PDA

View Full Version : Export Module duplicate effects

ragnarol
April 26th, 2020, 16:18
Hi,

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or I am just not following the best practices.

I have a campaign I use to create the stuff for the setting I play with SWADE (Fading Suns), I use the SWADE PHB and GM Guide modules here as it has the basics.

I export it as a module and then I load it in my campaign (lets call it "Beacon of Hope"), which also uses the SWADE PHB and GM Guide, again to have everything.

All works fine but if I export everything (it is a pain to pick only the stuff you have modified) the "Effects" appear duplicated in "Beacon of Hope". If I just don't export Effects from my setting campaing it works fine.

Am I doing it right? Maybe I should remove the SWADE modules from my setting before exporting it?

It is not a big deal, as I just need to un-tick "Effects" but I was wondering if I am doing something wrong or not following the good practices here.

Thanks!

IceBear
April 27th, 2020, 00:24
You use one campaign to create the modules and then load them on another campaign that you use for playing. You added the items and are now adding them again via the module you exported. If you start a new campaign the only items will be the core ones plus the ones from the module you load.

I've made the same mistake myself and then I saw a post that basically said use one campaign to build the modules and then load those modules into the campaign that you are using to play

I never noticed the duplicating of stuff from SWADE just the stuff I built for my campaign

ragnarol
April 27th, 2020, 07:55
Thanks IceBear, not sure that is the problem, as other stuff like Edges or Skills don't get exported duplicated.

Let say you are doing an adventure "The Tomb of the Crazy DM" and you load the PHB, GMG and Monster Manual (talking D&D here just to make a different example than in my original post) to do your stuff in the adventure - you need monsters, treasures and classes for that NPC. Then you export it as a module to use it in the two different campaigns you are DMing.

Are you meant to:
- Unload the PHB, GMG and MM before exporting?
- Or the export should be only exporting the stuff that is specific to your module?

My guess is that is the second, as it seems to be what happen to all except the Effects.

IceBear
April 27th, 2020, 09:23
I'm new to FGs myself....only been using it since the end of March, but when I did /export to export and I picked the list (in my case it was just Edges, Items, Hindrances and Skills I chose) the only duplication I saw were the new stuff I added. I didn't see the native SWADE stuff twice. I'm running Classic not Unity. Unloading the SWADE modules first sounds like a reasonable plan to test

ragnarol
April 27th, 2020, 12:01
I'm new to FGs myself....only been using it since the end of March, but when I did /export to export and I picked the list (in my case it was just Edges, Items, Hindrances and Skills I chose) the only duplication I saw were the new stuff I added. I didn't see the native SWADE stuff twice. I'm running Classic not Unity. Unloading the SWADE modules first sounds like a reasonable plan to test

Yeah, I don't see any duplication on those categories either. But if you click to export "effects" I guess you will see them.

IceBear
April 27th, 2020, 12:09
I do recall having double effects once but can't remember what I did to get them...it might have been when I loaded my module. I remember manually deleting the extras.

I'll have to test again later when I'm at my computer. Just curious if you tried unloading the SWADE modules before exporting and how that turned out

IceBear
April 27th, 2020, 13:09
Ok, I dragged my lazy carcass out of bed and can confirm that if I just export Effects in FGC and then start a new campaign and load that module, the "standard" effects are listed twice. Even tried unloading the SWADE modules first and it still happened. Either a bug or it just works that way :(

I looked at the db.xml file in the mod it produced and it put all the effects there, not just the new ones I created

Edit: Actually, looking at the db.xml file I noticed that the modifiers were listed there as well (Called Shots, etc) and sure enough those are duplicated as well.

Edit: Just edited the db.xml file to remove the entries other than the ones I created and now it's ok.

damned
April 27th, 2020, 14:38
Your module content is not being exported. Only new and edited data.
If you load a module.
You make some changes and some additions.
You export. This only contains your changes and additions.
You load this up in a new campaign.
You make some more changes and additions.
You export. This only contains the new changes and additions - not the first round of changes/additions.

IceBear
April 27th, 2020, 16:10
That's what I thought too (and said to the OP originally), but EFFECTS will duplicate. I had a couple of custom effects, so today I exported just the Effects using /export. Started a new campaign and went to Effects and Modifiers. The custom ones were there (one only) all the core ones were duplicated. This is on FGC. When I opened the mod file that exporting Effects produced it does contain all the core modifiers and effects as well as my custom ones. So, when it loads into the new campaign (which is already getting those core effects and modifiers from SWADE) they're there twice

ragnarol
April 27th, 2020, 16:31
That's what I thought too (and said to the OP originally), but EFFECTS will duplicate. I had a couple of custom effects, so today I exported just the Effects using /export. Started a new campaign and went to Effects and Modifiers. The custom ones were there (one only) all the core ones were duplicated. This is on FGC. When I opened the mod file that exporting Effects produced it does contain all the core modifiers and effects as well as my custom ones. So, when it loads into the new campaign (which is already getting those core effects and modifiers from SWADE) they're there twice

Ok looks like we are in teh same page now :)

That is the issue I was talking about. Not a big deal, but annoying :)

IceBear
April 27th, 2020, 17:54
Yeah sorry...I have to stop replying to posts when I'm not really awake

Ikael
April 29th, 2020, 23:35
The root cause is that SavageWorlds ruleset have built-in effects. These effects does not come from SWADE module, instead they are registered with Lua in the ruleset.

In SavageWorlds v5.2.3+ version, you have slash commands that allow you to unload built-in effects. You should use this when you are creating and exporting modules. You should enable them when you are playing.

ragnarol
April 30th, 2020, 11:37
Thanks @Ikael, that sounds like what I need!

Is there a reference guide on the different slash commands supported by the ruleset? Or at least, which command would unload build-in effects?

Ikael
April 30th, 2020, 12:50
Thanks @Ikael, that sounds like what I need!

Is there a reference guide on the different slash commands supported by the ruleset? Or at least, which command would unload build-in effects?

You can always use /help in FG chat to see all available slashcommand. The specific slashcommands in this case are:

/effects unload
/effects load

ragnarol
April 30th, 2020, 14:05
You can always use /help in FG chat to see all available slashcommand. The specific slashcommands in this case are:

/effects unload
/effects load

Brilliant! Thanks!