PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Map and FGU

DM Highlander
May 2nd, 2020, 13:32
Will there be support for dynamic mapping (ie little looped mp4 video files) for F2F games? I really like FGU so far and this addition would be awesome. In addition, is there more support for F2F games? I hope I can better organize my gameplay and not have two machines running (DM and player to a TV).

TheDarkMantle
May 2nd, 2020, 14:06
I think you mean the map effects? This is built in, for making maps have rain, fog or other effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48W68MMQtc

DM Highlander
May 2nd, 2020, 14:07
Those effects are pretty basic so far (I am sure they will be updated). I mean using a looped mp4 video to have dynamic maps.

LordEntrails
May 3rd, 2020, 18:14
mp4 not now. In the future it is unknown. I think the devs are more interested in increasing the native capabilities of FGU than importing mp4 or other video file formats that will wreck havoc on customer support and performance. But that's my observation and may not be correct.

As for local play, all you have to do is start a second instance on your GM computer and connect to your own game and display that player instance on your second screen. What other support for local play are you looking for?

DM Highlander
May 3rd, 2020, 22:05
mp4 not now. In the future it is unknown. I think the devs are more interested in increasing the native capabilities of FGU than importing mp4 or other video file formats that will wreck havoc on customer support and performance. But that's my observation and may not be correct.

As for local play, all you have to do is start a second instance on your GM computer and connect to your own game and display that player instance on your second screen. What other support for local play are you looking for?

Everytime I try a second instance it fails to load it, forcing me to use another account and another laptop. I have tried a few times to run two instances on the same machine and sadly it doesn't want to work.

SirMotte
May 3rd, 2020, 23:37
Everytime I try a second instance it fails to load it, forcing me to use another account and another laptop. I have tried a few times to run two instances on the same machine and sadly it doesn't want to work.

This only works with Standard or Ultimate licence. You need to connect to "localhost". If those prerequisites are met and the issue still occurs, we need to investigate this further.

As for your wish of using video files. I would absolutely love this! Running Dynamic Dungeons Files with the FGU Features would be a dream come true.

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2020, 07:01
Are you running a Cloud game or LAN game? Try a LAN game and use an IP address of localhost. Let us know if that works.

I can host a Public Cloud game and then join my own game via the lobby, but that is because I have allowed such traffic on my router. You're router and other security software may not allow that.

DM Highlander
May 5th, 2020, 02:45
Are you running a Cloud game or LAN game? Try a LAN game and use an IP address of localhost. Let us know if that works.

I can host a Public Cloud game and then join my own game via the lobby, but that is because I have allowed such traffic on my router. You're router and other security software may not allow that.

I had issues before with FG on Steam. However finally got around to messing with FGU and it worked!! And it worked great! Now, just gotta wait for the stay-at-home to be lifted for face to face sessions...

pollux
May 6th, 2020, 16:27
Those effects are pretty basic so far (I am sure they will be updated). I mean using a looped mp4 video to have dynamic maps.

When you layer them, the map effects get a lot less basic: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57105-LOS-Idea

Map effects are not just one global thing on top of the map. You can have multiple different effects layers, masked to overlap or to act in different areas of the map. They're not as professional as a "real" animator working with $10k worth of 3d animation software and library assets... but on the plus side YOU as a DM can easily add them into and existing maps/images to add some cool motion. Buying an animated character portrait is probably 5-10x more expensive than a flat 2d portrait... but you could easily ask to get your 2d portrait with a separate character layer and background layer... then use FGU effects to easily add rolling fog behind your character image.

Video layers would also be cool, and I expect they'll happen at some point. But effects layers are more flexible and a hundred times easier to add into your own existing 2d images, and you can achieve some reasonably cool results with them.