PDA

View Full Version : Spell actions from purchased modules incorrect/incomplete?

Makabriel
April 27th, 2020, 13:37
So I've been noticing actions for spells from the basic modules are sometimes incomplete or completely incorrect. I thought it may be because I was using the basics from the SRD, but I checked on a friend's deluxe edition with the purchased Player's Guide and even those have mistakes.

See Attachment. Heroism lasts for a minute, not a round. And the "Heroism" entry doesn't do anything, such as making you immune to Frightened.

I've had to make little adjustments to many spells, however I'd think a paid module wouldn't have these issues. Especially for how old the product is. Is there a "fixed" version of the module?

Klandare
April 27th, 2020, 16:19
So I've been noticing actions for spells from the basic modules are sometimes incomplete or completely incorrect. I thought it may be because I was using the basics from the SRD, but I checked on a friend's deluxe edition with the purchased Player's Guide and even those have mistakes.

See Attachment. Heroism lasts for a minute, not a round. And the "Heroism" entry doesn't do anything, such as making you immune to Frightened.

I've had to make little adjustments to many spells, however I'd think a paid module wouldn't have these issues. Especially for how old the product is. Is there a "fixed" version of the module?

The timer does seem off there as it should be 10 rounds to be 1 minute.

As for the Heroism (C) one; that one is there to be put on yourself and is the associated concentration so if you get hit the system knows to roll a concentration check and see if it gets dropped.

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2020, 17:49
Not all spells can have automated effects. But if you find any errors then please post them in the 5E Bug Report sticky.

Trenloe
April 27th, 2020, 18:00
Not all spells can have automated effects. But if you find any errors then please post them in the 5E Bug Report sticky.
10,000 posts!

Nice one. :-D

Bonkon
April 27th, 2020, 18:02
Good Day LordEntrails!! :)
Congrats!! Only 15,000+ more to catch up with Trenloe!! (If he stops posting right now!!) :)

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2020, 18:15
LOL, I would have never noticed... Ok, Trenloe, no more posts for you for... 0 minutes. I can't deal with the connection issues like you can

And you Bonkon hit 200 since we seem to be celebrating zeros at the moment :)

Makabriel
April 27th, 2020, 18:26

I was able to automate Heroism just fine. (See attached)

And it's not a bug with the program, but incorrect entries in the module. Do the developers manage those as well, or does the publisher of the module?

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2020, 18:32
It depends on the module as to who develops/maintain it. Generally if it is sold through the FG Store then that thread is the place to post the issue and Zacchaeus (who does independent contracting for SmiteWorks) will see that the right person gets notified. If it's for a a different product and you don't know where to post you can post there and if someone knows the developer they will forward it. Note that if its from the DMsGuild then you probably will have to reach out to the developer there, depending upon who it is.

Makabriel
April 27th, 2020, 20:05
It depends on the module as to who develops/maintain it. Generally if it is sold through the FG Store then that thread is the place to post the issue and Zacchaeus (who does independent contracting for SmiteWorks) will see that the right person gets notified. If it's for a a different product and you don't know where to post you can post there and if someone knows the developer they will forward it. Note that if its from the DMsGuild then you probably will have to reach out to the developer there, depending upon who it is.

Well, it's the official WOTC Player's Handbook, so I assume they handle it? I'll put a post in the FG bug thread and see what they have to say.
Thanks!

Trenloe
April 27th, 2020, 20:19
And it's not a bug with the program, but incorrect entries in the module.
Actually, I think it is a bug in the base ruleset, not the PHB module.

It looks like the duration for concentrate effects (and maybe other effects) is not being parsed from the spell correctly. For example: Dancing lights = concentrate up to 1 minute, FG adds duration of 1 round. Fly = concentrate up to 10 minutes, FG adds duration of 10 rounds.

The FG ruleset reads the data from the spells when they are added to the PC (or NPC) and parses out the relevant effects at that point. The effects aren't hard coded into the spell record in the module.

Makabriel
April 28th, 2020, 13:15
Actually, I think it is a bug in the base ruleset, not the PHB module.

It looks like the duration for concentrate effects (and maybe other effects) is not being parsed from the spell correctly. For example: Dancing lights = concentrate up to 1 minute, FG adds duration of 1 round. Fly = concentrate up to 10 minutes, FG adds duration of 10 rounds.

The FG ruleset reads the data from the spells when they are added to the PC (or NPC) and parses out the relevant effects at that point. The effects aren't hard coded into the spell record in the module.

Thanks for looking as well. I didn't know if it was just a problem with the SRD and basic modules, or just me :). Looks like my QA skills for finding broken things don't just pertain to my job, lol.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2020, 13:26
Looks like my QA skills for finding broken things don't just pertain to my job, lol.
Can't get away from it! :D

Thanks for raising the issue.