PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Dales (Regional Map)

quikdagger
April 28th, 2020, 19:23
This is a remake of the regional map for use in the Sword of the Dales module.

https://i.imgur.com/44tJvVY.jpg

graziano.girelli
April 28th, 2020, 20:04
Very very nice work!!!
Well done and thanks for share the map.

damned
April 29th, 2020, 04:04
Nice quickdagger

TheFlyingGribble
April 29th, 2020, 10:50
Thanks! This module is next on the list....

Asterionaisien
May 1st, 2020, 12:11
Wow so cool! Ty, I've just bought the lat adventure yesterday (it's on sale), and it will be very handy.

AlterZwerg
May 3rd, 2020, 13:50
Thanks a lot for the map. I´m planning to run the trilogy sometime so the map will come in handy.
I´m adding my map of Shraevyns Tomb to this thread as it´s for the same adventure. It´s the first map i ever made with digital tools so it´s not much but i hope someone will make use of it. Enjoy

quikdagger
May 3rd, 2020, 18:19
Thanks a lot for the map. I´m planning to run the trilogy sometime so the map will come in handy.
I´m adding my map of Shraevyns Tomb to this thread as it´s for the same adventure. It´s the first map i ever made with digital tools so it´s not much but i hope someone will make use of it. Enjoy

Thats a really good use of Dungeondraft :D

celestian
May 3rd, 2020, 20:52
This is a remake of the regional map for use in the Sword of the Dales module.

I'm curious, what did you make the map with? I've an unhealthy obsession with trying out all the map tools :)

quikdagger
May 4th, 2020, 12:25
I'm curious, what did you make the map with? I've an unhealthy obsession with trying out all the map tools :)

I am almost 99% sure it is Dungeondraft.

celestian
May 4th, 2020, 14:56
I am almost 99% sure it is Dungeondraft.

Im asking about the one you posted ;)

quikdagger
May 4th, 2020, 21:13
Im asking about the one you posted ;)

Oh.. lol... That is the sister program Wonderdraft! My hex maps if you were interested is from Worldographer.

celestian
May 4th, 2020, 21:26
Oh.. lol... That is the sister program Wonderdraft! My hex maps if you were interested is from Worldographer.

I was wondering ;) I picked up DungeonDRAFT and might just do the same with WonderDRAFT. I don't do a lot of world/regional mapping tho.

quikdagger
May 4th, 2020, 23:32
I was wondering ;) I picked up DungeonDRAFT and might just do the same with WonderDRAFT. I don't do a lot of world/regional mapping tho.

It is pretty good. Personally i prefer hex maps because I am all about the hexcrawl but wonderdraft is amazing.

TheFlyingGribble
July 10th, 2020, 15:31
Just running this module at the moment and have noticed a couple of errors with these maps.

The regional map has Shadowdale in the wrong place, mainly because the map included in the module is wrong! It should be on the eastern side of the bridge of the Ashaba River, not on the western side near the junction with the Tethyamar Trail. If you look in the Forgotten Realms Campaign guide, then the local map of Shadowdale shows the bridge on the western boundary of the village. Volo's guide to the Dalelands has the attached map which shows the correct location. Putting it there makes the size of the encounter tables for the North Ride and Tethyamar Trail make more sense. Also a slight typo in 'Desertmouth Mountains" :)

In the 'Shraevyns Tomb' map, the 8 alcoves in the left hand side room are not directly visible when the party enters the room, but have secret doors in front of them.

Obviously these aren't showstoppers, but thought you might want to tweak them. Thanks for making them - haven't had a chance to get up to speed with Dungeondraft myself yet and these are hugely better than the ones in the module!

Cheers,

TFG

JohnD
July 10th, 2020, 17:17
Just running this module at the moment and have noticed a couple of errors with these maps.

The regional map has Shadowdale in the wrong place, mainly because the map included in the module is wrong! It should be on the eastern side of the bridge of the Ashaba River, not on the western side near the junction with the Tethyamar Trail. If you look in the Forgotten Realms Campaign guide, then the local map of Shadowdale shows the bridge on the western boundary of the village. Volo's guide to the Dalelands has the attached map which shows the correct location. Putting it there makes the size of the encounter tables for the North Ride and Tethyamar Trail make more sense. Also a slight typo in 'Desertmouth Mountains" :)

In the 'Shraevyns Tomb' map, the 8 alcoves in the left hand side room are not directly visible when the party enters the room, but have secret doors in front of them.

Obviously these aren't showstoppers, but thought you might want to tweak them. Thanks for making them - haven't had a chance to get up to speed with Dungeondraft myself yet and these are hugely better than the ones in the module!

Cheers,

TFG

We have to use the source materials when making FG versions. Unless WotC issues a correction, I'm not sure if Smiteworks would be able to address it aside from perhaps making a DM's Note or something similar at a relevant point in the module.

TheFlyingGribble
July 10th, 2020, 17:24
We have to use the source materials when making FG versions. Unless WotC issues a correction, I'm not sure if Smiteworks would be able to address it aside from perhaps making a DM's Note or something similar at a relevant point in the module.
Thanks John. Understood about the official maps shipped via the FG store but in this thread the OP and another person published replacement maps they’d created in Dungeondraft/Wonderdraft. I was suggesting those could be fixed without falling foul of the rules.

JohnD
July 10th, 2020, 21:03
Thanks John. Understood about the official maps shipped via the FG store but in this thread the OP and another person published replacement maps they’d created in Dungeondraft/Wonderdraft. I was suggesting those could be fixed without falling foul of the rules.

Ah... well that's what I get for skipping my morning mug of coffee. :)

readymeal
July 11th, 2020, 01:14
The regional map has Shadowdale in the wrong place.....

Interesting i was just asking something similar about the location of Daggerford on the FG Classic DnD Discord channel. Some official maps shows the city North or South of the River...

TheFlyingGribble
July 11th, 2020, 10:13
The text from the updated Forgotten Realms Campaign setting specifically has it on the south side of the ford:

AlterZwerg
July 11th, 2020, 13:25

TFG

Thanks for using the map. I´m glad you enjoy it - here´s a new version with doors/walls :) Also thanks for pointing that out to me.

TheFlyingGribble
July 13th, 2020, 09:13
Thanks for using the map. I´m glad you enjoy it - here´s a new version with doors/walls :) Also thanks for pointing that out to me.

Thanks for the update, but the attachment doesn't seem to work for me?

AlterZwerg
July 13th, 2020, 18:36
Here you go :)

TheFlyingGribble
July 13th, 2020, 18:43
Here you go :)

Thanks! Perfect timing - game in 1 hour and the party is just about to reach the tomb :)