PDA

View Full Version : How can I make vehicles work?

Satrek
April 25th, 2020, 17:38
I have an upcoming encounter where the group approaches a ship in a boat (and some future ideas for rides, airships etc.). How can I make that work in FG? I have tried using tokens but failed to find a way to resize the (to, say, large enough for a 2x6 boat) and I am not sure about stacking them. What is the best way to make this work, if there is one? Thanks in advance!

(I thought this was best posted in this board, let me know if I was mistaken!)

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2020, 18:25
What ruleset? Some rulesets have vehicle objects already built in.

FGC or FGU? Images are handled very differently in the two applications.

Satrek
April 25th, 2020, 18:46
Sorry, forgot to include that. FGU and 5e ruleset.

Satrek
April 28th, 2020, 12:21
Still hoping here, is there any way to do this?

superteddy57
April 28th, 2020, 16:32
Moved to 5E forums for better visibility.

Well when I ran chase scenes in the past I would use a vehicle token and remove the players. If the scene required players then a map would need to be used with the player tokens on top. So in your scenario, it sounds like the vehicle token would be best and hand wave that the players are there. Another solution would be to have two maps, one to show the vehicle and another the scene that is outside the vehicle. Just my opinion.

LordEntrails
April 28th, 2020, 16:32
So I assume you have the ship as your base map? You should then be able to make a boat image and add it to your assets and then add it to your image and resize it. The boat image might have to be square with transparency, I'm not sure. Have you checked out the wiki article on creating maps with tiles?

Then during the battle you can unlock and re-edit the map to move the boat. I don't know if I would dare to use LOS at the same time though, as if it's running when you move components you might have problems, as well you might reveal the whole map when you unlock to edit it. Not sure.