a new campaign with aura effects as the only extension loaded (I used Lost Mines of Phandelver for simple pregens and maps). I added FACTION(friend) to the allies, and then added the sample aura you provided to the "paladin" while outside of the radius. I then moved the paladin into radius, and rolled some saves. It looks like it didn't parse in any of the initial information, and just gave the "paladin" SAVE: 5;

Beemanpat
May 5th, 2020, 18:09
I couldn't get this to work for me either. I will test some more later tonight, and take screenshots if able too tonight. Thank you

kentmccullough
May 5th, 2020, 18:09
So a couple of things. Firstly you don't need to add FACTION(friend) to the allies, the FACTION() check is used for conditionals, like IF or IFT and will check their faction in the CT (friend/foe check regarding whatever faction the creature is in). Secondly your effect is just slightly off, it needs to be "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 5" the ":" after "AURA" is important.

I've fixed the original post as I appear to have forgotten to put the : in there. Sorry about that everyone! You should be able to copy it now.

Beemanpat
May 5th, 2020, 18:21
Oh I see now. I'll get on and give it another try.

Edit: That : fixed it. I'm also using dm tools to token stack/lock a aura token as a visual coupled with this truly is an awesome thing. Thank you again.

ScriedRaven
May 5th, 2020, 19:13
Ok, that works. I just wanted to make sure I could get it to work before trying my own codes. I also only added the FACTION note when it wasn't working, just to make sure that wasn't the problem

kentmccullough
May 5th, 2020, 19:16
Ok, that works. I just wanted to make sure I could get it to work before trying my own codes. I also only added the FACTION note when it wasn't working, just to make sure that wasn't the problem

Fair enough, let me know if there's any issues you find, or have any suggestions. I'd love to see how people use it / what features/abilities/spells people are using this for. Outside of a few spells and Paladin's auras I'm not sure there's a lot of applications, but there's definite possibilities for adding hidden tokens that have an aura for something that's like poison gas and the like as well...

celestian
May 5th, 2020, 20:13
Nice work Kent!

I am working on something similar (effect auras) tho a little different. Good stuff. Figuring out distance can be messy.

One of the other things I've worked on related to distance is to test if a token is "touching" (overlapping another token). Not entirely sure what im going to use it for but the prototype works. I was originally thinking of having a aura token "stuck" to another token and that aura token determines if something happens to those around them...or maybe use them for traps (pc moves into the tokens space).

I keep hoping FGU layers will make some of this easier.

Bonkon
May 5th, 2020, 22:21
I tried that, but it didn't change anything. For testing I made a new campaign with aura effects as the only extension loaded (I used Lost Mines of Phandelver for simple pregens and maps). I added FACTION(friend) to the allies, and then added the sample aura you provided to the "paladin" while outside of the radius. I then moved the paladin into radius, and rolled some saves. It looks like it didn't parse in any of the initial information, and just gave the "paladin" SAVE: 5;

Good Day ScriedRaven :)
It looks like you are missing the : between AURA and 10 friend, I have not tried this yet, but could that be it? :)

Ooops, looks like I missed all the rest of the post showing how to fix it...

kentmccullough
May 6th, 2020, 09:10
Nice work Kent!

I am working on something similar (effect auras) tho a little different. Good stuff. Figuring out distance can be messy.

One of the other things I've worked on related to distance is to test if a token is "touching" (overlapping another token). Not entirely sure what im going to use it for but the prototype works. I was originally thinking of having a aura token "stuck" to another token and that aura token determines if something happens to those around them...or maybe use them for traps (pc moves into the tokens space).

I keep hoping FGU layers will make some of this easier.

I assume you've seen DiabloBob's GMTools extension which does some token stacking and such? That looks pretty interesting, as far as testing if a token is overlapping you can look at distance calcs in this or in my sneak attack extension, you'd just have to adjust it a little bit. Of course everything assumes a grid is on the map.... if it's not all bets are off.

celestian
May 6th, 2020, 15:05
I assume you've seen DiabloBob's GMTools extension which does some token stacking and such? That looks pretty interesting, as far as testing if a token is overlapping you can look at distance calcs in this or in my sneak attack extension, you'd just have to adjust it a little bit. Of course everything assumes a grid is on the map.... if it's not all bets are off.

I've looked at Bob's work and did some exploratory builds but... in FGC right now the token pile management... is messy.

The overlapping/touching testing is calculated based on X/Y cords of each token. So if their X or Ys touch at any point it's flagged. I didn't test it w/o grid but I don't see why it wouldn't work since it's based on cords... but it was just a prototype and I've not performed serious testing. Tho, im wondering if using distance work, would need to figure out size and distance and if the size intersected due to distance.

kentmccullough
May 6th, 2020, 15:32
Yeah I use distance based calcs for my things, and you could easily check if the distance is <= 0 instead of <= 1 in the case of better sneak attack, or pack tactics. (Although I think I add a float onto it because math is weird...) so I think I actually check like <= 1.1 or some such nonsense.

Apocrypha
May 9th, 2020, 19:40
This extension is exactly what was needed. Good job.

Apocrypha
May 9th, 2020, 20:42
Having a problem getting this to work on a connected players view. On my DMs view this works great but on the player side when the Paladin with the aura effect moves into range of another player it does nothing. What am I missing?

kentmccullough
May 9th, 2020, 20:47
If tokens are locked you need to be on the test update, otherwise it won’t work properly.

Cyrian
May 9th, 2020, 23:45
This is amazing! Thank you very much!

Apocrypha
May 10th, 2020, 07:50
If tokens are locked you need to be on the test update, otherwise it won’t work properly.

Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand this statement. I know what the test update is however what do you mean by "if tokens are locked"? So if they are not "locked" I don't need the test update? And if so, how are they unlocked? Just a right click on the tokens?

kentmccullough
May 10th, 2020, 16:12
Yes to all of the above. If the GM has to approve movement of tokens it won’t work correctly with the current live build. If tokens are just dragged it should be fine. If that’s not your case let me know. Screenshots are helpful if things aren’t working.

Apocrypha
May 11th, 2020, 05:55
Yes to all of the above. If the GM has to approve movement of tokens it won’t work correctly with the current live build. If tokens are just dragged it should be fine. If that’s not your case let me know. Screenshots are helpful if things aren’t working.

I do not have to approve movement of player tokens. Players are able to move their own tokens with mouse or keyboard on their own. I do not see a way to "unlock" tokens in the GM side or player side. I can only set to Mask Sensitive Visibility or Set Always Invisible. What would you like a screenshot of? I don't think Unity has token locking.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2020, 09:14
I do not have to approve movement of player tokens. Players are able to move their own tokens with mouse or keyboard on their own. I do not see a way to "unlock" tokens in the GM side or player side. I can only set to Mask Sensitive Visibility or Set Always Invisible. What would you like a screenshot of? I don't think Unity has token locking.

This extension is built for Classic; there's no guarantee that it will work in Unity. So I think what your question is; is does this extension work in Unity?

kentmccullough
May 11th, 2020, 15:22
Ah gotcha, I didn't realize you were in Unity. I haven't tested it with Unity at all yet and it may be incompatible right now with it....

kjbrona
May 13th, 2020, 19:38
Seems to work fine in FGU for me.

Apocrypha
May 14th, 2020, 01:17
Ah gotcha, I didn't realize you were in Unity. I haven't tested it with Unity at all yet and it may be incompatible right now with it....
Weird thing is it works in the DM view. Just not on the players. Please make this work in Unity. Please. :)

Apocrypha
May 14th, 2020, 01:19
This extension is built for Classic; there's no guarantee that it will work in Unity. So I think what your question is; is does this extension work in Unity?
That makes my question when the heck is unity going to be released? ;)

mattekure
May 14th, 2020, 02:01
That makes my question when the heck is unity going to be released? ;)

Soon™

joeslucher
May 15th, 2020, 04:59
New to coding so this may be a terrible question. I started trying to use the AURA for other things so could you tell me if these are possible uses or just won't work. Should it be possible to use AURA to create an effect for a Kobold's Grovel Cower and Beg which causes attacks on enemies within 10ft to be made at advantage? So would that be AURA: 10 foe; Cower and Beg; IF: FACTION(foe); GRANTADVATK ? Just trying to see if there are other uses.

kentmccullough
May 15th, 2020, 05:22
That should work fine yeah.

Anything after the AURA:; clause should just be added with a preceding FROMAURA;

You can do pretty much any area of effect over time thing you can think of if regular effects will support it.

Stv
May 15th, 2020, 22:38
Hi Kent,
Really liking this extension, it saves alot of hassle remembering if you are in or out of an aura.
I have a request for an improvement/addition, although I am not sure how much of a headache it will be to implement.

In the campaign I'm currently playing, we have 2 paladins in the party (overkill or what :P). If they are both near an ally, then their auras stack. Is there a way to check for this and only act on the largest bonus?

Cheers, Steve.

kentmccullough
May 16th, 2020, 00:22
There should be as long as they’re named the same.... I’ll work on adding that in when I look at this extension in the next week or so.

Rernokk
May 16th, 2020, 10:29
Hi Kent! This extension has been really helpful in maintaining multiple helpful passive effects for things like raging wolf totem barbarians and Protection paladins, and I wanted to say thank you for continuing to support it! I was also wondering if there were any known issues with supporting the IF conditional before applying the aura? I was trying to integrate the "while not unconscious" bit of the Aura of Protection skill tonight, and found that the aura was applying regardless of the first condition I was setting:

For instance:

IF: unconscious;AURA: 10 friend;ADVATK;

The above effect seems to continually apply ADVATK to the player and any nearby allies, regardless of if they're unconscious or not. I'm new to developing these effects, so it's also entirely possible that my IF condition is not written properly.

Stv
May 16th, 2020, 11:08
Great stuff!!
Thanks again for another helpful extension :)

Cheers, Steve.

kentmccullough
May 16th, 2020, 14:29
@rernokk I don’t think I covered that case so the if conditional probably doesn’t work at all prior to the AURA tag. The auras should be respecting the effect’s state of on or off though, so you could potentially do some manual override there.

Rernokk
May 16th, 2020, 20:37
Ah, I get what you mean. The fact that the player has to be unconscious for the effect to fall off means it probably won't happen often, but it's good to know that disabling the effect should propagate to the other players properly. Thanks!

dmbrown
May 17th, 2020, 04:25
**Deleted**

Zandel
May 18th, 2020, 22:30
I think I may have figured out a way to make overlapping auras work for two pally's until you get a chance to build it in. Would this work?
I will call Pally one Dave, he has two auras the first "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 4" and the second "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; (CUSTOM): Dave".
I will call Pally two Bob, he has two auras the first "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3" and the second "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; IF: CUSTOM(Dave): Save -3"
I did not pay too much attention to syntax, just want to know if it would work conceptually. Can I use IF and IFT in conjunction with your aura code? If so, which would I use If, or IFT?

kentmccullough
May 18th, 2020, 22:39
I think I may have figured out a way to make overlapping auras work for two pally's until you get a chance to build it in. Would this work?
I will call Pally one Dave, he has two auras the first "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 4" and the second "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; (CUSTOM): Dave".
I will call Pally two Bob, he has two auras the first "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3" and the second "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; IF: CUSTOM(Dave): Save -3"
I did not pay too much attention to syntax, just want to know if it would work conceptually. Can I use IF and IFT in conjunction with your aura code? If so, which would I use If, or IFT?

