PDA

View Full Version : Not loading my campaign

wshenrygreen
May 2nd, 2020, 18:08
I recently installed FGU onto my new laptop. My data file is kept on my OneDrive. When I try and connect to my campaign I get the following error:
[5/2/2020 12:57:26 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-28)
[5/2/2020 12:57:26 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[5/2/2020 12:57:27 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Owned Campaign List XML: Error loading XML file (C:/Users/Owner/OneDrive/Dungeons and Dragons/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/5E Sample Campaign) (campaign.xml): Missing root node
Anyone have any idea how I get this working before 2pm EST? I am DM'ing a campaign then. Thanks for your help. -- Wayne

superteddy57
May 3rd, 2020, 02:16
Moved to the Unity forum for better visibility. I believe the issue is that you have stored your files on the One Drive. Shared folders tend to play havoc with the system and can create corrupted campaigns. My suggestion is to move it to a local drive.

wshenrygreen
May 3rd, 2020, 10:57
Moved to the Unity forum for better visibility. I believe the issue is that you have stored your files on the One Drive. Shared folders tend to play havoc with the system and can create corrupted campaigns. My suggestion is to move it to a local drive.

I uninstalled FGU, deleted all program files on both my share and local drives, reinstalled FGU, updated, placed my campaign files into the campaign folder (on my share drive), and it loaded. Not to say the share drive will not cause havoc going forward, but for now it worked.

I suspect there is another file set elsewhere on my local drive belonging to FGU that I’m not aware of. I noticed that by uninstalling and reinstalling, it remembered my file preferences and I didn’t have to point it to my share drive location. Due to that, it was the fact that I changed physical computers that caused the issue.

Thank you, superteddy57, for your assistance. I’m very new to online RPG’ing. FG seemed the best option after several hours of YouTube research. FGU seemed the best investment, even if still in BETA at this point of entry. I knew it might be buggy, because of this, but I saw a lot of support through community and staff behind it, so no fears there. superteddy57, you proved that right. Thanks again.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2020, 11:06
Many, many people who have stored their FG data on an active sync solution (like OneDrive) have reported data corruption. The error you report in your first post is one, but not the only, example of this. You’re lucky it was just the simple campaign.xml file that was affected. Next time it might be your whole campaign data that is impacted. It is STRONGLY recommended that you don’t store your FG data files on an active sync/backup solution.

wshenrygreen
May 3rd, 2020, 13:40
Many, many people who have stored their FG data on an active sync solution (like OneDrive) have reported data corruption. The error you report in your first post is one, but not the only, example of this. You’re lucky it was just the simple campaign.xml file that was affected. Next time it might be your whole campaign data that is impacted. It is STRONGLY recommended that you don’t store your FG data files on an active sync/backup solution.

Thank you, Trenloe. I’ll change my data file location to a local drive.

Korvaak
June 15th, 2022, 18:49
Hi, I have no idea where my FG is stored or how to store it somewhere else can you please help ?

and I just lost my campaign.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2022, 19:01
Hi, I have no idea where my FG is stored or how to store it somewhere else can you please help ?

and I just lost my campaign.
See my reply to your thread posted earlier: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?74095-My-Campaign-on-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-disappeared-help

Korvaak
June 15th, 2022, 20:26
Thank you.