PDA

View Full Version : do you use dice?

MaXM
March 12th, 2007, 16:57
Hi everyone!

We have a small "war" here, in my gaming group, about using dice during RPG sessions.
And we wonder if there any supporters of storytelling without using old, good dice?
Personally I'm really big fan of dice and I can't imagine GM being "objective" without them.

What's your opinion? we are really curious...

by the way, if you like nice piece of art, see Q-workshop dice; the stuff made by these people is amazing...

:D

M.

sunbeam60
March 12th, 2007, 17:05
I will reply to your interesting question, but not until you've removed the blatant advert :) Quite subtle, though, I'll give you that :)

MaXM
March 12th, 2007, 17:11
sorry, for the link, but advertising was not my intention...
i really think that is one of the most interesting site online now, that's all.
and I'm sure you will agree with me.

concerning my previous questions- I still look forward to see your opinion sunbeam60

cheers:rv:

Culdraug
March 12th, 2007, 17:19
I agree with Sunbeam, its an interesting question. I have never thought of roleplaying without dice. To me, an RPG is not story telling, it's story creating.With the GM, players and dice making it up as you go.

richvalle
March 12th, 2007, 17:53
Hey! I want a link!

:)

I've heard of story telling without dice but have never played that way. We play 3.5 Dnd so, naturally, use dice.

Even the 'narative' game I played had dice.

I think the Amber game was diceless.

rv

sunbeam60
March 12th, 2007, 17:58
I've played both diceless and ... eh ... dicefull RPG and I have to say I find diceless RPGs less fun that dicefull. To me, most of the roleplaying should be handled diceless ... indeed, I roleplay a gather information check, and if I like how the players did it, I award a +2 circumstance bonus. Similarly, if they just go "I gather information to see if there's anything I know about this dude", I use a -2 circumstance bonus.

For me to enjoy combat, there has to be dice. I mean, if the DM just decides, then we're just writing a story together. That can be fun too, but in that case I'd rather use a collaborative text editor and concentrate on the story. Combat, at least in d20, is tactical in nature. I quite enjoy, so can't see myself going diceless any time soon.

Sorry about my blurb earlier, I just got suspicious when your first post on this board had a link towards a product you could buy. I did check them out (damn, advertising works) and they are lovely dice, I'll admit :)

Sigurd
March 12th, 2007, 19:08
Especially online I think dice are essential. Online you dont have as much theatrical control, mood, voice, tone etc... Action is often the best thing to fill the void.

Ironically, FG doesn't use real dice so I guess its 'diceless' after a fashion :).

Since there is no good reason to use a real die in a virtual game I would never us one in FG. The DM might have a private box for the occaisional role but I doubt it - it adds to the workload.

FG has great dice and rolling action. I'll never lose one and I always know what colour mine are.

S

richvalle
March 12th, 2007, 19:51
Our first attempt at playing DnD with someone out of state involved getting a 2 web cameras and using MS Netmeeting. The guy out of state pointed his camera down into a cup where he would roll dice. We had ours facing us and moved it to the map when a fight took place. We could even place it on the map so he could get a nice LOS view. :)

It worked ok except when we all started to talk at once the guy had a hard time making out what was said or who was doing the talking. We only tried it a couple of times.

FG works much better! We've been playing with that guy for a year and a half now.

rv

MaXM
March 13th, 2007, 13:58
Sorry about my blurb earlier, I just got suspicious when your first post on this board had a link towards a product you could buy. I did check them out (damn, advertising works) and they are lovely dice, I'll admit :)

hehehehe, no problem Sunbeam, you're right buzz (whisper) marketing is powerful tool:D
Concerning my previous question: the only situation I can imagine playing without dice is LARP, but anyway, you need some kind of mechanic, paper-stone-scissors for example.
I like dice..very...maybe because I can't rule them- they are always unpredictable and independent...

Hey! I want a link!
Sunbeam, maybe you can post the link one more time, if the people are calling for it? I can't do it,I'm honorable person:bandit: hihihi

sunbeam60
March 13th, 2007, 14:11
Dagnammit, my attempt to remove attention from the product has _completely_ backfired:

Allright, here you go https://q-workshop.com/

richvalle
March 13th, 2007, 14:20
Thanks, I had done a copy-paste on the name from above and found it.

I've seen that site before and even seen some of the dice in use from other players. They ARE nice.

rv

ldyparadox99
March 18th, 2007, 10:21
I've done both, with and without dice.

For games such as D&D, I firmly believe you have to play with dice to be objective. Other systems can get away with it much more easily.

One game that comes to mind that was written completely diceless is Nobilis. Very interesting game...though I think it only lasted one session.

Though if you're going to play without dice, IMO, you might as well just LARP (live action rpg).

Sigurd
March 18th, 2007, 20:42
Though if you're going to play without dice, IMO, you might as well just LARP (live action rpg).

Ya but think of the internet enabled interface you'd need! :)

ldyparadox99
March 19th, 2007, 14:06
Bah! Not everything has to do with technology!

Though, would that be the next generation of MMO? MMOLARP?

joshuha
March 19th, 2007, 17:23
Think WoW with Wii-like controller for your weapon/magic invocations + motion sensing goggles. Its not too far away :)

ldyparadox99
March 19th, 2007, 19:48
Bah, still nothing like going and smacking people with foam/laytex weapons while wearing elf ears.

richvalle
March 19th, 2007, 20:46
Umm, is the elf ears all you are wearing!?!?

:P

rv

Sigurd
March 19th, 2007, 20:56
Sure, call it a latex 'weapon' if that makes you feel powerful. :DSure....

richvalle
March 19th, 2007, 21:17
As long as it glows in the dark!

ldyparadox99
March 20th, 2007, 10:55
Well, I remember several hot Floridian nights where the elf ears were the only thing that stayed on....I'll stop there though. :D

richvalle
March 20th, 2007, 14:22
LOL

Tease. :)

rv

ldyparadox99
March 20th, 2007, 19:27
Of course!

Girls that wear elf ears and carry big swords don't kiss and tell. ;-)