PDA

View Full Version : How can I mod the 2E ruleset to use penetrating damage dice?

Sterno
April 25th, 2020, 04:59
Hackmaster 4th edition basically plays like a lightly modded AD&D 2e. Character generation is significantly more complex, but I'm happy doing that all outside the game and just entering the results into a AD&D 2e character sheet, which for the most part works. A lot of things I can handle on my own within the ruleset, such as simply adding 20hp to everyone, or adding a table for the crit and fumble charts. Other things, like shield/armor damage, can't really be handled directly in this ruleset, but isn't overly burdensome for players to track on their own.

One thing I'd really like to be able to do, though, is use penetrating dice for weapon damage. Obviously if people roll manually via /roll, we can do this, but it would be great if this was built right into the damage rolls. Does anyone have a sense for how I'd go about creating an extension that does this? I've been poking around the .pak file and figure somewhere in manager_action_damage.lua there might be an opportunity to turn all the dice into penetrating dice, but I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and modding it so was hoping for some guidance if I'm on the right track.

damned
April 25th, 2020, 06:02
There is nothing "lightly" modded about the penetration dice...

celestian
April 25th, 2020, 07:09
I vaguely remember penetration dice from Hackmaster 4e. It shouldn't actually be that hard. Look at the crit damage options. I've added in x2 damage, double dice, max damage and none. You should be able to review the code for those and tweak it for your penetration options.

Sterno
April 27th, 2020, 13:43
I spent most of the weekend working with Fantasy Grounds to learn how to create a module. I've modded in the 20 hp kicker from Hackmaster for NPCs, added the Comeliness stat, added Honor, and changed the attribute bonuses/penalties to match what's in the Hackmaster book. And I see where to change how the damage is calculated (and did look at your crit code, celestian), but I'm still a little mystified on how to actually tell the system to roll penetration dice rather than normal dice. Is telling a dice roll to use penetration supported by the API, or would I basically have to code in how penetration works? I know it's obviously possible to do through the chat window but I haven't been able to locate the API documentation to see if there's a way to leverage that rather than writing my own.

celestian
April 27th, 2020, 15:05
I spent most of the weekend working with Fantasy Grounds to learn how to create a module. I've modded in the 20 hp kicker from Hackmaster for NPCs, added the Comeliness stat, added Honor, and changed the attribute bonuses/penalties to match what's in the Hackmaster book. And I see where to change how the damage is calculated (and did look at your crit code, celestian), but I'm still a little mystified on how to actually tell the system to roll penetration dice rather than normal dice. Is telling a dice roll to use penetration supported by the API, or would I basically have to code in how penetration works? I know it's obviously possible to do through the chat window but I haven't been able to locate the API documentation to see if there's a way to leverage that rather than writing my own.

It's absolutely possible to do it. The section of crit is probably the best place to do it. You just need to get the dice rolled and if they meet your criteria roll more. You might do better to look at the Damage Dice Reduction section in the damage script. Check the "DDR" effect and what it's doing there. It checks the dice rolled and makes adjustments based on those.

Without doing it myself I can't give you specifics but those are the two places that I think would be best to do it at.

Sterno
April 27th, 2020, 15:13
I'll look for DDR. Thanks!