PDA

View Full Version : Looking for answers

Onegrayson
March 15th, 2007, 22:59
I am looking to purchase this product and have some questions, answers I could not find in the FAQ section.

The Demo version says that it can "support" two individuals, how can I get someone to "log into" my demo version so we can play with this software?

Do you import you own artwork for maps, if I have Campaign Cartographer 3, can I use those maps I have made?

In the Demo version I am uable to create a character, does Fantasy Grounds allow you to actually make a say for example 5th level fighter or whatever character and does it use 3.5 D&D rules?

Do you have to schedule game sessions or can a bunch of us just decide to start gaming on a whim?

If I purchase a full and four lites in order to get the discount, am I able to give individual download keys to individual people?

Thank you for your attention, I really like to look of this software and am hoping to purchase.

Malovech
March 16th, 2007, 00:44
The Demo version says that it can "support" two individuals, how can I get someone to "log into" my demo version so we can play with this software?

Have a friend download the demo version as well, then give your friend your external IP address and have them put that in when trying to connect. You will need to forward port 1802 on any routers/firewalls you have in place.

Do you import you own artwork for maps, if I have Campaign Cartographer 3, can I use those maps I have made?

Yes, just export your maps as JPG, GIF or PNG and then place the art in your campaigns\campaignname\images folder. I believe this is only available in the full version.

In the Demo version I am uable to create a character, does Fantasy Grounds allow you to actually make a say for example 5th level fighter or whatever character and does it use 3.5 D&D rules?

Actually you can create characters with the demo. Just click on the icon in the top right that looks like three people. Enter a name and then double click the entry. You can then start filling in the character sheet.

Do you have to schedule game sessions or can a bunch of us just decide to start gaming on a whim?

There is a game calendar/schedule as part of this community, but you can just call up a bunch of friends and get them to connect. They all must have at least the lite version of the program, however.

If I purchase a full and four lites in order to get the discount, am I able to give individual download keys to individual people?

You can give them the key and the download link, but the licenses are not "hot-swappable". The person who gets that license can only install it on a single computer and it becomes theirs. It is not like other VTs (ie KloogeWerks) where you can have floating licenses that you can lease out to whomever you like.

Griogre
March 16th, 2007, 03:58

Bear in mind in the Demo you can't save anything so I wouldn't input some complicated character.

For you just messing around you can run two instances of the demo on one machine to see the differences between the host and client. You shouldn't have to do any network configuration if you do that.

Also, there is no upgrade from a lite version of the software to a full version. If you think someone else is going to run you might want to get more than one full version.

Finally, I strongly recommend you make sure you can connect to your friends with the demo. If you can't connect with the demo you won't be able to connect with the full version.

heruca
March 16th, 2007, 04:24
A good way to try out Fantasy Grounds might be to take part in an FG game at iCon (www.iconvention.org) on March 24 or 25.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure if SmiteWorks is offering any kind of free demo client for use during iCon. Does anyone know?

Onegrayson
March 16th, 2007, 04:26
Hmmm, we tried using my IP address and we were not able to connect. We both downloaded the Demo version. How do we set up that 1802 port thing? We both have wireless connections and Firewalls.

Griogre
March 16th, 2007, 06:15
First you have to open port 1802 on your firewall(s). It is likely your cable or DSL modem (if you connect that way) and router both have firewalls. Your computer may have another one.

Once 1802 is open you need to port forward it to the interal ip of the computer that is hosting.

If you give a more detail idea of your setup someone is more likely to help you. IE how do you connect to the Internet? What is the make and model of the box that connects you to the internet? What is the make and model of router? Do you have any switches or anything else between your computer and the router? What OS are you using and do you have a software firewall on your computer? How are your internal IP's allocated and is the internal IP of your computer static? Have you scaned port 1802 while you are running the demo and what was the result?

If you don't understand any of the questions - just ask and someone will be able to help you.

Onegrayson
March 16th, 2007, 23:12
OKay I will give you what I can.

