PDA

View Full Version : Players Making Saving Throws 2: Electric Boogaloo

Hobo Box
May 4th, 2020, 18:38
Hey, all.

I'm new to the forums here, and as of yet haven't bought into an FG license. I just wanted to ask a question about the functionality of the program compared to a few years prior.

Three years ago Matt Colville posted a thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37686-Players-Making-Saving-Throws) asking about the ability for players to roll their own saving throws within the automation of the system. Unfortunately, he came away disappointed, to put it lightly.

I have to admit, I share his incredulousness. Why was this not a feature from the word "go", as this is how the game is played on tabletop? It doesn't seem like it would be partocularly difficult to implement, either (mind you, my programming experience is meager.)

Personally I want my players to have as much agency as possible when it comes to their characters' dice, so if I can avoid taking their saving throws (fairly important dice, imo) away completely, I'd definitely prefer that option.

The purpose of this thread, I suppose, is to inquire if progress has been made over the last 3 years, whether it be baked-in or through some other work-around, that allows my players to roll their own saving throws and have the result still be automated.

Paperclipkiller
May 4th, 2020, 19:01
What exactly do you mean by automated? You can have them click their Saving Throws and it will show the result with all the modifiers. Then just target the ones who failed. There isn't really any automation for having the players roll their Saving Throws. It does become a hassle for anything with half damage. I think a fantastic workaround that could be made eventually is an extension that shows the total damage and the half damage in the chat window. That would make stuff like that easier. Sadly I don't have any coding experience.

Hobo Box
May 4th, 2020, 19:12
What exactly do you mean by automated? You can have them click their Saving Throws and it will show the result with all the modifiers. Then just target the ones who failed. There isn't really any automation for having the players roll their Saving Throws. It does become a hassle for anything with half damage. I think a fantastic workaround that could be made eventually is an extension that shows the total damage and the half damage in the chat window. That would make stuff like that easier. Sadly I don't have any coding experience.

Well as I understand it the way it currently is, you can select all of the relevant targets, then hit them with the spell - the program will automatically roll all saving throws, designate successes and failures, and then apply damage or half-damage accordingly.
I would like to know if it's possible to have the same process occur, but it prompts the players for a roll instead of doing it automatically - like I said, I'm shocked this wasn't implemented far, far earlier, if at all.

Zacchaeus
May 4th, 2020, 19:16
You can use this extension - I think - it does what you are looking for. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

Otherwise as PCK says you don't need to use the automation. You can have the players roll their own saving throws; work out who passed and failed. Roll the damage in chat drag the full damage to those who failed and then half it and drag that to those that passed.

Hobo Box
May 4th, 2020, 19:27
You can use this extension - I think - it does what you are looking for. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

Otherwise as PCK says you don't need to use the automation. You can have the players roll their own saving throws; work out who passed and failed. Roll the damage in chat drag the full damage to those who failed and then half it and drag that to those that passed.

Niiiice. Glad to see someone stepped up.

And yeah, I know the automation is optional, but if I could avoid the monotony I'd like to, y'know? If there was no other option that's probably what I'd resort to.

In any case, thanks for the info, if and when I pick up the license I'll definitely check that extension out.

Mysteria_Sdrassa
May 6th, 2020, 20:15
personally i find it a blessing having the auto saves role... saves me the time and effort of trying to keep track of who rolled what and who saved/didn't save etc.. running an online game is complex enough and way different than running a table game.. but everybody is entitled to whatever they like so... yeah :)