PDA

View Full Version : Side by side: Classic/Unity

taoistpunk
May 2nd, 2020, 14:54
I’m sure others have asked, but can you run them (classic/unity) in tandem? Considering a subscription to Unity for a bit to see if it’s advantages outweigh classic, since I already have a license since forever

Thanks.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2020, 15:09
If by in tandem you mean can I have both of them installed on the same computer, then yes. But you can't connect a FGC player to a FGU GM and vice versa.

taoistpunk
May 3rd, 2020, 14:58
If by in tandem you mean can I have both of them installed on the same computer, then yes. But you can't connect a FGC player to a FGU GM and vice versa.

Got it. So everyone will need to download FGU to join my FGU game, which means a separate install for all my current FGU players

Thx

AtochaGold
July 17th, 2020, 01:04
Any specific steps or details to know about before installing both versions on same laptop (Win10 in my case)? I am brand new to FG and just purchased FGU Standard One-Time Pricing. I really want to participate on some of the FG College scheduled events for learning FG, but just about all the offerings are still just for FG 'Classic'. Was wondering if I could also now download and install FG Classic 'Demo' version so that I can at least sign up for and participate on some of the cool FG College online teaching events (noting of course to be sure to check whether the scheduled event/training allows Demo version or requires Standard or above). I know there will be big differences between Classic and Unity, but Im sure there is still value, entertainment, and just a lot that could be learned in general by participating on a Classics training on FG College (not to mention potential to want to join a future FGC campaign/adventure as just a Player).

Thanks
Jim

Moon Wizard
July 17th, 2020, 01:12
The main thing is to accept the default installation directories. They are different directories for a reason; and the data formats are not compatible.

Regards,
JPG

Granamere
July 17th, 2020, 01:30
Also if you were going to run them both at the same time and have people connect into you then you would need to run them on different ports. Unity in the launcher has an easy way to change out the port it is using. FGC 1802 switch unity to 1805 or something like that. Make sure you port forward it in your firewall if the test fails.

FGC Demo will allow you to connect to anyone running FGC that has Standard or Ultimate version. AKA if you buy Ultimate then everyone can connect to you with a demo version. Standard then only others with standard or ultimate can connect to you.

FGU will do the same thing. You can connect to other FGU users.