I connect wirelessly via a Lynksis router Model SRX 200. I have Windows XP and use the Windows Firewall provided software. I am unaware if this is a static connection or not but when I went to what is my IP address. com it gave me a number.

Onegrayson
March 16th, 2007, 23:13
OKay I will give you what I can.

I connect wirelessly via a Lynksis router Model SRX 200. I have Windows XP and use the Windows Firewall provided software. I am unaware if this is a static connection or not but when I went to what is my IP address. com it gave me a number.

Thanks in advance.

Sigurd
March 16th, 2007, 23:24
My experience is that Windows Firewall is a terrible piece of software. It doesn't always exempt what it says it exempts and the businesses I've seen dont use it.

Your mileage may vary but consider dropping the firewall during your test and (long term) replacing it with something else.

Have you read the networking faq?

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=fantasy_grounds_faq#faq_networking

Ged
March 16th, 2007, 23:26
Hi,

Does your router have some other code too? - the SRX 200 is not necessarily the manufacturer part number but might refer to speed and range expansion technology built in your router.

Onegrayson
March 27th, 2007, 22:01
Still not able to get to get friends to the demo, I did find my router in the link and tried to follow those procedures. My computer informs me that all ports are open. I do notice that when I open the demo, there is an IP address already in the window that cannot be altered, after visiting the "what is my IP address" website that number given is not what is in the window - could this be my non-connection problem? Am I able to change this address - I do not believe it is allowing me to do so.

Thanks.

Malovech
March 28th, 2007, 01:29
Still not able to get to get friends to the demo, I did find my router in the link and tried to follow those procedures. My computer informs me that all ports are open. I do notice that when I open the demo, there is an IP address already in the window that cannot be altered, after visiting the "what is my IP address" website that number given is not what is in the window - could this be my non-connection problem? Am I able to change this address - I do not believe it is allowing me to do so.

Thanks.

The address the program is reading out is your internal IP which your router sends to you. Unless the other players were on your network behind the router there is no way they could connect with that IP. The external IP is the one they need to connect. There is the possibility that your modem (cable or dsl) also has a firewall which you may need to port forward as well.

Onegrayson
March 28th, 2007, 02:59
Boy that is all Greek to me, I do not understand any of it. This is not a very easy software product to configure, I see how very usuable it would be to my group, but I am having severe reservations on purchasing it becuase this Demo is proving so difficult to decipher. Any help out there?

Thanks.

joshuha
March 28th, 2007, 03:17
Well this kinda of port sharing issue is one you'll encounter on any software where your PC acts like a server. You see it on Bittorrent, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, FG, etc. and is due to all the security in place nowadays to prevent you from doing so. This is both a good and bad thing and the only alternative is to have servers maintained by Smiteworks but that wouldn't be free and also would be completely out of our hands if they are down, Smiteworks folds, etc.

The first step is to tell us how you connect to the internet. Is it directly from the wall, from the wall to a router to your PC, wirelessly, etc.? Model numbers can help us point you to the right configuration screen to open up the right port. That covers the hardware side.

Software wise, Windows firewall/Zonealarm and any of the "suite" products by anti-virus makers can also potentially block the needed port as well. Let us know if you have any of these as well.

Like I said, not really a fault of Smiteworks as you see this issue with any server/client based software.

Malovech
March 28th, 2007, 04:41
Boy that is all Greek to me, I do not understand any of it. This is not a very easy software product to configure, I see how very usuable it would be to my group, but I am having severe reservations on purchasing it becuase this Demo is proving so difficult to decipher. Any help out there?

Thanks.

Your best bet is to do some reading on the subject. Your router probably came with a manual, and Linksys probably has a knowledgebase that you can utilize. 10 years ago I didn't know anything about this stuff either, but I just looked around the internet, messed around with stuff until I learned. Really it's actually pretty simple (a hell of a lot simpler than programming some VCRs).