Yes you can, and that should probably work, yeah. You'd want to use IF essentially exactly as you have above. although I don't think you need to have (CUSTOM), you should be able to just have "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 4; Dave" and then Bob's aura would be "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3; IF: CUSTOM(Dave); SAVE: -3"

You shouldn't need to add extra auras to each person and I'd advise against it. Too many auras will definitely start to affect performance.

Zandel
May 18th, 2020, 22:39
Thanks! Ill try it

Zandel
May 18th, 2020, 23:16
It works great!

Zandel
May 25th, 2020, 17:18
OK having some issues-

This Aura- AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 4; Sabastion works great
This Aura- AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3; IF: CUSTOM(Sabastion); SAVE: -3 Does not turn off when an ally is more then 10' away and then if they move back I get two and they stack.

Zandel
May 25th, 2020, 18:41
Did some testing, I broke the "If" part out to a separate Aura and it does not go away when the other token is moved away, so that part is the issue.

kentmccullough
May 25th, 2020, 20:50
Thanks, I’ll take a look at this.

jackkerouac
May 28th, 2020, 14:52
This is pretty great. It would be perfect if you added a token underlay to visually display the aura effect. :p

kentmccullough
May 28th, 2020, 15:02
I played with the visualizations part a bit and ultimately decided to just use DM Tools by DiabloBob since he handled it in a much nicer way than anything I was trying.

pablomaz
June 2nd, 2020, 19:03
I played with the visualizations part a bit and ultimately decided to just use DM Tools by DiabloBob since he handled it in a much nicer way than anything I was trying.

Hey, kentmccullough, since you mentioned DM Tools, is your extension also not compatible with Styrmir's 5e Combat Enhancer? I'm aware that many extensions aren't...
Thanks!

ScriedRaven
June 2nd, 2020, 19:14
The majority, if not all of Kents extensions, are compatible with Combat Enhancer Classic.

jackkerouac
June 2nd, 2020, 19:21
Hey, kentmccullough, since you mentioned DM Tools, is your extension also not compatible with Styrmir's 5e Combat Enhancer? I'm aware that many extensions aren't...
Thanks!

There really should be some sort of framework for everyone to use so that everyone knows everything is compatible.

arcanjl
June 3rd, 2020, 03:23
I noticed in unity tonight that the buff does not get removed when they move away. just fyi.

kentmccullough
June 3rd, 2020, 14:07
I noticed in unity tonight that the buff does not get removed when they move away. just fyi.

Thanks, I have to look into unity testing and compatibility a bit more still.

arcanjl
June 3rd, 2020, 14:30
Soooooooo. I hate to tell you this, cause all programmers, (especially me) hate it. BUT it was intermittent. I could not nail down when it did it, and when it didn't. Sorry. And after last night we are going back to classic the performance is too crap right now.

Zandel
June 4th, 2020, 14:38
I figured out how to resolve my 2 Paladin Aura issue for the time being.
I have two Paladins. Sebastion with a +4 Cha mod, and Kurn with a +3 Cha mod
Their auras look like this:
AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3; Kurn
AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 4; Sabastion

I then placed a non-aura affect on everyone that looks for both custom conditions to be true and subtracts 3 out, it looks like this:
IF: CUSTOM(Sabastion); IF: CUSTOM(Kurn); SAVE: -3
Tested it out, seems to work fine

arcanjl
June 4th, 2020, 15:54
that's Brilliant!

Rades
June 5th, 2020, 00:41
Very cool extension, I love it! I'm super excited to use this to create terrain "creatures" like a magic pillar or altar that grants damage resistance or immunity to fire, etc, when creatures are standing next to it. I think this opens up tons of map/terrain possibilities to really incorporate the surroundings into a fight. :D (Also, if you use the Enhanced Images extension that makes three image layers, it is quite nice to see that you can make one such "terrain NPC" and drop it on a lower layer so it can't be accidentally dragged around, and it still properly applies the aura effects to creatures on the top layer.)

You mentioned possibly splitting the grouping of foe/red and neutral/yellow creatures, and I would love if this was possible. Quite often I will have town guards, civilians or allied NPCs - creatures the PCs don't want to kill - be neutral on the combat tracker, as I don't want PCs to be able to see their hit points. So sometimes I would want to exclude neutrals (from say an ongoing flame damage aura) but on the other hand sometimes I would want to include them (for example a regeneration aura). I believe I could use FACTION(!foe) for the regen option, but if I am understanding right there's currently no way to do the foe/red-only flame aura that wouldn't affect neutrals?

kentmccullough
June 5th, 2020, 01:14
You can make the aura foe type and check faction for foe to include only red I believe. Including neutrals as well as friends is tougher, you’d have to have two auras one friends and one foe. The for one would have to check faction for neutral. I haven’t tested and it’s been a little bit since I looked at this code, but that should work.

Rades
June 5th, 2020, 02:51
Hmm, yes I see what you mean. After testing, "nearby allies gain ATK: 1" aura for my player's pirate captain PC, to properly buff other PCs and neutral/yellow pirate PCs would require two effects (posting in case anyone else could use it):

AURA: 15 friend; YARRR; ATK: 1
AURA: 15 foe; YARRR; IF: FACTION(neutral); ATK: 1

I don't mind the player having to click two effects (easy), the only drawback I could see is that if we play with aura applications/removals visible, it would also harmlessly apply the ATK: 1 effect to red/hostile creatures in the range, though they wouldn't actually gain the benefit, which might just be confusing to see in the chat/combat tracker. However since we haven't actually played with this extension yet, maybe we'll find the notifications spammy like you said with the Aura of Protection and just choose to hide them all anyway.

kentmccullough
June 5th, 2020, 14:58
I’ll work on adding in some additional handling for the aura types themselves. Limited time lately though, so I don’t know when I’ll be able to get to that.

Rades
June 6th, 2020, 13:04
Another observation, the DMGO seems to interact strangely with auras if using the Advanced Effects extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters), using the following aura as an example:

AURA: 10 foe; Anxiety Aura; IF: FACTION(!neutral); DMGO: 1d6 psychic

If I put that effect on an item and equip it, it does automatically add the effect to the PC as Advanced Effects is supposed to do. However, it deals the ongoing damage to both foes and the PC with the aura.

However, if I create effect as a power on the PC's sheet and apply it to the PC that way, it works fine and only deals ongoing damage to foes.

Certainly not a gamebreaker since I can always just make this a PC sheet power instead of an item-added one, but just thought I'd bring to your attention! Not sure if it's possible to coordinate with celestian (author of Advanced Effects) to figure out why this is happening or what.

Rades
June 6th, 2020, 13:24
Perhaps a more important observation: it appears that a modifier with a minus sign breaks the automatic removal when the aura holder moves out of range. (Replying separately because this is a different issue from the previous post.)

For example:

AURA: 5 all; Anxiety; ATK: -2

This aura gets applied properly when the aura holder moves into range, but isn't removed when the aura holder moves away. Without the minus (ie just ATK: 2) everything works properly.

kentmccullough
June 6th, 2020, 14:46
I’ve looked at the advanced effects extension a fair bit, and it’s because the source of the effect is the weapon, not the player is my guess. So faction checking falls down trying to compare a faction against an item. I’ll look at fixing that.

As far as the minus going that’s very odd, I’ll have to look into what may be causing that.

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2020, 05:06
I’ve looked at the advanced effects extension a fair bit, and it’s because the source of the effect is the weapon, not the player is my guess. So faction checking falls down trying to compare a faction against an item. I’ll look at fixing that.

As far as the minus going that’s very odd, I’ll have to look into what may be causing that.
There is a known issue with negative modifiers in FGU. Not sure if it's this or not. If I remember correctly, it was revealed with a -1d4 effect for Bane. Not sure though.

Rades
June 12th, 2020, 21:27
It seems like distances are being calculated a bit short when it comes to diagonal distances. For example, an Aura 10 is being applied to the proper targets when they are 2 squares away horizontally or vertically, but not diagonally.

To demonstrate, in these examples the target (blue) receives the Aura when the Aura-holder is in the green squares, but not the red ones. Obviously the outside "ring" of red squares are outside the aura's range, but the corner pieces should be within the range.

This seems to occur whether the diagonal distance option is set to Standard or Variant. Tested with no other extensions running.

https://i.imgur.com/e64425G.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/K8fYO1h.jpg

LordEntrails
June 12th, 2020, 22:15
What is the campaign option for distance set to? Default or Alternate? That controls how FG calculates distances, not sure if this extension accounts for that setting or not.

Rades
June 12th, 2020, 22:37
What is the campaign option for distance set to? Default or Alternate? That controls how FG calculates distances, not sure if this extension accounts for that setting or not.

Sorry, should have provided that detail. Diagonal distance was set to Standard, but after a quick test, this happens whether it's set to Standard or Variant. I'll add that to my initial post.

kentmccullough
June 13th, 2020, 23:47
Distance is currently calculated as raw distance a^2+b^2=c^2 I’ll add an option in future updates for the differing calculations.

Rades
June 14th, 2020, 05:25
Make sense, appreciate it! :D

Rades
June 22nd, 2020, 22:53
There is a known issue with negative modifiers in FGU. Not sure if it's this or not. If I remember correctly, it was revealed with a -1d4 effect for Bane. Not sure though.

LordEntrails I meant to ask you before but forgot until now -- has there been any resolution in FGU about this? (I'm hoping to give a PC a minor defensive benefit where any enemies that step into his aura have their attacks hindered, so a -1 or -2 would be great. But if negative modifiers don't work, I feel full DISADV is too strong...)

Korav
July 1st, 2020, 16:11
I saw that some noted this works in FGU, however I have to say I'm having some trouble with this and I'd really like to use it in conjunction with the Ongoing Effects extension that I just purchased. I disabled everything but Aura Effects and Ongoing Save Effects, everything is at the latest version as of today.

The behavior is very strange. If open a new map, place down the PC that has the AURA defined, place PCs that should receive the AURA, move all the tokens in and out of range, it doesn't work. If I leave all the tokens on the map, restart FGU... it works for all existing tokens. If I add another friendly PC... doesn't work for just the newly added PC.

I assume this is just an FGU compatibility issue? Anyone seen this behavior before have any ideas?

kentmccullough
July 1st, 2020, 17:05
I have not noticed that, I'll try and take a look and track down what's going on with that. Thanks for the info.

You may try closing/unsharing the map and then re-opening and re-sharing instead of completely restarting FGU? No clue if that'll work, but it might save you some time.

Apocrypha
July 6th, 2020, 06:39
I found this didn't work in FGU. My experience was that it seemed to work fine on the server (DM) side but on the client (player) side, it did not work at all.

