PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain things to me?

BlueCatMan
March 11th, 2007, 06:35
Okay, I supose its best to call myself a noob... First post and all, and I haven't downloaded the program yet. But I'm a bit confused. I've read all I can on the main site and it seems to me that this does not take place in its own original world? But rather allows you to have your specific game session to take place in whatever world you'd like it to?

Simply as an example, if someone chose to, they could have their game take place in Terry Pratchett's Discworld? Or maybe Tamriel from The Elder Scrolls, or maybe Middle-Earth or anything else...

Or... Am I horribly mistaken? :p

Griogre
March 11th, 2007, 07:11
You are correct. FG is a virtual tabletop which supplys dice, a battle map with tokens, a typed chat interface and a d20 character sheet. I suggest you download the Demo from the main page and take a look at it.

BlueCatMan
March 11th, 2007, 08:00
Okay, thanks.
I have another question then... I was checking out the demo, and apparently I need to use my IP address to start a game...? I don't understand what that's all about, or should I just always use an alias?
Wouldn't the IP address mean that people can hack into my computer or something, not that even know the leats bit about that stuff... :rolleyes:

Stuart
March 11th, 2007, 08:39
I have been using FG for 2 years now - DM-ing and hosting games for just over 1 1/2 years and in that time (to my knowledge) my pc has not been compromised. I believe your firewalls and other security systems will provide the safety you want but I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I post on this.

Best to use the alias system not your IP number.

Oberoten
March 11th, 2007, 09:03
Okay, thanks.
I have another question then... I was checking out the demo, and apparently I need to use my IP address to start a game...? I don't understand what that's all about, or should I just always use an alias?
Wouldn't the IP address mean that people can hack into my computer or something, not that even know the leats bit about that stuff... :rolleyes:

The full version uses a Alias-Server which creates a temporary alias which is what the players see. IE, no telling on your IP.

Griogre
March 11th, 2007, 23:51
You are as safe using FG as you are surfing the web and reading e-mail if you configure your router and firewall correctly. It is unfortunate that many do not do this - they just cut off their security. This is actually pretty dangerous behavior because most people don't play in a game for just 5 minutes - they do it for hours.

In answer to you question if you are the GM, for others to connect to you they need your IP address. The Demo does not have IP aliasing so you would actually have to tell people what your IP address is, with the full version you can set up an alias and tell them the alias instead.