PDA

View Full Version : Other Rulesets and Adventure Modules

Dementia Five
March 7th, 2007, 13:36
Hi gang,

Had the FG software for a while, but my first post on the message boards. Yay for me!

I find it curious after going through this forum as to why there has been precious little mention of incorporating other rulesets (Call of Cthulhu, Ars Magica, D&D 1.5 etc...) into the FG system. Clearly, there must be a repository for these somewhere?

And where can I find more downloadable modules? I'm geared to purchase a few from RPGnow, but isn't there a community site with a bunch of free adventures someplace?

THanks all, love the product,
D5

Kalan
March 7th, 2007, 14:21
Welcome to the gang :)

You will unlikely find any "real" rulesets for any system outside of d20 due to copyright laws. A lot of companies fiercly defend their games, and if you make and distribute (techincly you don't even have to distribute...) rulesets for these systems you could land yourself in hot water.

That said, I believe the general consesus has been that "character sheet" rulesets are ok - as these don't in themselves contain how to play - just a basic repository for the information. This kinda falls in the line of the "you may reproduce these sheets for personal use" clause on most (if not all) character sheets. Basically this will be just the character sheet itself - and nothing else related to the rules of the system. In most cases - this is all one really needs to play the games.

As for downloadable modules - its basically the same thing. The only exception is if you're creating d20 based modules. But even then - you still have to follow the d20 licensing and OGL requirements.

Of course - there are those far more knowledgeable than I am on this stuff...

Pax :)

V

mr_h
March 7th, 2007, 14:34
I can't locate it, but there was a post where someone was 'centralizing' all the rulesets being worked on. I for one made a Top Secret SI ruleset but due to copyright restrictions (as well as the fact that I hacked together code/images from other rulesets) I haven't posted it since I don't think that'd be appropiate.

I've seen mention of Star Wars, Shadowrun, and of course DA's Iron Heroes and Arcana Evolved.