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2020, 17:17
@kentmccullough,
I am starting to ask all community developers to consider making an explicit licensing statement on their work. It helps future community developers honor your wishes in regards to your work. Their is a discussion and some suggested licensing statements here; On Licensing & Distributing Community Content (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53781-On-Licensing-Distribution-of-Community-Content). Thanks for your contribution and considering adding a licensing statement to your original post :)

EliForge
July 11th, 2020, 07:54
Complete neophyte to coding, hoping this is a simple answer for you all.

I can see, conceptually, how the AURA effect is applicable for Totem Spirit (Wolf). But I can't get all the way there...

What is the code for this particular effect? If the "foe" is within 5 ft of my Raging Barbarian, then my "friends" get ADVATK. Is this two separate effects? A single effect?

I can set it up as AURA: 5 foe; Totem Spirit (Wolf); GRANTADVATK; [SELF], but if possible, I'd like to set it up as conditional (friends get ADVATK and depends on RAGE), so that I can leave it always on (similar to Kent's "Improved Sneak Attack".

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2020, 11:51
HI Elforge, welcome to FG.

I think you are going to struggle to automate the wolf Totem Spirit. As it stands your effect as noted above will grant advantage to anyone attacking the target including the Barbarian and anyone that makes a ranged attack - neither of which is allowed by the ability. In order to automate it you would need to apply the GRANTADVATK to the enemy and then use the targeting reticule to pull the effect from the enemy onto each ally within melee range. I think it would be easier to just place a reminder onto the target and have the attacking player(s) use the ADV button when making their attacks.

Asgurgolas
July 11th, 2020, 12:43
Can't you just go on the raging character and set "IF: RAGE; IFT: CUSTOM (Totem spirit wolf) or something like that? that way the IF/IFT conditional needs to be true in both cases for the effect to trigger

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2020, 16:17
Can't you just go on the raging character and set "IF: RAGE; IFT: CUSTOM (Totem spirit wolf) or something like that? that way the IF/IFT conditional needs to be true in both cases for the effect to trigger

The problem isn't getting the GRANTADVATK onto the target the problem is refining those that get the advantage. Only allies using melee attacks get the advantage so you can't just plonk the effect on the target. It needs to be what is called a targetted effect and that needs to be specifically allowed for only those allies that do melee attacks. GRANTADVATK on it's own will give every character advantage on the attack including the Barbarian and anyone using a ranged attack

EliForge
July 11th, 2020, 19:29
Thank you, Zacchaeus. Very helpful.

I quite like the idea of "flagging" the enemies using AURA, as a reminder to the PCs to strike (melee) with ADV. It seems to be the most elegant (i.e. simple) solution.

EliForge
July 12th, 2020, 00:25
Okay, so here's what I'm thinking...

EFFECT 1 (Barbarian): If the Barbarian is in RAGE, then apply the AURA to "tag" the enemies as "spooked" (assuming they are within 5' of the Barbarian).

EFFECT 2 (Other Party Members): IFT: CUSTOM(spooked); ADVATK: melee

I feel like that should work, but I can't get the AURA to trigger only when the Barbarian is in RAGE. I tried AURA: 5 foe; IF: Rage; Spooked, but it just triggers every time.

Edited to add: I also tried AURA: 5 foe; IF: CUSTOM(Rage); Spooked, same result.

What's the correct syntax for the IF conditional with the AURA?

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2020, 00:41
The IF: CUSTOM(Rage) is looking for Rage as an effect on the Barbarian. So you’ll need an effect of Rage placed on it.

EliForge
July 12th, 2020, 01:00
TEST 1:
Barbarian does not have Rage Effect.
Expectation: AURA does not tag foes as Spooked.

TEST 2:
Barbarian enables Rage Effect.
Expectation: AURA tags foes as Spooked.

But I never get past TEST 1, as the AURA is tagging all foes with the FROMAURA effect.

EliForge
July 12th, 2020, 19:14
kentmccullough, if you are out there, would love a bit of guidance. Are there limitations on the IF statement with the AURA effect?

Or (more likely), how am I coding this incorrectly?

EliForge
July 12th, 2020, 19:40
So... Here's what I put in place, and it works! If there's a better way of doing this, please share!!

BARBARIAN: Add additional Effect to Rage - AURA: 5 foe; Spooked
PARTY MEMBERS: Add Effect - Spooked Target; IFT: CUSTOM(FROMAURA:spooked); ADVATK: melee

eriktedesco
July 12th, 2020, 22:08
Hi Eliforge, if the coding is working, please keep it or wrote it on Discord in KentMcCallough-stuff-outsource (RobTwohy channel).
Once Kent will complete the aura effect extension (as of know it is a beta version), this coding could be applied on Rob Twohy coding package (spell, class traits, racial realtà and so on).
Thanks again for you coding work!

kentmccullough
July 13th, 2020, 00:46
Don’t have the FROMAURA part in the custom. The : will mess it up.

EliForge
July 13th, 2020, 01:13
@kentmccullough, if I remove the "FROMAURA:" string, it doesn't work anymore. The Effect does not seem to recognize that Spooked is the same as FROMAURA:spooked.

kentmccullough
July 13th, 2020, 16:50
I do believe the custom tags are case sensitive, but I’m not sure if there’s a great way to get this specific trait automated well as of yet.

EliForge
July 13th, 2020, 21:19
Whether I put "spooked" or "Spooked", it does not work. Only when I use "FROMAURA:spooked" does it trigger the ADVATK. Also, the : does not appear to mess things up, at least so far...

It's a combination of factors that create this ADVATK, so it makes sense (to me) that it would require multiple Effects.

When the Barbarian is Raging, those foes closest to him are "Spooked".
When the foes are Spooked, they are easier to hit by the Barbarian's allies.

I will keep you updated, should anything surprising show up, but at this point, it's working great!

Bretwulf
July 29th, 2020, 23:03
Would this extension work in 3.5 or PFRPG?

kentmccullough
July 30th, 2020, 15:15
I haven't tested it with any ruleset other than 5E, you'd have to change the extension.xml to test it with a different ruleset, but I've got no idea if it would or not.

kevininrussia
August 15th, 2020, 17:02
As others have mentioned, in Unity this extension works great if the GM (Server) moves the tokens. If the Player (Client) moves the token nothing happens. Its as if the players distance from each other is not being calculated. If a player moves within an Aura space the GM has to move the token a little to activate the distance and get the Aura on the Tokens/Combat Tracker.

Hope this is a fixable problem for Unity.

kevininrussia
August 17th, 2020, 02:22
A PC has an effect where if the character is the closest to the target they get a +1 to attack. Is this something that can be calculated with this Aura extension?

kmalsom
August 28th, 2020, 02:50
Is there an easy way to create these aura effects as a DM and just drag them onto the character in the combat tracker? Mainly thinking for NPCs where I don't have to manually add the aura to each.

dmbrown
August 28th, 2020, 02:58
Yes. Create an effect under the effects button. It will be one of the small buttons in the upper right. Then you can drag and drop it onto a NPC when needed. I did this with spirit guardians.

Rades
August 28th, 2020, 04:21
Something I also do is have a DM-controlled PC where I "bank" useful effects, auras, damage sources, etc in their actions tab so I always have them on-hand. Examples include the standard condition effects, a bunch of different auras, falling damage, exhaustion level effects, basic damage dice of various element types for traps or random mishaps, etc. It's also handy for storing various effects so you don't have to remember the specific syntax/codings of some effects which require certain abbreviations/capitalizations.

kmalsom
August 29th, 2020, 02:07
That's a good idea as well.

EllivasKram
August 29th, 2020, 10:02
Hi Kent. Is this extn to be released soon as v1.0 Does the latest work with all the other automation extns in dmguild and nomads tools and robtwo

mattekure
September 1st, 2020, 16:32
I've been testing this in Unity for my upcoming game. I noticed that it is not triggering the effects when a player moves their token. But it does trigger when a DM moves either the PC or NPC token.

kevininrussia
September 1st, 2020, 16:50
I've been testing this in Unity for my upcoming game. I noticed that it is not triggering the effects when a player moves their token. But it does trigger when a DM moves either the PC or NPC token.

comment out these lines:

--if not nodeCT.isOwner() then
-- return;
--end

Apocrypha
September 7th, 2020, 06:47
comment out these lines:

-- return;
--end

Well, that's helpful. Why is this there if it makes it not work in Unity? Seems like a super simple fix.

Rathan01
September 7th, 2020, 14:51
comment out these lines:

-- return;
--end

Hmm, that didn't do anything for me. Still have the same issue where the DM still needs to move the token with the aura a little to update the surrounding tokens.

kentmccullough
September 8th, 2020, 15:35
Well, that's helpful. Why is this there if it makes it not work in Unity? Seems like a super simple fix.

That check drastically increased performance during initial testing as it was checking for every single person logged into the session, doing it over and over and over (our first game with it with 6 players slowed to a halt once an aura was put up.) When I've got a chance to properly work on this and test with unity I'll figure out how to make sure it's working and not terrible to actually use as well. Life has been busy alas.

Shireling
September 9th, 2020, 09:24
I will have to continue to play around with different spells where it makes sense to use this ext but I just tested it as a DM for the Chill Touch cantrip. In the spell it says:

If you hit an undead target, it also has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the end of your next turn.

The original effect applies this disadvantage if you remember to use the targeting feature to designate that specific undead as the one you hit with the chill touch, using "[TRGT]; GRANTDISATK". This also assumes that when you target that creature that it is in fact, undead or that the DM checks for you because the code doesn't actually check the type.

If you forget to use the targeting feature to designate that specific undead, you can instead use aura with the following effects (it's useful because you have to manually apply effects and damage after doing the attack roll onto a target):

For the target of the spell - Chilled; IFT: TYPE(undead); Chilled
For the caster of the spell - AURA: 120 foe; Chill Touch; IFT: CUSTOM(Chilled); GRANTDISATK; [SELF]

Both effects work as long as you know how enough about FG to apply them correctly but really this was a chance for me to test my coding skills and practice using auras. I will probably use the original effect but it was good to see it working for me.

EllivasKram
September 9th, 2020, 10:17
Will this Aura extn be supported by ‘5E Effects coding....’ modules from rob2e. Plus MadNomads ‘Auto Actions Tab Additions’. Plus CAE DMTools drag spell token.

It all begins to cascade quickly doesn’t it.

Dax Doomslayer
September 9th, 2020, 14:56
Will this Aura extn be supported by ‘5E Effects coding....’ modules from rob2e. Plus MadNomads ‘Auto Actions Tab Additions’. Plus CAE DMTools drag spell token.

It all begins to cascade quickly doesn’t it.

Kent is part of Rob2e's group and I did hear that he may be tying it into Diablo Bob's Token stuff so my guess is that this is a yes.

kentmccullough
September 9th, 2020, 23:03
I will have to continue to play around with different spells where it makes sense to use this ext but I just tested it as a DM for the Chill Touch cantrip. In the spell it says:

The original effect applies this disadvantage if you remember to use the targeting feature to designate that specific undead as the one you hit with the chill touch, using "[TRGT]; GRANTDISATK". This also assumes that when you target that creature that it is in fact, undead or that the DM checks for you because the code doesn't actually check the type.

