PDA

View Full Version : Target selection methods

OGvarus
April 27th, 2020, 17:22
I know the various ways to select a target for attacks and effects (ctrl+left click on CT or map, drag attack/dmg/effect to target on CT or Map). I am not sure I am missing any others. My question is not so much the method with which to select targets but rather more of a discussion on which method do you use?

This comes about as I try to encourage my players to select targets as they often forget or think they have selected a target (when they actually haven't). I am giving very gentle reminders to select target (it just makes my life soooo much easier when they do haha).

So which methods do your encourage your players to use or which method have you found to be the easiest? What screens do you have your players(or you yourself as a player) have up during combat?

Bonkon
April 27th, 2020, 17:27
Good Day OGvarus :)
In our campaign one guy likes to drag and drop the rest of us usually CTRL+ Click on the map token unless that fails then we select on the CT. We all kind of police each other as the player tells what they are doing the players check the CT for targeting(DM is already busy, as you obviously know!!). :)

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2020, 17:29
I try to encourage the players to have the targets selected and targeted well before it is there turn. That way they are ready to state their action and roll. Speeds up combat mechanics and gives more time for fun.

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2020, 21:27
CTRL+Click every time. The only exception being when something happens out of order in which case it is easier to drag and drop.

damned
April 28th, 2020, 08:06
ctrl+click and do it before your turn so your turn is as smooth and efficient as possible.

DK1138
April 28th, 2020, 09:17
I love dragging the dice onto the monsters (no idea why I just do) but my players like control clicking. Sometimes they forget to target but now I just found out you can click and drag the untargeted roll in the chat window onto a monster and it'll apply the result it's the best of both worlds if they do!

Jan van Leyden
April 28th, 2020, 14:05
I urge the players to use Ctrl+Click on the map, where they can male sure to select the right ones.

Hmmh... there isn't a way, by chance, to draw an area of effect on the map and select the targets that way?

Trenloe
April 28th, 2020, 14:17
Hmmh... there isn't a way, by chance, to draw an area of effect on the map and select the targets that way?
See "Targeting mode" in the Tokens section of the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/71270405/Using+Tokens#Targeting

Also "Target Friendly Units" and "Target Enemy Units".

Neovirtus
April 28th, 2020, 15:46
I urge the players to use Ctrl+Click on the map, where they can male sure to select the right ones.

The link Trenloe posted shows all the different options. So there's a rectangular selection tool, and a freehand "lasso" type tool (which I'm not sure I knew about so... cool!), but if you're looking for cones or circles, I don't believe that's currently an option in the base game. Might be an extension for that, not sure. What I do is just use pointers for cone or sphere to measure things out, and then inevitably as DM I have to rule which targets are in or out anyway, and have the players control click the targets.