PDA

View Full Version : Fonts from Google Fonts

mattekure
April 30th, 2020, 18:58
Classic versions attached here.

Unity versions now available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:
FGU Open Sans (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/36/view)
FGU Lato (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/58/view)
FGU Montserrat (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/59/view)
FGU Roboto (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/60/view)
Google fonts has a bunch of free fonts available for use. I made a few of the more popular fonts into extensions for FG. They should work in all rulesets. Where possible, I've made a FGU version of each as well.

https://fonts.google.com/?preview.size=33&sort=popularity

Fonts complete:

Lato
Montserrat
Open Sans
Roboto (my favorite)

mattekure
April 30th, 2020, 18:59
FGU Versions moved to the Smiteworks Forge, linked in first post

mattekure
May 7th, 2020, 23:40
v1.1 posted for both classic and Unity extensions

Weissrolf
May 8th, 2020, 08:03
Great, now I don't have to do this myself. Thanks for that! ;)

kevininrussia
May 11th, 2020, 18:38
New update to Unity:

"Font system improved to handle more font files without errors, and display more closely to the way FGC handles fonts."

Maybe Roboto will work now?

mattekure
May 11th, 2020, 18:46
I just tested, and the latest FGU update seems to fix it. it loads fine for me now. Added to 2nd post

kevininrussia
May 12th, 2020, 19:35
I just tested, and the latest FGU update seems to fix it. it loads fine for me now. Added to 2nd post

Unity: It could just be my eyes but does some bold text (Roboto) look a little blurry?

Weissrolf
May 12th, 2020, 21:33
Unity applies aggressive grayscale anti-aliasing (not Cleartype), which can lead to blurriness. Given how text based the whole FG experience is I urge the developers to work on considerable improvements in the font area.

LordEntrails
May 13th, 2020, 00:39
Unity: It could just be my eyes but does some bold text (Roboto) look a little blurry?
Font improvements are the current priority. Unfortunately the development environments are not showing the same behavior as some user environments are and the font rendering updates have yet to be successfully implemented.

Weissrolf
May 13th, 2020, 00:42
I observed that with Microsoft Word you only get grayscale based anti-aliasing when OpenGL is enabled. Once OpenGL is disabled Word uses proper Cleartype (sub-pixel based) anti-aliasing. Is this something Unity suffers from, too?

GrahamPlain127
August 11th, 2020, 17:18
Mattekure, I want to thank you for these font extentions. Less eyestrain and more gameplay cannot be bad.

FeatherRin
August 12th, 2020, 01:51
Thanks! It's very useful.

Sigurd
August 27th, 2020, 04:34
Thank you muchly!

Egheal
September 27th, 2020, 08:10
Thanks a lot Mattekure

BlueTressym
December 1st, 2020, 02:25
These are great, thank you. Are you looking at doing this for any other Google fonts?

mattekure
December 1st, 2020, 03:22
I did the top 4. If you find another you like I can take a look at it

Kernalgohd
January 9th, 2021, 12:57
Could a white version be made for use with FGC darker themes? Mostly the roboto one, its the most legible font Ive seen yet that isnt made for people with telescope eyes or giant ui scale.

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2021, 15:51
Could a white version be made for use with FGC darker themes? Mostly the roboto one, its the most legible font Ive seen yet that isnt made for people with telescope eyes or giant ui scale.

I'm pretty sure that the text colours are determined by the theme and not by the font in use - so you'd need to write an extension which overwrites the colour scheme in the theme.

Kernalgohd
January 9th, 2021, 16:03
I'm pretty sure that the text colours are determined by the theme and not by the font in use - so you'd need to write an extension which overwrites the colour scheme in the theme.

I got so wrapped up I forgot to mention, I opened up the extension and started editing the colors myself. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Either way, if you use a theme, it comes with its own fonts and colors, but if you have another font extension, it overwrites that. It might be different in the unity version. I don't have that so I don't know.

Edit:
I'm using SirMottes magnificent darkness. Which according to their post, they say it would actually use the roboto font if I had the unity version. But it uses default in classic. It might be that because it just uses default, that I was having problems to begin with, and am able to change it the way I am.

mattekure
January 9th, 2021, 22:17
I got so wrapped up I forgot to mention, I opened up the extension and started editing the colors myself. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Either way, if you use a theme, it comes with its own fonts and colors, but if you have another font extension, it overwrites that. It might be different in the unity version. I don't have that so I don't know.

Edit:
I'm using SirMottes magnificent darkness. Which according to their post, they say it would actually use the roboto font if I had the unity version. But it uses default in classic. It might be that because it just uses default, that I was having problems to begin with, and am able to change it the way I am.

Yeah, editing the colors yourself is fairly simple. Its just one field. If you have another font extension, it will depend on which is loaded first/last. If you take a look at the extension.xml, there is a field called "loadorder" that tells FG what order to load them in. The lower the number, the earlier. Whichever font definition you load LAST will be the one used. so if SirMottes extension has a load order of 50 and my extension has a load order of 100, mine will override his. If the load orders are reversed, then his would override my definitions. So that's another variable you can play with to get the fonts to look the way you want.

Griffonbait
May 25th, 2021, 17:31
FGU Versions

v1.1 added. fix lots of small bugs and tweak sizes

I am getting confused regarding creating an extension that actually works.

