PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Roll20 and DDB

DnDExplorers
April 30th, 2020, 22:42
I am planning on moving from Roll20 free to FG Unity Ultimate, and wanted to get some advice on how to best transition.

Also I use and love DDB, and would like to integrate it with FG since I spent some cash on a lot of stuff. Is there a way to integrate the two?

I enjoy DMing premade WotC modules, if I buy a module, realistically what else would I need to purchase to successfully run it in FG?

Lastly any tips and tricks that you think I would find useful would be much appreciated. Btw is the LFG in the forums the best way to get players or find a game?

Zacchaeus
April 30th, 2020, 22:53
Hi Explorer welcome to DG.

There isn’t currently a way that DDB can integrate with FG.

If you are running adventure modules then everything you need is in the adventure (and a lot more too than is in the hard cavers). The only thing which is not in the adventure would be character creation options, and for that I’d recommend the Player’s Hanboook.

There’s some info here on your options https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

DnDExplorers
April 30th, 2020, 23:01
Thanks for welcome, the info and the link.

LordEntrails
April 30th, 2020, 23:21
Though their is no integration with DDB, their is a community created character converter you might like :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41885-Character-Converter-for-D-amp-D-Beyond

TheoGeek
May 1st, 2020, 03:23
Though their is no integration with DDB, their is a community created character converter you might like :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41885-Character-Converter-for-D-amp-D-Beyond

We did this as well. I got a yearly for DDB ONLY for the character creation and using the converter you mentioned. It was easier for my kids to create characters on DDB. One thing FG needs is a better character creator. :)

DnDExplorers
May 1st, 2020, 04:50
We did this as well. I got a yearly for DDB ONLY for the character creation and using the converter you mentioned. It was easier for my kids to create characters on DDB. One thing FG needs is a better character creator. :)

Thanks for the link, I will definitely give it a try

TMO
May 1st, 2020, 15:06

Have you tried FG Unity yet for creating a character? A lot of attention has been put into this area.

TheoGeek
May 1st, 2020, 15:23
Have you tried FG Unity yet for creating a character? A lot of attention has been put into this area.

Only minimially. You still can't "try things out" by changing classes and races without manually removing everything that was added and reverting your stats back to their original values.

Try making a character in DDB and you'll see what I mean.

TMO
May 1st, 2020, 15:28
I am planning on moving from Roll20 free to FG Unity Ultimate, and wanted to get some advice on how to best transition.

Also I use and love DDB, and would like to integrate it with FG since I spent some cash on a lot of stuff. Is there a way to integrate the two?

I enjoy DMing premade WotC modules, if I buy a module, realistically what else would I need to purchase to successfully run it in FG?

Lastly any tips and tricks that you think I would find useful would be much appreciated. Btw is the LFG in the forums the best way to get players or find a game?

It is great to have you join the Fantasy Grounds community.

I'll try not to repeat what others have shared. I too love D&D Beyond and use it in parallel with my Fantasy Grounds games. As noted, there isn't any official integration. I have not tried the community created converter yet. I run my campaigns by putting Fantasy Grounds on one of my two monitors and then I put one or more sessions of D&D Beyond on another monitor. I also use Legend Keeper (https://www.legendkeeper.com/) for managing my campaign notes. I do have all of the WotC sources and modules in Fantasy Grounds, so I could just live in Fantasy Grounds, but I prefer the flexibility of using other (web-based) tools in parallel so that Fantasy Grounds can really just be my VTT and rules engine.

Yes, the LFG forum is probably your best way to get players or find a game.

TMO
May 1st, 2020, 15:33
Only minimially. You still can't "try things out" by changing classes and races without manually removing everything that was added and reverting your stats back to their original values.

Try making a character in DDB and you'll see what I mean.

I know what you mean. I use D&D Beyond myself. I'm not saying Fantasy Grounds Unity has reached the same level, but I know it is vastly improved over Fantasy Grounds Classic and there is ongoing work to make it even better. I remember in some of the early design meetings they were focused on being able to track the source each update to a character (e.g., did the stat change come from the race, class feature, or feat?). That way players can see how their character's stats would change if something else was modified.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2020, 15:44
Let's not get confused here - yes, FGU adds a lot of new functionality. But none of that is related to the character creation process, which is ruleset driven and the rulesets remain the same between FGC and FGU. I know there has been work on improving some aspects of the character creation process, but none of those have been implemented yet, and (I could be wrong), but a lot of that may be relevant to both FGC and FGU.

TheoGeek
May 1st, 2020, 16:26
I know what you mean. I use D&D Beyond myself. I'm not saying Fantasy Grounds Unity has reached the same level, but I know it is vastly improved over Fantasy Grounds Classic and there is ongoing work to make it even better. I remember in some of the early design meetings they were focused on being able to track the source each update to a character (e.g., did the stat change come from the race, class feature, or feat?). That way players can see how their character's stats would change if something else was modified.

Definitely. Even in its current state, we have moved our campaign (Mad Mage) to Unity. Honestly, dynamic LOS is the single highest reason we did...makes my life as a DM SO.MUCH.EASIER. No more unmasking areas..."hold up...gotta unmask this area..." :)

TheoGeek
May 1st, 2020, 16:29
Let's not get confused here - yes, FGU adds a lot of new functionality. But none of that is related to the character creation process, which is ruleset driven and the rulesets remain the same between FGC and FGU. I know there has been work on improving some aspects of the character creation process, but none of those have been implemented yet, and (I could be wrong), but a lot of that may be relevant to both FGC and FGU.

This is my experience. But, I didn't invest in FG for it's character creation. I'd love to see it improved and made more user friendly, but IMHO there are better things for the devs to spend their time on right now, and I'm excited to see what is coming!

esmdev
May 1st, 2020, 18:24
In my most humble of opinions character creation and maintenance is really not that time consuming compared to the amount of time you actually spend playing the game. In my last campaign character generation probably took an hour at most compared to the 24 four hour sessions. Leveling up took place mostly between sessions so doesn't really factor.

Scuba72
May 3rd, 2020, 04:12
Somewhat relevant... this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocyOAhJK08 was posted on the discord last night.
I found most of the character creation to be pretty simple but I am looking forward to it being even easier in the future.

Mysteria_Sdrassa
May 3rd, 2020, 21:48
I switched from R20 about 6 months ago and have never looked back... FG is just so much easier to use.. and $ for $ ends up being way cheaper