If you forget to use the targeting feature to designate that specific undead, you can instead use aura with the following effects (it's useful because you have to manually apply effects and damage after doing the attack roll onto a target):

For the target of the spell - Chilled; IFT: TYPE(undead); Chilled
For the caster of the spell - AURA: 120 foe; Chill Touch; IFT: CUSTOM(Chilled); GRANTDISATK; [SELF]

Both effects work as long as you know how enough about FG to apply them correctly but really this was a chance for me to test my coding skills and practice using auras. I will probably use the original effect but it was good to see it working for me.

Careful with the Chilled effect, as it is you have Chilled; IFT: TYPE(undead); Chilled -- This will result in Chilled always applying since that's the name part you put before the IFT. You could do NOTE: Chilled, or NAME: or basically anything with a : after it.

@EllivasKram when I can finalize the extension into a 1.0 that's working well I expect we'll be incorporating it into Rob's spell module. I'm hoping to work something out between DiabloBob and I to have some automation, but that's more of a after 1.0 version thing.

Shireling
September 10th, 2020, 17:19
Has anyone tried to use this to automate the Wisdom check for the Turn Unholy Channel Divinity for the paladin? Is there a way to target specific types of NPCs beyond just Factions - fiends and undead?

kentmccullough
September 10th, 2020, 17:36
Has anyone tried to use this to automate the Wisdom check for the Turn Unholy Channel Divinity for the paladin?

Turn the Unholy is an action not an aura, so I don't know that it would really apply.... Not sure what part of that you're trying to automate since as it is it's simply target, and roll the save, just as simple/automatic as rolling any attack/skill

kmalsom
September 10th, 2020, 17:44
I haven't tried that, I've set up a few paladin abilities with it, but had to stop because it wasn't playing well with the One Click Druid extension. Every time the druid was wildshaped and moved into or out of the aura it crashed the system.

Shireling
September 10th, 2020, 22:12
Well, I have a paladin and I tried even automating the Aura of Protection and that functionality is not working right now in the FGU so I don't know what the deal is

arcanjl
September 13th, 2020, 14:35
This is not working for Unity yet - correct? Just making sure.

isaiaheverin
September 19th, 2020, 19:15

Definitely not, and OP hasn't been updated since May. Keep coming back to check, because this is basically the only major tool I'm missing.

viviolay
September 21st, 2020, 22:32

Uh if it's not, then idk what was happening with my game last night, cause I used it with a campaign I migrated to unity yesterday and it seemed to be working...

Maybe it was only applying the save to the paladin. They were having a rough night and kept going down, so we kept having to turn it off and on,etc. So don't take my word for it - I'm probably wrong!

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2020, 22:44
It works if the DM moves the Paladin but not if the player moves it.

EllivasKram
September 22nd, 2020, 07:24
Silly question. Should the example effect in thread #1 be applied to the cleric or applied manually to the foes.

I couldn’t get AUTO adding/removing based on distance.

EllivasKram
September 22nd, 2020, 07:26
Uh if it's not, then idk what was happening with my game last night, cause I used it with a campaign I migrated to unity yesterday and it seemed to be working...

Maybe it was only applying the save to the paladin. They were having a rough night and kept going down, so we kept having to turn it off and on,etc. So don't take my word for it - I'm probably wrong!

Can you post screen shots of the effect you applied and to whom and the combat tracker effects.

I’m struggling to have the effects AUTO adding to foes and removing from foes based on proximity. It is supposed to be automatic yes ?

isaiaheverin
October 10th, 2020, 09:18
I've got the aura extension enabled in FGU, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to function whatsoever when I (the GM) move the tokens. Has anyone run into this? Could other extensions somehow disable it?

My current extensions: 40086

Zacchaeus
October 10th, 2020, 10:09
It still seems to be working for me if the DM moves the Paladin. You'll need to disable your other extensions and re-enable them one at a time to figure out if it is one of those that are causing the issue.

isaiaheverin
October 10th, 2020, 19:48
I turned off all my extensions and it's still doing nothing. This is the right syntax, is it not? "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3"

Zacchaeus
October 10th, 2020, 20:06
I turned off all my extensions and it's still doing nothing. This is the right syntax, is it not? "AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Protection; SAVE: 3"

Yes, make sure that it is set to self.

Haslam68
October 11th, 2020, 16:12
Hi Folks!
very very nice extension by the way.

Is there a limit in distance in feet for parameter?
I'm trying tio use AURA to set temperature and noise in a dungeon. For a camp fire pit is working very fine, but I try to set general temperature ("AURA: 500 all; TEMP 15°") and it seems to cease working

Sorry my english

johnecc
October 11th, 2020, 22:03
Hi, what is the purpose of setting a temperature? I can’t think of anything that uses it. The first part of you statement “AURA: 500 all;” would work, but I doubt TEMP, if an allowable variable, is related to temperature, more likely Temporary HP. So the ‘degree’ symbol probably breaks the formula.

Haslam68
October 12th, 2020, 00:08
Its works until 100
"AURA: 100 all; TEMP 15°" works fine, i only pretend to use it as information to the players via CT

kentmccullough
October 13th, 2020, 20:19
Big maps / long distances have issues in fantasy grounds sometimes, I've noticed especially with some larger maps that distance calculations start getting all sorts of wonky, and I've never really dug into it. It's especially clear when targeting things though. Not sure if that's related to your issue or not, but there's nothing in the extension to limit how far you can set it. Just limitations of the program itself. FGU I expect is better about that.

Tatershal
October 17th, 2020, 18:26
Big maps / long distances have issues in fantasy grounds sometimes, I've noticed especially with some larger maps that distance calculations start getting all sorts of wonky, and I've never really dug into it. It's especially clear when targeting things though. Not sure if that's related to your issue or not, but there's nothing in the extension to limit how far you can set it. Just limitations of the program itself. FGU I expect is better about that.

Good morning Kentmccullough
I am trying to create an aura for the flaming sphere but the saving test for this spell is only done at the end of the turn, is it possible to do this? As?

kentmccullough
October 19th, 2020, 18:37
With my ongoing effects extension you can do SAVEO for start of turn saves, or SAVEOE for end of turn saves. They otherwise work exactly the same.

The sphere itself would need to be made into a token with a spot on the combat tracker, but could have this effect applied to it by the caster.

AURA: 5 all; Flaming Sphere; SAVEOE: DEX DC 15 (H)(M); SAVEDMG: 2d6 fire; (C)

Kordor92
November 1st, 2020, 11:55
Hi!

I can't get the extension working on FGU.

Here are the screenshots.

Can you help me, what am i doing wrong?

PS: I tried whit locked and unlocked token also, and tried to create the effects with the same syntax also.

razzed1
November 1st, 2020, 18:41
Is there a way to set Lulu's (BG:DIA Hollyphant) Aura of Invulnerability? PCs within 10 feet of her cannot be affected by spells of 5th level or higher. Or, barring that, just using a general aura that just shows who would be indie of it?

Thanks!

edit: I know how to do the general. Now, just wondering about the spell level caveat.

Zacchaeus
November 1st, 2020, 18:54
There's no effect you could create that would allow that to be automated. You can just create a dummy aura to work out who might be covered.

razzed1
November 1st, 2020, 19:14
Thank you, Zacchaeus! That is what I had worked out, but wanted to appeal to greater minds.

eriktedesco
November 1st, 2020, 21:49
Hi all!

I'm pretty bad at coding stuff. Would it be possible, for you guys, to write down in this thread the code of the main aura types?

Thank you very much in advance (for hearing me out and/or writing the code).

Eriwan
November 3rd, 2020, 22:22
Since the distance of sight it yet to be added by the devs, the idea of the over lapping paladin's areas made me think about doing something similar with Bright light, dim light, no light. But afterward, I got sad when I realize that contrary to MS Excel, I can not exclude something if something else is there ("!" doesn't work for an IF: CUSTOM ()).
Still, without using "no light" anymore, if someone cast Light or ignite a torch they can then apply AURA: 10 all; candle; dim light. Futhermore, if even work with Sunlight Sensitivity (as long as they also have IF: CUSTOM (sunlight); DISATK; DISSKILL: perception), Sunbeam could therefore apply AURA: 30 all; bright light; sunlight and AURA: 60 all; dim light; sunlight, and that trait would trigger great.
Nevertheless, I haven't figured out how (don't think it's feasable) to implement something similar for those without darkvision in the dim light, since been in bright light won't counter the dim light effect on them (for a camp fire emiting bright 20, dim 40), hence still applying the DIS on the perception skill. :\

Kiqjaq
November 5th, 2020, 18:29
... As far as the minus going that’s very odd, I’ll have to look into what may be causing that.

I hope it's not considered forward, but as someone about to play a game with Aura of Despair I went ahead and fixed this so I could use this extension, and figured I might as well share. (I didn't see any other post saying it was fixed at least.) I also made it work with PFRPG, but that's easy (just added the xml tag and pointed it to 35E instead of 5E if DataCommon.isPFRPG). For the record I'm on FG Classic.

I'm pretty sure that effect removal wasn't working for auras with negative values because, on line 91 in checkAuraAlreadyEffecting(), it was using string.match(str, str) to check for existing auras. But string.match uses something similar to regex to match, and a minus sign is a special character for matching the shortest repeating substring or some such, so only positive values were being matched properly. I swapped that line for string.find(str, str, 1, true) so that it would treat the second argument as a plain string instead of as a pattern (https://q-syshelp.qsc.com/Content/Control_Scripting/Lua_5.3_Reference_Manual/Standard_Libraries/3_-_String_Manipulation.htm) and it seems happier now.

Hope I'm not being a bother/my change actually helps, and thanks for the great extension!

kevininrussia
November 5th, 2020, 21:44
I hope it's not considered forward, but as someone about to play a game with Aura of Despair I went ahead and fixed this so I could use this extension, and figured I might as well share. (I didn't see any other post saying it was fixed at least.) I also made it work with PFRPG, but that's easy (just added the xml tag and pointed it to 35E instead of 5E if DataCommon.isPFRPG). For the record I'm on FG Classic.

I'm pretty sure that effect removal wasn't working for auras with negative values because, on line 91 in checkAuraAlreadyEffecting(), it was using string.match(str, str) to check for existing auras. But string.match uses something similar to regex to match, and a minus sign is a special character for matching the shortest repeating substring or some such, so only positive values were being matched properly. I swapped that line for string.find(str, str, 1, true) so that it would treat the second argument as a plain string instead of as a pattern (https://q-syshelp.qsc.com/Content/Control_Scripting/Lua_5.3_Reference_Manual/Standard_Libraries/3_-_String_Manipulation.htm) and it seems happier now.

Hope I'm not being a bother/my change actually helps, and thanks for the great extension!

