PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Maps - Size restrictions? # of Combatants?

JoeTrow
May 3rd, 2020, 20:37
I am trying to set up an encounter - an attack on a fort held by Orc's - Approximately 50 to 60 Orcs inhabit the fort and the image file I am using is 70x75 squares (inches") and I keep locking up after about 25 npc's being placed on the map.

Is there a limit on this? or is this an issue based on my computer specs or connection speeds?

LordEntrails
May 3rd, 2020, 21:14
We don't know yet. But the number of combatants is only important if you are using LOS.

The recommendations on FGC is maps of 2000 x 2000 pixels (@ 50 pixels /5 ft > 40 x 40 squares).

There have been a few reports of maps of 2-3 MB in file size causing problems, but we don't have details on that. Number of pixels is generally more important than file size.

So, how many pixels does your image have? Is it an image you brought in or did you build it from within FGU? What assets did you use to build it with? Are you using LOS?

One other practice I typically do is not to add everyone to the map and CT until the party actually is about to fight them. Use pins/links to the story or encounter object and you can move those pins as needed and then add to the CT when they are in combat etc with the party.

JoeTrow
May 3rd, 2020, 23:57
I did have Line of Site set up - but I was not adding from the combat tracker - did not even have that opened, perhaps that is where I messed up - I have been having issues adding characters and NPC's from the combat tracker. It looks like it was working but no token was placed.

The size of the Map - I know its 100pixels x 100pixels - I created it in DPS (Dungeon Painter Studio) it is a representation of the Goblin Village Map from southcrypt - so I guess that makes it 7000 Pixels x 7500 Pixels - I will pull the map up and reduce its resolution and see how that does.

I had line of site set up because I do not want the PC's to see into the fort until they breach the walls or fly over them

Bizmal
May 4th, 2020, 00:08
I've had an encounter in which I had 55 tokens on the battle map. Maybe the lock-up is that you're not giving it enough time to load the encounter.

avitale34
May 4th, 2020, 04:32
I've had an encounter in which I had 55 tokens on the battle map. Maybe the lock-up is that you're not giving it enough time to load the encounter.

Was this FGC or FGU? Tried to load a large encounter today on FGU and a had to sit there for 5-7 minutes while it loaded in.