PDA

View Full Version : Death Saving Throw Adjustments

Shireling
May 2nd, 2020, 12:18
I am creating a new custom dragonmark elf subrace for a player that I DM for which revolves around necromancy. I am calling it the Mark of the Dying. I was able to successfully create a list of Spells of the Mark, the ASI adjustment, basic elf traits, but when it came to subrace traits I wanted to include the following:

Taste of Death (necrotic damage resistance)
Hands of the Reaper (typical cantrip at 1st level and 2nd level spell at 3rd level but with necromancy themes)
Warden of the Grave (d4 added to Medicine checks and death saving throws)

The first two I was able to do just fine without any issues as well as adding a d4 to the Medicine skill check. I am running into problems when it comes to adjusting death saving throws. I didn't want to give the player advantage or disadvantage. I wanted to keep with the theme of death as well as the pattern of adding a d4 to checks consistent with dragonmarks. So again the question is... CAN YOU ADD A DIE ROLL IN A SPELL EFFECT THAT WOULD BOOST DEATH SAVING THROWS SIMILAR TO SKILL CHECKS? Or is this just a manual roll I would need to call out for the player if the situation arises?

Zacchaeus
May 2nd, 2020, 12:22
Use SAVE: 1d4, death

Shireling
May 2nd, 2020, 12:30
Perfect! Thank you!