This is not working in Unity with negative values. Still does not remove the effect when out of the Aura and spams the chat box with [ALREADY EXISTS]

This is the only line you changed correct?

if string.find(sLabel, sEffect, 1, true) then

Kiqjaq
November 6th, 2020, 10:19
This is not working in Unity with negative values. Still does not remove the effect when out of the Aura and spams the chat box with [ALREADY EXISTS]

This is the only line you changed correct?

if string.find(sLabel, sEffect, 1, true) then

Yup, that's the only one I changed. Besides adding PFRPG to the xml and the version check in the init() to point it to the correct EffectManager.
I just redownloaded the extension and only changed that line, just to make sure, and it seems to work happily with negative numbers in 5e. 40819 Honestly that sounds quite strange. I was only getting the [ALREADY EXISTS] spam with negative auras before I changed the check, presumably because it was unable to identify that the aura effect was already there and so kept trying to reapply it on every move.

But I'm running FG Classic and haven't touched FG Unity yet.

Stv
November 8th, 2020, 14:33
I think I've encountered a problem with the operation of this extension but I'm not sure if it's working as intended, or if it is a bug.

If I create the aura effect on one character and then apply the effect to that character, all is good and working properly.
If I then apply that same effect FROM the 1st character to another one, then when that second character moves their version of the effect is removed from them.

Is this as intended, and if not can it be fixed?

Cheers, Steve.

Rades
November 11th, 2020, 15:00

Thanks very much for this update, it's nice to be able to use simple -2 ATK etc auras.

I'm noticing though that this seems to clash with the IF: FACTION() feature of the extension. Example: with your modified version, AURA: 10 foe; Atk Penalty; ATK: -2 works and is removed properly when tokens move, but AURA: 10 foe; Atk Penalty; IF: FACTION(foe); ATK: -2 is not removed. (In other words, auras with IF: FACTION are now behaving like negative value auras in the unmodified version.)

I know this is a redundant example since you wouldn't need both a foe-only aura and a foe faction check, but it was just to demonstrate how the same aura fails simply by adding the IF: FACTION component. But any aura with IF: FACTION seems broken, for example: AURA: 10 foe; Flame Aura; IF: FACTION(!neutral); DMGO: 1d4, which works fine with the unmodified extension.

Kiqjaq
November 12th, 2020, 10:07
I'm noticing though that this seems to clash with the IF: FACTION() feature of the extension.

Indeed it was! Thanks for catching that. I've uploaded a fixed version of my fix that should hopefully stop breaking that.

FYI for anyone checking the code: Now in total I've changed lines 90 and 115 (maybe should have done that before) from string.match(s,s) to string.find(s,s,1,true), and I've removed the gsubs from line 99 that were adding escape characters to parentheses.

Korav
November 21st, 2020, 16:07
For some reason I'm struggling with what seems a very simple use case. The monster that I am using has a very simple if a PC is within 10 ft. of it, they should take 1d6 fire damage. I thought it would be as simple as:

AURA: 10 foe; DMGO: 1d6 fire;

This doesn't seem to work though, the creature gets the following FROMAURA:

FROMAURA:DMGO 1d6 fire;

However it doesn't cause the damage to be applied to that creature. What's worse is the original AURA causes the damage to be applied to the person with the AURA, I believe that it's just parsing the DMGO and applying it.

Am I missing something obvious? Does anyone have an example of a simple damage aura?

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2020, 17:27
I think you'll need something like this (if I'm reading things correctly from the first post):

AURA: 10 foe; IF: FACTION (friendly); DMG: 1d6, fire.

The faction bit might be (foe); I'm not sure if the FACTION bit looks at who has the aura and decides whether the actor is friendly or for to it or whether friendly is always a PC and foe is always an NPC, or whether it is determined by the status of the actor on the CT (that is if it's green it's friendly etc).

Korav
November 21st, 2020, 18:37
Thanks Zaccheus, while yours isn't exactly right, it got me pointed in the right direction. Strangely I think part of my challenge was not having a "name" for the effect. This is what ended up working for me:

AURA: 10 foe; Flaming Aura; IF: FACTION(foe); DMGO: 1d6 fire

arcanjl
November 21st, 2020, 20:40
Indeed it was! Thanks for catching that. I've uploaded a fixed version of my fix that should hopefully stop breaking that.

FYI for anyone checking the code: Now in total I've changed lines 90 and 115 (maybe should have done that before) from string.match(s,s) to string.find(s,s,1,true), and I've removed the gsubs from line 99 that were adding escape characters to parentheses.

Does that mean it works in Unity now?

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2020, 20:57
It does work in Unity; although it doesn't in the campaign I ported over from Classic. But testing in a new campaign it seems to work.

arcanjl
November 21st, 2020, 21:00
Ty :)

Korav
November 21st, 2020, 21:39
My experience is that Aura Effects works in FGU, but there are some "gotcha's".

1) This works without issue for the GM regardless of whether or not Token Locking is enabled.
2) Token Locking must be enabled for the AURA to apply the FROMAURA effect when a character moves in or out of the AURA.

If a character does not have the FROMAURA effect due to moving around without Token Locking enabled, but then enters the AURA prior to Token Locking being enabled, the AURA will not be present. To work around either have the player move to the same space, or the DM needs to move then move back the player.

The reverse is also true, meaning if they have the FROMAURA effect when Token Locking is disabled, then it will remain until the GM moves them or they move again with Token Locking enabled.

It is slightly tedious to manage, but it's honestly better than managing the effects of the AURA itself.

lokiare
November 29th, 2020, 21:13
Is there a way to make this work for square areas? I'm planning to make it work with spell AoE effects.

kentmccullough
November 30th, 2020, 19:37
Is there a way to make this work for square areas? I'm planning to make it work with spell AoE effects.

Right now there is not, I am planning on adding options in for that kind of thing with the 1.0 release though.

Eriwan
December 6th, 2020, 18:50
Well good news peeps, I don't know if it was the modif made by @Kiqjaq or an actual update fgu, but yesterday the FROMAURA effects were applying and getting remove from our character in the CT while moving our token on the map even without the token locking or the DM actually moving our tokens! (:

MrDDT
December 7th, 2020, 01:44
This is so awesome.

Korav
December 8th, 2020, 15:44
Well good news peeps, I don't know if it was the modif made by @Kiqjaq or an actual update fgu, but yesterday the FROMAURA effects were applying and getting remove from our character in the CT while moving our token on the map even without the token locking or the DM actually moving our tokens! (:

Interestingly I am not see this behavior, meaning my behavior remains as I previously described (token locking needs to be on or the DM must move the token for the FROMAURA to apply or be removed). I'd be curious if you are using the version from @Kiqjaq or made some other modification.

MrDDT
December 8th, 2020, 15:47
Interestingly I am not see this behavior, meaning my behavior remains as I previously described (token locking needs to be on or the DM must move the token for the FROMAURA to apply or be removed). I'd be curious if you are using the version from @Kiqjaq or made some other modification.

Using the version from Kiqjap, mine works with token locked or unlocked. Players move or DM moves.

lokiare
December 8th, 2020, 16:03
Using the version from Kiqjap, mine works with token locked or unlocked. Players move or DM moves.

This is most likely caused by the token moves only being reported on the DM side and the player side not having permission to alter the effects or see the token movement. It could be fixed by a message to the GM side requesting the info.

MrDDT
December 8th, 2020, 16:08
This is most likely caused by the token moves only being reported on the DM side and the player side not having permission to alter the effects or see the token movement. It could be fixed by a message to the GM side requesting the info.

I'm confused.

Mine works just fine, if the players move it, if the DM moves it, if the tokens are locked, or not locked.

Are you saying it shouldn't work like this?

Verdigris
December 8th, 2020, 19:12
Having issues getting this to work. Cut and paste Kent's statement doesn't seem to work, nor any attempt to enter it manually. It applies the effect (SAVE: 5) to the caster, but it does not have the aura effect for other tokens.

Using FGU.

kentmccullough
December 8th, 2020, 19:12

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to update this. In FGC all tokens were owned by DM so no OOB messaging was required, now that players have ownership of their tokens for LoS and such OOB Messaging I expect will need to be added for it. Token locking makes the onMove happen by the DM since they approve it so they end up having it fire on their end. All that said, if it's working now for MrDDT sounds like some magic, and a nice happy coincidence perhaps.

DM_BK
December 10th, 2020, 20:49
I was playing with this, I using the updated version from the previous page (@Kiqjaq) in FGU. The auras are applying and removing effects as they should but they don't seem to actually do anything when on someone has the effect on them.

REGEN: 1d10 or REGEN: 10 does nothing - people don't regen when their turn comes up
RESIST: bludgeoning,slashing,piercing - people get hit with bludgeoning and they take full damage
DMGO: 1d10 fire damages the entity generating the aura on but not any of the foes (as its set to AURA 5 foe). The FROMAURA: effect goes on the foes but only thing getting damaged is the friendly generating the aura, a foe turn comes up and nothing happens.

So I'm applying the effect to the aura generating player or object correctly because its acting like an aura should be the results of that aura do not work on what they are applied to. Thoughts?

EDIT: I got it working by changing the string for FROMAURA: to FROMAURA;

lokiare
December 11th, 2020, 16:56
I was playing with this, I using the updated version from the previous page (@Kiqjaq) in FGU. The auras are applying and removing effects as they should but they don't seem to actually do anything when on someone has the effect on them.

REGEN: 1d10 or REGEN: 10 does nothing - people don't regen when their turn comes up
RESIST: bludgeoning,slashing,piercing - people get hit with bludgeoning and they take full damage
DMGO: 1d10 fire damages the entity generating the aura on but not any of the foes (as its set to AURA 5 foe). The FROMAURA: effect goes on the foes but only thing getting damaged is the friendly generating the aura, a foe turn comes up and nothing happens.

So I'm applying the effect to the aura generating player or object correctly because its acting like an aura should be the results of that aura do not work on what they are applied to. Thoughts?

EDIT: I got it working by changing the string for FROMAURA: to FROMAURA;

Also spaces between the colon and the effect can cause things to not work sometimes.

kentmccullough
December 12th, 2020, 03:09
Make sure you name the aura. "Aura: 5 foe; NAME; DMGO: 1d10 fire"
This will make the effect on others be "FROMAURA: NAME; DMGO: 1d10 fire"
Without that you end up with "FROMAURA: DMGO: 1d10 fire" which will not work.

Bercilak
December 13th, 2020, 18:23
Hi y'all,
I'm having an issue with this extension working for Large creatures. I'm not sure if it's an error in the way FGU calculates distance (which seems to be from the center of the token instead of the edge?) or an issue with the extension. When our paladin is large, his 10' aura only activates for allies within one square, instead of two. It also seems to treat diagonal squares as further than 10' away.

So in the attached image, the character to the east of the large paladin is in the aura, but neither of the characters to the NW or S are. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--Berc

lokiare
December 14th, 2020, 16:20
Hi y'all,
I'm having an issue with this extension working for Large creatures. I'm not sure if it's an error in the way FGU calculates distance (which seems to be from the center of the token instead of the edge?) or an issue with the extension. When our paladin is large, his 10' aura only activates for allies within one square, instead of two. It also seems to treat diagonal squares as further than 10' away.