I have downloaded your Font-Roboto-FGU.ext and I can install it into the extensions folder and it works perfectly, showing up on the list of extensions and mods.

My problems start with extracting the files in your ext, making no changes, but simply re-zipping them into a zip and changing the .zip to .ext - I then add the file to the extensions folder, and ... the extension does not show up on the list of extensions.

What am I doing wrong? The zip file is a standard zip, not a 7-zip.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

mattekure
May 25th, 2021, 17:33
I am getting confused regarding creating an extension that actually works.

I have downloaded your Font-Roboto-FGU.ext and I can install it into the extensions folder and it works perfectly, showing up on the list of extensions and mods.

My problems start with extracting the files in your ext, making no changes, but simply re-zipping them into a zip and changing the .zip to .ext - I then add the file to the extensions folder, and ... the extension does not show up on the list of extensions.

What am I doing wrong? The zip file is a standard zip, not a 7-zip.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

attach a copy of what you created and I can take a look. The most likely issue is that when creating your zip file, you are zipping up the Directory that contains all the files. This doesnt work. You have to only zip up the files themselves, not their parent folder.

Griffonbait
May 25th, 2021, 17:50
attach a copy of what you created and I can take a look. The most likely issue is that when creating your zip file, you are zipping up the Directory that contains all the files. This doesnt work. You have to only zip up the files themselves, not their parent folder.

I am only zipping the files within the folder. The extension.xml is then in the root of the zip ext.

I have gone through many settings in my zipping program, and I have just bumped into the problem - I use PowerArchiver and it defaults to using Deflate64 compression - it seems this is the culprit. I have been looking for the issue for months now and only just noticed it after I posted my query.

I have got it working now.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers.

jcsamuelson
May 30th, 2021, 22:26
Maybe I missed it, but are there larger versions available? I'm getting a little older so having larger fonts is helpful, but I don't want to change the FG scale (I want to reserve table space).

mattekure
May 31st, 2021, 01:21
Maybe I missed it, but are there larger versions available? I'm getting a little older so having larger fonts is helpful, but I don't want to change the FG scale (I want to reserve table space).

The posted ones are slightly larger than the default fonts. You can always increase the size yourself by unzipping the extension. The ext file is just a zip file with the file extension renamed. Change it from .ext to .zip and extract its contents. you should see an xml file that has the sizes defined in it. Try different sizes and see what works for you, but be aware that changing the sizes of of the fonts does not change the size of any of the other controls, so you can get some weirdness at times.

jcsamuelson
May 31st, 2021, 22:44
The posted ones are slightly larger than the default fonts. You can always increase the size yourself by unzipping the extension. The ext file is just a zip file with the file extension renamed. Change it from .ext to .zip and extract its contents. you should see an xml file that has the sizes defined in it. Try different sizes and see what works for you, but be aware that changing the sizes of of the fonts does not change the size of any of the other controls, so you can get some weirdness at times.

That's fantastic input! I had no idea it would be that easy. Thanks also for the quick and thorough response!

Laerun
July 12th, 2021, 01:03
10.60-inch
Microsoft Surface Pro Summary
The tablet comes with a 10.60-inch display with a resolution of 1366x768 pixels at a pixel density of 148 pixels per inch (ppi).

That is not going to work to well. There is NOTHING that says do not use a tablet or smaller than a 15" screen, but the Surface screen space is probably not the design intent for smaller mobile devices.

I'd personally try to use a screen that is at least 17". Smaller than that and you are already limited and fighting to see anything...

jcsamuelson
July 15th, 2021, 14:53
10.60-inch
Microsoft Surface Pro Summary
The tablet comes with a 10.60-inch display with a resolution of 1366x768 pixels at a pixel density of 148 pixels per inch (ppi).

That is not going to work to well. There is NOTHING that says do not use a tablet or smaller than a 15" screen, but the Surface screen space is probably not the design intent for smaller mobile devices.

I'd personally try to use a screen that is at least 17". Smaller than that and you are already limited and fighting to see anything...

I agree entirely. In fact, most of the time I use my living room TV as the monitor (60"). But, I'm not always parked on my couch, and even when I am, sometimes I like the larger fonts.

eporrini
July 28th, 2021, 04:54
I had the roboto font installed from this thread and saw it listed in the forge. I subscribed for it there and it overwrote the prior version (which is a good thing). After it loaded up I noticed the font size was significantly smaller than what was posted here. I ended up reverting back as I prefer the larger size. @mattekure was that intentional or just an oversight?

mattekure
July 28th, 2021, 14:27
I had the roboto font installed from this thread and saw it listed in the forge. I subscribed for it there and it overwrote the prior version (which is a good thing). After it loaded up I noticed the font size was significantly smaller than what was posted here. I ended up reverting back as I prefer the larger size. @mattekure was that intentional or just an oversight?

There were no changes to the size of the fonts. Are you sure you previously had the FGU version of the extension installed? The forge version is the FGU version. The Classic version had different sizes due to how they rendered differently.

eporrini
July 28th, 2021, 15:29
I may, not sure. I prefer the larger text version. Seems to work in Unity. Perhaps you can offer the larger text version in Unity, it may be popular for those looking for an increased font size.

bobbyp31
September 2nd, 2023, 10:50
I've got Montserrat loaded on FGU and the ext is working in to chat box but not in any of the Campaign or Character options. I am running FGU 4.4.3