PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Campaign with Multiple DMs

Hecklerus Prime
May 4th, 2020, 03:11
My group is looking to form a West Marches style campaign. We are aiming to upgrade from Classic to Unity at the same time, so we'll have both versions available. This leads to two questions:

1) Is there an easy way for multiple DMs to share content between each other in either version? Exporting to modules comes to mind, but inevitably we will run into issues with multiple sessions running simultaneously. They'll both export unique modules and that will create problems with merging and file overwriting. For example, if we have a Note named "Session Notes" and both DMs edit it, merging the module folders will cause one of those to be lost. We'd rather avoid that. Our current idea is to export the modules as different names and have one DM manually merge them in FG, but that quickly becomes a time consuming bad idea.

2) Assuming the answer to the above is no, will FGU be able to create or support such functionality in the future? Something like a shared module that can be simultaneously edited by multiple DMs?

Given the issues presented above, one user has suggested we use Google Docs or something, but it'd be so much cleaner to keep the notes in FG. That's what it's built for, after all, and it makes note keeping so easy. We're just looking for a way to have our cake and eat it, too.

Fear Grounds
May 4th, 2020, 06:10
Fantasy Grounds does not support multiple DMs running the same campaign, especially at the same time. Multiple sources of editing, on the same campaign folder, is quickly going to cause file corruption and potentially data loss.

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2020, 06:45
I don't think sharing modules as your campaign tracking is going to be ideal. Since you can not edit the module outside of the XML. Instead you are probably going to want to share campaign folders. Though how you might handle two simultaneous sessions I think is going to require manual updating/rectifying/merging.

FGU has not capabilities in this area different than FGC. What the future holds no one can say, but changes to facilitate this would require fundamental architectural changes to the way FG works. So I would say such changes are very unlikely.