So in the attached image, the character to the east of the large paladin is in the aura, but neither of the characters to the NW or S are. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--Berc

Just add 5 foot to the area size, should fix most issues.

Bercilak
December 14th, 2020, 20:33
Thanks, lokiare. That fixes orthagonal distance, but not diagonal distance, which only works one square away if the aura is set to 15'. Targeting range measures correctly using Standard measurement as 10'. But maybe the extension is using RAW or Hybrid distance? (The pally is also 15th level, so changing all the auras every time he changes size is doable, but not ideal. Although having four spaces of non-aura is better than what we were having to deal with with no extension!)

kentmccullough
December 17th, 2020, 00:35
Thanks, lokiare. That fixes orthagonal distance, but not diagonal distance, which only works one square away if the aura is set to 15'. Targeting range measures correctly using Standard measurement as 10'. But maybe the extension is using RAW or Hybrid distance? (The pally is also 15th level, so changing all the auras every time he changes size is doable, but not ideal. Although having four spaces of non-aura is better than what we were having to deal with with no extension!)

Distance is calculated as actual distance as far as diagonals are concerned. I’m planning on allowing other rulings as a config option for diagonals in the final release.
I’m not sure on the official ruling regarding auras from larger creatures. Generally for 5th edition these kinds of effects have to originate from a point. I’ll definitely look at adjusting the logic based on the size of the token. Before I publish version 1.0. Thanks for the info as I likely wouldn’t have thought of this use case.

Bercilak
December 17th, 2020, 14:07
Thanks for the reply!
I don't know that there's an official ruling on where an aura emanates. Obviously measuring from the edge of a paladin has issues because if they are larger than medium size, their aura covers more ground. But measuring from the center causes similar problems (would a Huge paladin's aura only include themselves? Is that even an aura?)

There's some discussion with links here: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/129389/if-a-paladin-becomes-large-at-what-point-does-the-paladins-aura-originate

Thanks for thinking about this. For now, I have the aura set at 15' and that works okay. I'm just grateful not to have to check all players for auras every time a monster casts a spell.

lokiare
December 18th, 2020, 16:15
Thanks for the reply!
I don't know that there's an official ruling on where an aura emanates. Obviously measuring from the edge of a paladin has issues because if they are larger than medium size, their aura covers more ground. But measuring from the center causes similar problems (would a Huge paladin's aura only include themselves? Is that even an aura?)

There's some discussion with links here: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/129389/if-a-paladin-becomes-large-at-what-point-does-the-paladins-aura-originate

Thanks for thinking about this. For now, I have the aura set at 15' and that works okay. I'm just grateful not to have to check all players for auras every time a monster casts a spell.

After reading that it seems very clear that auras are "(X) ft. away from creature" meaning its a distance from a creature and not some kind of circle at a point somewhere on the creature. So you would always measure from the edge of the creature.

MrDDT
December 18th, 2020, 16:18
After reading that it seems very clear that auras are "(X) ft. away from creature" meaning its a distance from a creature and not some kind of circle at a point somewhere on the creature. So you would always measure from the edge of the creature.

So that would make a Pally Aura as a medium creature is going need to be put in as a 12.5 (or maybe 12 or 13) ft aura? As it's coming from the middle of the Pally?

lokiare
December 19th, 2020, 18:10
So that would make a Pally Aura as a medium creature is going need to be put in as a 12.5 (or maybe 12 or 13) ft aura? As it's coming from the middle of the Pally?

No the exact opposite.

MrDDT
December 19th, 2020, 18:34
No the exact opposite.
I meant to say "AS IF its coming from the center of the Pally"
The way I see it is, if the person causing the aura is medium in they are a 5ft square. They project an aura around them that is 10ft in all directions, which is 2 squares around them.

So you should be making a 25' square around a medium token, 30' around a large token, 35' around a huge token etc.
If you do a circle, then it will cut off a lot of the squares that should be covered no? I see no way of getting around in this aura thing other than using squares and centering it on the creature. It hits all the right boxes like that.
If you do a radius, it doesn't calculate the area correctly.

lokiare
December 20th, 2020, 16:12
I meant to say "AS IF its coming from the center of the Pally"
The way I see it is, if the person causing the aura is medium in they are a 5ft square. They project an aura around them that is 10ft in all directions, which is 2 squares around them.

So you should be making a 25' square around a medium token, 30' around a large token, 35' around a huge token etc.
If you do a circle, then it will cut off a lot of the squares that should be covered no? I see no way of getting around in this aura thing other than using squares and centering it on the creature. It hits all the right boxes like that.
If you do a radius, it doesn't calculate the area correctly.

Yes, that is correct. Rules wise most auras are "X feet away from (source)" which would be measured from the outside. In the case of the extension you have to add the size of the token to the aura itself.

soonerhef
December 28th, 2020, 17:52
This works well for me in FGU. Thank you, Kent!

DM_BK
December 28th, 2020, 19:39
I guess this isn't working entirely for me. I just realized that the player moves aren't adding/removing auras in FGU (as many people have stated in this thread - 18 pages, didn't read them all until today).

I tried making a test campaign and only loading this extension.
If the GM moves the token OR token locking is ON and the player move is confirmed by the GM -- then aura's add/remove as it's supposed to.

I've hacked away at the script and I can't figure the issue out. This would make a lot of peoples lives greatly improved if a solution could be found. Anyone have any ideas?? I'm wondering if @soonerhef has tried having a player move into/out of an aura...

soonerhef
December 28th, 2020, 23:44
I always have token locking on. I just tried with token locking off and it does not work, so you are not crazy:). Token locking works for my group, so I did not think to try turning it off.

Bercilak
December 29th, 2020, 04:56
I don't use token locking, and I've found it's easy enough, as the DM, to just move the paladin token before a baddie does something that could be affected by the aura. A quick 5'step and back seems to work, and it's far easier than applying an effect to all the members of the party one by one.

DM_BK
December 29th, 2020, 23:24
I think its the removing that's the bigger issue... someone moves half way across the screen away from the aura generator (not every use case is Paladin)... it's not as simple as a 5ft adjustment. At that point it's just easier to manually remove the aura from the person but this happens a lot and commonly isn't caught immediately.

It would just be really nice if it worked like it does in FGC.

kentmccullough
January 2nd, 2021, 19:34
I'm working on updating for FGU to work properly without tokens locked, time is limited, especially around the holidays, and lately with work. It's definitely planned, but I don't have a good estimated time unfortunately.

MrDDT
January 2nd, 2021, 20:29
Awesome thanks Kent

DaFlanders
January 4th, 2021, 16:36
I'm having the exact same problem and haven't been able to figure out a solution yet.

DaFlanders
January 4th, 2021, 16:39
Having issues getting this to work. Cut and paste Kent's statement doesn't seem to work, nor any attempt to enter it manually. It applies the effect (SAVE: 5) to the caster, but it does not have the aura effect for other tokens.

Using FGU.

I'm having the exact same issue. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet.

Pls ignorw the previous reply I made. This is my first time using the forum and I had no idea what I was doing lol.

kentmccullough
January 5th, 2021, 19:32
I'm having the exact same issue. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet.

Pls ignorw the previous reply I made. This is my first time using the forum and I had no idea what I was doing lol.

For FGU the DM will likely still have to move the token after the AURA effect is on them to update it. At least until I can fix some things for unity. Other than that I'd need more information to help you out. Are all the tokens in the combat tracker, does the map have a grid / how far away are the tokens, anything can be helpful if something is behaving improperly.

Typically screenshots of the chat window, combat tracker, and the map are helpful.

DaFlanders
January 5th, 2021, 19:55
For FGU the DM will likely still have to move the token after the AURA effect is on them to update it. At least until I can fix some things for unity. Other than that I'd need more information to help you out. Are all the tokens in the combat tracker, does the map have a grid / how far away are the tokens, anything can be helpful if something is behaving improperly.

Typically screenshots of the chat window, combat tracker, and the map are helpful.

It seems that I simply wasn't moving the token to update the effect. I guess I completely overlooked that while I was reading forum posts and messing around inside the program to try and get it to work. I'm very sorry about that. Super easy fix, thank you so much for taking time and helping me! Now that I know how to use it properly it's going to help out a ton!

Mats-Fu
January 6th, 2021, 06:34
I too was not able to get this to work. My set up nearly identical to ScriedRaven's. Does this only work for FG unity?

fangxianfu
January 6th, 2021, 20:05
Hi Kent,

Great addon. Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the thread, but I couldn't find it. Would you mind if I used this code as the basis for a 4E version? There's no licensing statement in the archive or in the thread, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

cavalieredraghi
February 2nd, 2021, 16:57
I have been struggling as well for about a month to try and get the aura to work.
I have tried changing the possible wording, making sure syntax is correct, moving through rounds, moving tokens to and from the token that has the aura, as well as moving the token with the aura. Here is a pic of where I have stopped last if it helps at all. 43417

Aura of Protection is what I am trying to test, Aura of the Guardian is more or less there as a reminder to the player.

MrDDT
February 2nd, 2021, 18:03
I have been struggling as well for about a month to try and get the aura to work.
I have tried changing the possible wording, making sure syntax is correct, moving through rounds, moving tokens to and from the token that has the aura, as well as moving the token with the aura. Here is a pic of where I have stopped last if it helps at all. 43417

Aura of Protection is what I am trying to test, Aura of the Guardian is more or less there as a reminder to the player.

It's working for me. I would make sure you either have locked token movement (GM has to approve moves) or GM is moving all tokens.

Rades
February 2nd, 2021, 18:20

Do you have grid enabled on that map? It looks like the gridlines visible are part of the actual image file, not a grid you have set within FG. And I think setting the grid is required for this extension to calculate distances, etc.

Edit: Just noticed that this appears to be Unity, which I don't use yet, so apologies if you have set grid and I just don't recognize what it looks like in Unity.

Tatershal
February 3rd, 2021, 19:05
is there a possibility to set up an aura that affects allies, granting 1d6 +lvl temporary hit points?

lokiare
February 11th, 2021, 20:11
Just a heads up: Breaking changes in TEST now for a LIVE release soon. Please take a look and see if you can fix it.

jjf41992
February 12th, 2021, 10:54
Just wondering how one would code for the Oathbreaker's Aura of Hate? Just downloaded the extension and I am having trouble figuring it out but I'm sure that it works somehow it's just not really working for me and I would really appreciate the help.

arcanjl
February 12th, 2021, 13:57
I don’t believe this works in unity yet…

Jiminimonka
February 17th, 2021, 10:57
I don’t believe this works in unity yet…

It has always worked in Unity, and it continues to work with the new update to the rulesets yesterday.

arcanjl
February 17th, 2021, 14:00
You are correct, if the DM moves the tokens. I should have been more specific.

MrDDT
February 17th, 2021, 17:24
You are correct, if the DM moves the tokens. I should have been more specific.

Or using locked tokens correct. It's always worked like this in Unity.

kalaolani
February 17th, 2021, 18:45
I can confirm that with the most recent FGU update, this extension works in Unity.

