PDA

View Full Version : Updater: Unable to locate program

RichterVonStreed
April 30th, 2020, 23:04
Whenever i click on settings or check for updates all I get is an error message...

[4/30/2020 5:49:11 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-28)
[4/30/2020 5:49:11 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[4/30/2020 5:49:18 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/WINDOWS/system32/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)
[4/30/2020 5:49:22 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/WINDOWS/system32/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

I tried searching the forum but the results I found relating to the updater were different issues.

Anyone know what I should do to fix this?

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2020, 08:10
This usually means that the installer did not complete correctly. Can you please download the latest installer, and run again?

Thanks,
JPG

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 09:20
Thank you for the speedy reply. I tried reinstalling it 5 times yesterday but tried again one more time per your suggestion. Installed and ran seemingly fine just like before. Closed it and reopened it then clicked on settings again and got the same error. Clicked on check for updates, same error.

[5/1/2020 4:15:48 AM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-28)
[5/1/2020 4:15:48 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[5/1/2020 4:15:53 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/WINDOWS/system32/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)
[5/1/2020 4:20:19 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/WINDOWS/system32/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 10:17
Please provide a screenshot of the advanced tab of the FG settings window.

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 10:21
Please provide a screenshot of the advanced tab of the FG settings window.

The setting button on the bottom left? Like I said, when I click it this error message pops up. Nothing else.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 10:25
It seems like the app directory location isn’t valid.

When you run the installer what is the application (app) directory?

This is where the FG application and updater should be installed. Check in that directory and run the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe file from there manually. Then check the settings and make sure they are pointing to the correct app directory.

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 10:27
OK. Reinstalled it and I was able to see the settings during install. Here they are.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 10:39
Thanks for posting the screenshot.

Does C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds exist? Can you access it and what files are in there?

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 10:40
It seems like the app directory location isn’t valid.

When you run the installer what is the application (app) directory?

This is where the FG application and updater should be installed. Check in that directory and run the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe file from there manually. Then check the settings and make sure they are pointing to the correct app directory.

It looks like it is in the right location to me. Manually running the updater works, but as soon as I close the FG and reopen it I get the same error again.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 10:45
Weird. The updater's been changed recently and might be related to that. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56821-Incoming-Updater-Permissions-Changes

The settings are stored in the Windows registry. And the FG app should be using them to access the updater location. I'm unsure why it's getting that location as C:/WINDOWS/system32

I don't know if you're comfortable using Window registry editor. If you are, could you check the AppDir value here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SmiteWorks\Fa ntasy Grounds

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 10:50
Weird. The updater's been changed recently and might be related to that. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56821-Incoming-Updater-Permissions-Changes

The settings are stored in the Windows registry. And the FG app should be using them to access the updater location. I'm unsure why it's getting that location as C:/WINDOWS/system32

I don't know if you're comfortable using Window registry editor. If you are, could you check the AppDir value here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SmiteWorks\Fa ntasy Grounds

Here is the entry.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 10:56
Very strange.

One final thing. Please try running Fantasy Grounds as Administrator, just as a test to see if that work.

It's definitely an issue that needs looking into, I'll link this thread to the new updater thread so that the updater dev can look into it.

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 11:05
Very strange.

One final thing. Please try running Fantasy Grounds as Administrator, just as a test to see if that work.

It's definitely an issue that needs looking into, I'll link this thread to the new updater thread so that the updater dev can look into it.

Yes! That works. Seems to open up fine if I run as admin.

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 11:12
Huh. This is interesting. I went into the properties comparability tab and checked run as admin so I didn't have to open the file location and right click the app every time. I then tried to open FGU from my taskbar pin and got the error again. As an experiment i unchecked run as admin and just tried running the app by double clicking the exe in the file location and it works fine. I don't think run as admin is the issue. I think it has something to do with my task bar pin.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 11:15
I think it has something to do with my task bar pin.
Ah, right - could be. It probably has the "Start in" property set incorrectly.

RichterVonStreed
May 1st, 2020, 11:18
created a desktop shorcut ran fine. unpinned the app from taskbar, reopened FGU from file location and repinned it. Seems to run fine now. Something in that original pin was sour but is seems to run OK now for some reason.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 11:21
Cool - glad we got there in the end!