PDA

View Full Version : Creating encounters that include "non" monsters

Taj Calvin
May 4th, 2020, 05:18
So I'm running Keep on the Borderlands in Unity. Converting everything over to 5e which is pretty easy with the FGU setup as I just have to make sure that the monsters aren't significantly more or less powerful than in the original D&D. I did that by going through the whole module and annotating it with Monster Manual pages for each encounter, checking the monsters as I went.

I also scanned in a copy of the map and am slowly revealing it as the party explores (next step figure out how to do that layers thing and do a map of the valley layered on top so that I can also show them the parts of the valley that they have explored.

Where I am having trouble is in setting up the encounters. Most of them are pretty straightforward and I just pull the monsters from the NPC listings as I have a bunch of the books available to me. A few however, generally ones that have "slave pens", include human, dwarven, or elven slaves. Since they aren't monsters they don't seem to show up in the NPC listings. I found "guard" and used that for a human slave, but another pen has a barbarian. I found dwarf so that was easy but there was no listing anywhere for elf. Any idea where I could get basic three-race, non-monsters to add to the encounters as I build them? I really don't want to have to create generic characters for each of these and import them in unless I have to.

Thanks for your help.

Fear Grounds
May 4th, 2020, 06:18
I would look for commoners. There are quite a few of them out there, and they generally vary in race. Look at any adventures around cities,kingdoms, or large towns

esmdev
May 4th, 2020, 06:26
To be honest, when there are non-combatants that can be one shot by either side (such as prisoners or slaves) I just put tokens directly onto the map and skip the combat tracker. To many random extras in the combat tracker slow things down. I make their actions at the pause point between rounds beginning between round 1 and 2 and the actions are generally limited to fleeing or following directions. It represents where they are and how many without extra overhead.

I use similar methods for extras in bar scenes, people walking down a street, or any other situation where a large number of randoms are in proximity of the PCs and antagonists. In they event they get hit by something it's easy to just delete them off the map.