Genthrock
February 20th, 2021, 01:00
Any headway on allowing the aura to update when the player moves the token without being locked?

estrolof
February 26th, 2021, 09:40
We see there's a wealth of discussion around token lock, which impacts adding/removing the effect on entering or exiting the aura.

However, one of the example spells used at the outset of this thread is Spirit Guardians. That spell also includes "...when the creature enters the area for the first time..." (which, I imagine would apply to many monster fear auras, as well). Is there a way to use the Aura to trigger this initial saving throw roll on entering the aura? As we have it now (see below) the saving throw only triggers for the "begins in the aura".

( AURA: 15 foe; Spirit Guardians; IF: FACTION(foe); SAVEO: wisdom DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; Speed halved; (C) )

Genthrock
February 26th, 2021, 15:44
We see there's a wealth of discussion around token lock, which impacts adding/removing the effect on entering or exiting the aura.

However, one of the example spells used at the outset of this thread is Spirit Guardians. That spell also includes "...when the creature enters the area for the first time..." (which, I imagine would apply to many monster fear auras, as well). Is there a way to use the Aura to trigger this initial saving throw roll on entering the aura? As we have it now (see below) the saving throw only triggers for the "begins in the aura".

( AURA: 15 foe; Spirit Guardians; IF: FACTION(foe); SAVEO: wisdom DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; Speed halved; (C) )

I honestly can't imagine how hard it would be for the system to identify first time application per turn. And if it is the enemy moving into it or the Aura Moving onto the Enemy. Remember it doesn't trigger if you walk the aura over them.

estrolof
February 26th, 2021, 17:45
Right, that was our thought too.

When the "foe" enters the aura it is successfully applied. [And, as the lengthy token lock conversation explained, it removes it if the DM moves the foe or PC (and thus the aura).] However, it doesn't trigger the expected save (and thus damage) until round 2 (assuming the foe begins its turn with the aura in place).

For now, my PC and I, assume he'll need to roll that initial 'on entry/application' cast manually - not the end of the world. But, if someone else knows a means to modify the effect so it does both initial and ongoing casts, we figured it's better to ask. :P

Darth Jerod
March 5th, 2021, 00:31
I will like this even more when diagonal's will be counted as 10 feet away. I am loving this though as I have finally discovered it. It will make some of my players with auras happy.

johnecc
March 5th, 2021, 01:45
Considering the extension is written specifically for 5e, which does not count diagonals as 10’, that’s not likely to happen. Even in the old 3/3.5 ed, it was only every second diagonal that counted as 10’, so that wouldn’t suit your needs either.

Valdemar
March 9th, 2021, 12:40
Considering the extension is written specifically for 5e, which does not count diagonals as 10’, that’s not likely to happen. Even in the old 3/3.5 ed, it was only every second diagonal that counted as 10’, so that wouldn’t suit your needs either.

If you have the setting "House Rules (GM) - Map: Diagonal Distance" set to "variant" I believe the extension will calculate distance as every other diagonal being 10'. Which is mathematically quite accurate - way more than every diagonal being 5' or 10'.

anathemort
March 18th, 2021, 18:01
I think it's worth noting on the front page that you need to have the grid enabled and visible for this extension to function. I tend to use the grid with visibility turned off, so if you want to do that and use this extension, you need to make the grid visible but set the alpha color channel to 0 to get the same effect.

Thanks for this very helpful extension, regardless!

kentmccullough
March 18th, 2021, 19:35
I think it's worth noting on the front page that you need to have the grid enabled and visible for this extension to function. I tend to use the grid with visibility turned off, so if you want to do that and use this extension, you need to make the grid visible but set the alpha color channel to 0 to get the same effect.

Thanks for this very helpful extension, regardless!

I didn’t realize that was the case. Thanks for the info and I’ll see about making that not required in the 1.0 release

anathemort
March 18th, 2021, 20:30
That would be a welcome adjustment! :)

nephranka
March 18th, 2021, 22:15

This would be a great advancement to a great extension!

kentmccullough
March 19th, 2021, 04:02
Initial entry is something I want to also add, but it's somewhat awkward. I'll likely have an implementation of it added to the 1.0 release, if not a completely perfect and refined one that can be disabled if the implementation is less than ideal for you.

estrolof
March 19th, 2021, 04:04
Awesome, Kent!

nephranka
March 19th, 2021, 11:04
Looking forward to 1.0. Thanks!

GKEnialb
March 20th, 2021, 17:42
Either one of the latest ruleset updates started causing issues or I forgot how to use this (equal odds). Now, on a map with tokens locked and grid visible, if a player moves from outside the range of an aura several squares into the aura, when the DM accepts the move, the aura is applied multiple times. When the player moves out of the aura, errors occur.

Additionally, the friend/foe seem to be ignored now (with an aura against foes even affecting the source). Here are a couple of auras which exhibit this behavior:

AURA: 30 foe; Siphoning Aura; IF: FACTION(foe); SAVEO: constitution DC 15 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 4d6+4 necrotic;
AURA: 10 all; IF: FACTION(!foe); Aura of Protection; SAVE: +5

Love the extension (and ongoing saves), but had to turn this off for the moment. Hopefully it's something on my end. This is with v0.4, no other extensions, and latest FGU (2/4 application, 3/16 core, 3/12 5E).

Bonkon
March 21st, 2021, 00:42
Either one of the latest ruleset updates started causing issues or I forgot how to use this (equal odds). Now, on a map with tokens locked and grid visible, if a player moves from outside the range of an aura several squares into the aura, when the DM accepts the move, the aura is applied multiple times. When the player moves out of the aura, errors occur.

Additionally, the friend/foe seem to be ignored now (with an aura against foes even affecting the source). Here are a couple of auras which exhibit this behavior:

Love the extension (and ongoing saves), but had to turn this off for the moment. Hopefully it's something on my end. This is with v0.4, no other extensions, and latest FGU (2/4 application, 3/16 core, 3/12 5E).

Good Day GKEnialb :)
It might just be the screen shot, but I do not see a Cat 2 (or any of your targeted NPC's) in your Combat Tracker (Could just be out of visual range, but I do not see a scroll bar either) :)

GKEnialb
March 21st, 2021, 04:12
Ah, yeah, had a bunch of things in the combat tracker for a different test (with no modules loaded, so not many choices :)). Here's a screenshot where the PC started 45' away and ended 5' away with only a PC and a single NPC in the combat tracker:

There's actually almost 60 effects added to the PC if you scrolled down enough.

GKEnialb
March 21st, 2021, 04:25
Dup

nephranka
March 22nd, 2021, 00:32
Ah, yeah, had a bunch of things in the combat tracker for a different test (with no modules loaded, so not many choices :)). Here's a screenshot where the PC started 45' away and ended 5' away with only a PC and a single NPC in the combat tracker:

There's actually almost 60 effects added to the PC if you scrolled down enough.

I can confirm this as well. It seems to happen when the map is locked and the token is moving. It spams the GM a lot. It does not happen when the GM moves the tokens.

Update:
My test was just to have the client move though an area where the aura was active on a locked map. Once the GM ok-ed the move the token got a lot of attached effects and error when it tried to remove them:
[ERROR] Unable to find effect to remove. (combattracker.list.id-00002.effects.id-00013)

The exact order of chat put is:
Effect ['FROMAURA:IF: FACTION(!neutral); SAVEO: constitution DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 5d8 poison, spell; (C)'] -> [to test] [by Stinking Cloud]

After a whole bunch of those you will get:
Effect ['FROMAURA:IF: FACTION(!neutral); SAVEO: constitution DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 5d8 poison, spell; (C)'] -> [EXPIRED] [on test]

Followed by a bunch of:
[ERROR] Unable to find effect to remove. (combattracker.list.id-00002.effects.id-00013)

Screen attached.

As it is...this is unusable and I had to turn it off for the game.

I hope this helps because I really like this ext.

randomnumber46
March 26th, 2021, 17:14
Hey! I've been using this for my paladin player for a while with no issues however I've just bought the Polymorphism extension and now I'm getting an error which seems to be a conflict between this and Polymorphism.

The error doesn't seem to actually be stopping anything from working correctly as far as I can tell. When something is polymorphed, it adds an effect to the caster for concentration (as normal), but ending the spell by breaking concentration (either due to damage, using the button created by Polymorphism or by just manually deleting the concentration effect) brings up this error: https://ibb.co/zFtT37Z

This error does not appear when the polymorph is removed due to hitting zero hit points, so I'm assuming this is something to do with the way Aura Effects modifies how effects are handles in order to apply them to other characters, but that's just me guessing.

While it would be great if this could be fixed I'm more concerned that this is causing some issue that I'm not seeing so would be great if anyone could confirm if I can safely ignore this error or not.

Treolias
March 29th, 2021, 05:45
Howdy! I'm trying to figure out how to code the "Aura of Purity" correctly.

I've got the first part working fine:

"Each nonhostile creature in the aura (including you) can't become diseased, has resistance to poison damage, "

I have this coded as:

"AURA: 30 friend; Aura of Purity; IMMUNE: diseased; RESIST: poison; "

The problem is I'm stumbling on getting the last part working:

"has advantage on saving throws against effects that cause any of the following conditions: blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, and stunned."

When I read the wiki on how to code this part, it says coding Advantage on Saving throws is:

ADVSAV: [ability] or [concentration]

Is there a way to get it working for [condition] as well? I've not had luck getting it working so far when i try to code the last part as:

ADVSAV: blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned

What am I missing in getting this working?

randomnumber46
March 29th, 2021, 12:12
Think you might need this extension (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/314134/Fantasy-Grounds-Automatic-Save-Advantage?src=also_purchased&filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0) to be able to do that. By default, FG has no way to know what you are rolling saves for so there is no way to automate this.

randomnumber46
April 1st, 2021, 14:12
Does anyone else use polymorphism with this extension? I can't imagine I'm the only one who does.

nephranka
April 1st, 2021, 14:40
Does anyone else use polymorphism with this extension? I can't imagine I'm the only one who does.

I do and I also see this error with just these two extensions are loaded. I love this extension but it is starting to show cracks in the code as more changes roll out. I really like it but I am fearful it is going to develop more issues.

Vigilance
April 3rd, 2021, 04:11
I am having a problem when moving adding multiple effects. If you move with the keys one square at a time it works fine, but the mouse causes the effect to add this multiple times.

MestreDosGados
April 5th, 2021, 04:48
I'm trying to make a Hive Queen that when bloodied would "cry for help" and give their children a buff, but it isn't working. Someone can help me if i'm messing the sintax or tell me if it's actually impossible to do it?
IF: Bloodied; Crying of the Queen; AURA: 30 friend; DMG: 5; ATK: 1d4; CHECK: 1d4
What's happening is that when her children when inside an 30 feet radius are receiving "FROMAURA: DMG: 5; ATK: 1d4; CHECK: 1d4", like the code is ignoring the "IF: Bloodied;" part.
I also tried:
Crying of the Queen; IF: Bloodied; AURA: 30 friend; DMG: 5; ATK: 1d4; CHECK: 1d4
but it didn't work either.

