PDA

View Full Version : Saving / Exporting Chat History

anstett
May 2nd, 2020, 17:20
I combed through the user guide and experimented with using chat and there are some nice features but I have a concern.

I think that the chat is saved for each time you bring up the campaign to display what was there the last session?

However I cannot find where the command is to save or export the chat log.

Does it save with all the HTML tags? It would be nice to have the various languages already coded so I can use the wiki functions to auto format.

I have been running a VTT since 2003 and we have all the chat logs from all the games played saved on our site:
https://dragonslayers-society.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.WeeklyChatHistory

How do I take the chat log and export it so that I can add that file to my site?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2020, 17:30
The chat log is saved in a file called chatlog.html within each campaign.

anstett
May 2nd, 2020, 17:31
Thank you for the very quick reply.

anstett
May 3rd, 2020, 23:13
Following up on this with a question on saving and formatting.

The chat logs append each time we open up the campaign I found out. But the previous chat does not show in the chat window when you open the campaign.

Is there a setting to have it save each chat as a separate file based on the last time the program was opened?

I leave my game up 24/7 for players to log into and make comments etc.

Also the HTML saves with closing each line with a "<br />" rather than what I expected with the "</p>" tag. Is that a design choice? ADA screen readers tend to like the close paragraph tag rather than the carriage return tag.

Thanks

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2020, 07:05
There are no options around the campaign log. You could pretty easily write a batch command for launching FG that copies and renames the chatlog before starting FG each time so that you would have session specific logs.

As for the </br> vs <p>, that's probably a decision from long ago that the cause may be lost in the mists of long lost develoeprs. I don't know :) (and no I'm not a dev!)