Here is a basic diagram to help you possibly visualize things better:

https://www.malovech.com/typical_network_setup.gif

Griogre
March 28th, 2007, 05:49
Nice diagram, Maloveck. I do disagree with the Your Computer having a software firewall being unneccessary. Over time most hardware firewalls end up looking like swiss cheese with tons of ports open.

A software firewall that works by program helps protect you from all those "open" holes in your hardware firewall when the program they are open for is not in use.

Onegrayson
March 28th, 2007, 05:53
Yes, I looked up my Lynksys wireless router provided by your links and thought I performed the necessary steps to allow the port to open, but again we were still unable to connect. I will try again, I did get my VCR to record and managed to set the time - so I will bite down and rub my temples and see if I can make some progress. I've never utilized any share programs prior to this and so my experiences have been limited. Will try again!

Thanks for the quick feedback, hoping to become a happy consumer.

Griogre
March 28th, 2007, 06:32

Just so you know Onegrayson, once you get the demo to work the full version will work using the same settings. Also only the DM has to do this, players usually have to do nothing to connect once the host is setup correctly. Unfortunately, the GM *must* correctly configure his system, this is true of almost all Virtual Tabletops and most voice and game servers.

Servers are security risks so almost every piece of your security software/hardware on your computer and between you and the Internet will automatically block them by default. Security software and hardware are like a group of children, they need to be delt with firmly but gently and each piece (child) needs attention otherwise they will pitch a tantrum and cause the connnection to fail. ;)

That's why all the work to get a server to work, especially the first time. Typically once you get the first piece of software to work the first time it becomes easier and easier to do others in the future because you do the same steps over and over again.

For you, you need to start from the beginning. First as others have noted, you need to have your friends on the Internet connect to the IP address that whatsmyip says is your IP address. This is your external IP and the address that others on the Internet need to connect. Should you have anyone on your home network (connected to the same router) who wish to connect to your server they would use your *internal* address which is the one shown by FG.

Before any of your friends can connect you are going to have to configue your "modem" or the piece of hardware than connects your router to the internet. Next you are going to configure your router and third you will need to configure your computer. The goal is to: 1) tell all your security software and hardware that is OK to allow connections on port 1802 and 2) that when you do get a connection request on port 1802 you are to rout that request to Onegrayson's computer so it can handle it.

Your first set on this journey is to turn you attention to that box that connects you to the internet. This box probably has a firewall in it. It would be helpful to the people helping you if we knew whether this is a cable or DSL modem (or someother setup) and what the model number is on this so we could figure out how to command it to open the port and forward it on the next piece of equipment towards your computer.

Cantstanzya
March 28th, 2007, 23:12
Boy that is all Greek to me, I do not understand any of it. This is not a very easy software product to configure.It is not the software that is difficult to configure, it is all of the security you have to bypass, even if you don't know you have it. All you have to do is open/forward port 1802. If you can do that FG will work. There are many people that try to put the blame on Smite Works when it is just the users lack of understanding. Fortunately the people in the community will help you get everything straightened out.
I have used many analogies but this is probably the best one yet:
You have invited a group of friends over to play some D&D and your door is locked. If you don't unlock the door they can't get in and play. Fortunately you know how to unlock the door and you let them in and you can play. But if you didn't know how to unlock the door you would have to learn how before you can let them in. Now, is it your fault? Is it the doors fault for being there? Is it the locks fault. What if there is more than one door and more than one lock. You know whos fault it is? It's the damn hackers that are out there, or in this case thieves, that cause you do have to lock your door and secure you internet connection. With that said, once you know how to open/forward port 1802 you'll know how do it and it won't be a problem.
I have a linksys router and I can probably help you out if you'd like. PM me and we'll setup a time.

Onegrayson
April 10th, 2007, 01:28
A big hearty thanks to Cantstanzya! He took time to help me configure my router on evening last week and that is all it took. I have purchased the software and hope to enjoy it in the near future. It was very easy once I knew what was required and the product looks great.

Hoping to be a long time user, thanks to all for your quick responses and attention.

Stuart
April 13th, 2007, 10:25
I notice that "the usual suspects" have leapt to your aid :)