MSW
April 6th, 2021, 06:40
Bloodied is not an FantasyGrounds status so you need

IF: CUSTOM(bloodied); ....
or
IF: CUSTOM(Bloodied); ....

The Word in the () must be exactly written as in the code when you apply it to your npc. (BloOdiEd) if you like.

MestreDosGados
April 6th, 2021, 14:36
Bloodied is not an FantasyGrounds status so you need

IF: CUSTOM(bloodied); ....
or
IF: CUSTOM(Bloodied); ....

The Word in the () must be exactly written as in the code when you apply it to your npc. (BloOdiEd) if you like.

It actually is. It's a conditional operator like ALIGN, SIZE, TYPE, Wounded and Bloodied-> https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Edit: It looks like the AURA can't have a condition to be activated. It's always activated, ignoring the IF or the IFT

ScriedRaven
April 6th, 2021, 14:47
I'm trying to make a Hive Queen that when bloodied would "cry for help" and give their children a buff, but it isn't working. Someone can help me if i'm messing the sintax or tell me if it's actually impossible to do it?
IF: Bloodied; Crying of the Queen; AURA: 30 friend; DMG: 5; ATK: 1d4; CHECK: 1d4
What's happening is that when her children when inside an 30 feet radius are receiving "FROMAURA: DMG: 5; ATK: 1d4; CHECK: 1d4", like the code is ignoring the "IF: Bloodied;" part.

The effect doesn't work with conditional modifiers unfortunately, so you'll have to just know when to add it.

Lexi the Red
April 7th, 2021, 23:34
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, I was browsing through the replies and didn't see it though. Is it possible to have an Aura that does one effect for friends, and a different effect for foes? I tried putting them together like this: AURA: 30 friend; Aura Name; ADVATK; AURA: 30 foe; Aura Name; DISATK. It looks like it only applies the first aura to friends and then stops. If I reverse the order, and put the foe Aura first, then it applies the aura to foes, but not friends. I know I could do this as two separate auras, but if there is a way to put them together into one that would be stellar!

bmos
April 8th, 2021, 01:24
I updated this extension for compatibility with the Feb 16th ruleset updates. User.isHost() is now Session.IsHost.
It should also work in 4E, 3.5E, and PFRPG.
EDIT: reuploaded to add 4E ruleset tag
EDIT2: removed in favor of next update (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects&p=592655&viewfull=1#post592655)

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 02:03
I updated this extension for compatibility with the Feb 16th ruleset updates.

Hey bmos, "IF: FACTION(foe)" Is this working in Pathfinder? I cant get the FACTION to work (keeping the aura effect off the caster) in 4e so wondering if this is calling some specific 5e code? Everything else is working, just this part has stumped me.

Edit: I have not tried your update. Will test it now.

Same issue:

AURA: 5 friend; Example; IF: FACTION(friend); ATK: 2

This gives a +2 to allies and to caster...

bmos
April 8th, 2021, 02:43
Hey bmos, "IF: FACTION(foe)" Is this working in Pathfinder? I cant get the FACTION to work (keeping the aura effect off the caster) in 4e so wondering if this is calling some specific 5e code? Everything else is working, just this part has stumped me.

Edit: I have not tried your update. Will test it now.

Same issue:

AURA: 5 friend; Example; IF: FACTION(friend); ATK: 2

This gives a +2 to allies and to caster...Yes, it does that in PFRPG as well. I assumed that was normal behavior based on how the example effect is written.

I would write that as:

ATK: -2; AURA: 5 friend; Example; ATK: 2

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 06:40
Yes, it does that in PFRPG as well. I assumed that was normal behavior based on how the example effect is written.

I would write that as:

Yeah, thats what I have been doing.

When testing in 5E the IF: FACTION does keep the effect from applying on the caster.

nephranka
April 8th, 2021, 10:35
I updated this extension for compatibility with the Feb 16th ruleset updates. User.isHost() is now Session.IsHost.
It should also work in 4E, 3.5E, and PFRPG.
EDIT: reuploaded to add 4E ruleset tag

Thank you!

bmos
April 8th, 2021, 13:26
Yeah, thats what I have been doing.

When testing in 5E the IF: FACTION does keep the effect from applying on the caster.Are you testing with exactly that same effect?
To me it basically just looks like you'd have to mark the caster as neutral since a PC caster is marked "friend".

EDIT: here is v0.5 which fixes the excessive "effect already exists" chat messages.
Now it only posts when entering/exiting an aura.

Download:
https://github.com/bmos/FG-Aura-Effect/releases/tag/v0.5

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 16:22
Yes, it does that in PFRPG as well. I assumed that was normal behavior based on how the example effect is written.

I would write that as: ATK: -2; AURA: 5 friend; Example; ATK: 2

That works in most situations but this example it does not work:

SKILL: -1 diplomacy; AURA: 10 friend; Aura of Diplomacy; SKILL: 1 diplomacy

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 16:32
Are you testing with exactly that same effect?
To me it basically just looks like you'd have to mark the caster as neutral since a PC caster is marked "friend".

EDIT: here is another update which fixes the excessive "effect already exists" chat messages.
Now it only posts when entering/exiting an aura.

I have not tested your updates but wanted to mention the negative number bug in the original code that was fixed in this post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects&p=554032&viewfull=1#post554032

bmos
April 8th, 2021, 17:24
I have not tested your updates but wanted to mention the negative number bug in the original code that was fixed in this post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects&p=554032&viewfull=1#post554032

Have you tried with the new version I just posted? I think I might have just fixed that on my own haha

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 17:41
Have you tried with the new version I just posted? I think I might have just fixed that on my own haha

I will give it a good testing today and report back :-) Thanks for working on this extension!

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 18:17
Here is an issue I found on large creatures. The token has to be centered on the large token to get the aura effect to apply. If in the square the aura effect is not applied.

p.s. Still don't know what the IF: FACTION does.

https://i.imgur.com/PgeNDaL.png

bmos
April 8th, 2021, 19:49
I think you're getting confused about how factions work (or else I am misunderstanding it). "foe" doesn't seem to mean foes of that creature, it means any creatures marked as foes on the combat tracker.

Here is an issue I found on large creatures. The token has to be centered on the large token to get the aura effect to apply. If in the square the aura effect is not applied.

p.s. Still don't know what the IF: FACTION does.

https://i.imgur.com/PgeNDaL.pngWell you do have it set to AURA: 1... so I'm surprised it even works there.
I think what you're looking for is AURA: 5. In this example I think you want "AURA: 5 friend; Otyugh Stench; ATK: -2".

P.S. Still don't know what the IF: FACTION does.IF: FACTION(foe) means the part of the effect after that will be ignored for anyone who isn't marked in red on the combat tracker.
IF: FACTION(friend) means the part of the effect after that will be ignored for anyone who isn't marked in green on the combat tracker.
IF: FACTION(faction) means the part of the effect after that will be ignored for anyone who isn't marked in yellow on the combat tracker.
IF: FACTION(neutral) means the part of the effect after that will be ignored for anyone who isn't marked in white on the combat tracker.

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 20:08
In 4e if its AURA: 5 then it goes out 5 Squares. I did try AURA: 2 and it worked so I imagine it might need to be AURA: 10 for other rulesets.

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 20:36
Let me break down the Effect code and how its working (or not) in 4e. Is this working differently in Pathfinder?

Aura Effect is applied to the Large NPC creature in Red.
ATK: 2; AURA: 2 foe; IF: FACTION(neutral); Otyugh Stench; ATK: -2

"ATK: 2" I have to add this so the "ATK: -2" is not applied to the Red NPC giving the Aura.
"AURA: 2 foe" This causes the effect to be applied to the PC's (shown as the red down arrow on its token). If I put "AURA: 2 friend" the Aura effect will be applied to the other hostile NPC's.
The IF: FACTION(neutral) or any other faction does nothing. The Neutral yellow highlight creature is still getting the ATK: -2 shown with the red down arrow.

https://i.imgur.com/srtxtyS.png

So in all the test iterations the "IF: FACTION(foe), IF: FACTION(friend), IF: FACTION(faction), IF: FACTION(neutral) has no affect on anything.

bmos
April 8th, 2021, 21:41
Regarding the range issue you're seeing, try re-downloading v0.5. I just pushed a hotfix that should address that.

I have not done much testing with IF: FACTION, so you'll have to wait for an answer there.

kevininrussia
April 8th, 2021, 22:12
Regarding the range issue you're seeing, try re-downloading v0.5. I just pushed a hotfix that should address that.

It fixed it! Thanks!

lokiare
April 9th, 2021, 18:14

I have not done much testing with IF: FACTION, so you'll have to wait for an answer there.

Where is the extension posted? The one in the OP is still version 0.4.

bmos
April 9th, 2021, 18:19
Where is the extension posted? The one in the OP is still version 0.4.https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects&p=592655&viewfull=1#post592655
I'm not the OP so I can't update the first post. I'd recommend reading the thread for updates and checking my github page periodically if you are interested in builds that I put together.

kevininrussia
April 9th, 2021, 18:53
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects&p=592655&viewfull=1#post592655
I'm not the OP so I can't update the first post. I'd recommend reading the thread for updates and checking my github page periodically if you are interested in builds that I put together.

If it's possible with Unity's token ownership rights, it would be great if Aura Effects would work with token lock off (apply effect when Players move token).

GKEnialb
April 9th, 2021, 22:56
Thanks for the update! I can confirm that the "effect already exists" messages are gone (along with adding the effect multiple times), but I still get a bunch of "Unable to find effect to remove" in the DM's chat when a player with an aura moves towards the targets and the DM accepts it (moving from outside the range to several squares inside the range).

The aura I'm using for that test is:

AURA: 20 foe; Storm Sphere; IF: FACTION(all); SAVEO: Strength DC 17 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 2d6 bludgeoning (C)

bmos
April 9th, 2021, 23:37
I don't know anything about FGU's token system so fixing that stuff might take me a bit. I've noted it in my issue tracker and will post a new build when I have made enough progress.
I'm also hoping to make it add resulting effects as soon as the effect is added (without requiring the token to be moved or the window to be closed and re-opened).

bmos
April 10th, 2021, 20:10
Aura Effect (https://github.com/bmos/FG-Aura-Effect) v0.6 (https://github.com/bmos/FG-Aura-Effect/releases/tag/v0.6)
* adding an AURA effect will now add FROMAURA effects based on current token positions
* fix FROMAURA effects not being removed when 'parent' AURA effects is removed
* code cleanup and use of more local functions

for future builds from me, watch the thread in my signature

Spectral Force
April 11th, 2021, 21:55
Does this also work with FGU? I did not read through the 20 some pages of posts.

bmos
April 11th, 2021, 22:04
Does this also work with FGU? I did not read through the 20 some pages of posts.FGU only (at least for my builds).
I have updated my README to include this information :)

Spectral Force
April 11th, 2021, 22:17
FGU only (at least for my builds).

Thanks!