PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Supers switchable powers

R0bperry
April 28th, 2020, 09:15
One of my players has made a hero like Iron Man. However short of entering everything manually, powers like Super Attribute fail to have any effect or automatic adjustment to abilities, when added to the character sheet. Looking at modifiers and effects I have tried to add a modifier that will add a +5 to Strength and a +2 to Vigor. All it does is place text into the Duration box of the power description.

I am sure its a simple matter of entering syntax or proper coding in the proper box to get the automatic effect but I am at a loss as to how to do it.

Second. My player wants to make the Super Attribute switchable so that its on when he wares the armor and off when he does not. Short of making a separate character sheet for when he's out of the armor how can we do this?

We have looked at making the Armor an item in his inventory but I can't get it to recognize that it enhances Strength and Vigor. It only recognizes the armor value.

I can enter these values in manually but that's not the point.

If there is a part of the manual that has instructions on doing this, along with correct syntax and printed examples for mods, then maybe that's where I need to look.

Could someone direct me towards any answers for the above questions?

Thanks in advance

Talyn
April 28th, 2020, 14:12
Just use the effects keywords (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects) somewhere on the armor description text or notes. You're looking for [Strength +5, Vigor +2].

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34504&stc=1&d=1588079317

You can get as fancy as you want, I suppose. In this example, I set it to Power Armor, which makes sense from an MCU standpoint but not sure if that'd be the same under Savage Worlds. Regardless, I just stuck the effect keywords right in the text. I could have gotten fancy and created a custom mod (bottom of the armor sheet under 'Modifications') and placed the effect there.

Whenever the player toggles the armor to 'Equipped' the bonuses will apply automatically, as you can see from my trait roll results.

Mgrancey
April 29th, 2020, 19:26
Ah, just noticed slight mistake on Talyn's effect. It should actually be [Strength +5d, Vigor +2d] as Super Attribute actually raises die type first up to a D12 before going to a straight bonus. Outside of that he is correct.

As far as non-automation goes, the "no benefit" when not wearing would actually be "Device" (PG 18) modifier which is a general modifier for powers. (Section removed, was thinking 1st Edition Supers Companion.) It gives back a point or two off cost since it can be taken away. The invent power itself should generally be saved for them making a power they need at the moment.

If they want the suit to provide a melee/range attack, armor, and other stuff it should get modifier "DEVICE" for each power. You as GM could also offer a little bit extra since it would all be 1 device. They could also take another modifier for time to suit up as "Slow to Activate" which would work out as it takes a full round to get suit on and before gaining benefits of powers tied to the suit.

Think Armor, Flight, Attack Ranged, as normal powers then INVENT would make a specific model like "BruteBuster", Space Flight, Stealth/low profile, Duplicates for controlling different models at same time.

Mgrancey
April 29th, 2020, 21:04
Continuing on SWITCHABLE expanding how it works would be more like Thor and Mjolnir; not a Superhero fan so might not be quite accurate to comics and movies.

SWITCHABLE allows a player to keep majority of Power Points and reuse them for another power, though they can only use one at a time. Using Thor and Mjolnir as examples, Thor can use Mjolnir to bash enemies (Attack, Melee), throw Mjolnir (Attack, Ranged OR Telekensis), and control the weather/lightning (Energy Control, Elemental Manipulation, OR Storm), and fly (Flight OR Telekensis).

You would pick a primary power (most expensive), then for each other power you would add 2 PP per power to the cost. So picking Attack melee, as primary, adding Attack, Ranged and Flight as SWITCHABLE powers, would add 4 PP onto cost, making it a handheld device would get back 2 PP.

Lets say he can put a MAX of 15 points into Attack Melee, with option Switchable +2x2, Multiple Attack +2, Heavy Weapon +1, Device (-2), and 5 levels of Attack, Melee (+8). Since 4 points are being used for Switchable, that leaves 11 points that can be used on Attack, Ranged and Flight.

Attack Ranged he takes Device (-2), Heavy Weapon (+1), RoF (+3/x2), and 3 levels of Attack Ranged.

Then Flight, Device(-2), Climb (+1x2), and 11 levels of Flight.

He can only every use one of the three at a time and can only switch, once a round as a free action, but for 4 PP he got 3 separate powers which would have cost 33 all together rather than the 15 he did spend.

Mgrancey
May 4th, 2020, 14:13
Also, just thought as I am preparing to start a Necessary Evil campaign.

If he is using a suit of armor, he should probably also apply the Contingent modifier on all secondary powers that are tied into suit as well as the Device.