PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Intermittant lock-up

RaggedyJack
April 25th, 2020, 00:50
Hey all,

We were playing 5e yesterday in 2020-04-17, cloud game with 5 remote players connected.

The host (DM) instance would lock up for 5-20 seconds every 2-10 minutes.

The console didn't display any errors.

Cheers,

pollux
April 25th, 2020, 05:46
Sadly, I think this this is not unusual right now... pending the performance engineering needed to reduce pauses that hasn't happened yet. I have heard some reports that setting up port-forwarding improved network throughput and reduced pauses. It doesn't eliminate them entirely, but if the lobby server is loaded heavily it might improve the situation somewhat.

Instructions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Port_Forward_and_Host_a_Game But use UDP instead of TCP for the protocol (or use both if you have FGC as well).

Sgain
April 25th, 2020, 10:11
I don't think it has to do with the net, seems more likely to do with how FGU accesses things in the game. Everytime I try to open something as a GM it locks up. Doesn't matter what.
This used to happen about every 1/2 hour or so, today about every 2 minutes or so. I do have my ports forwarded correctly, so I figure they are doing something with the file structure.

pollux
April 25th, 2020, 18:55
I don't think it has to do with the net, seems more likely to do with how FGU accesses things in the game. Everytime I try to open something as a GM it locks up.

Network traffic can definitely result in UI pauses at the moment, but it's not the only source of pauses... things definitely also pause when processing lots of XML entities (like when opening the NPC list or a character sheet with tons of spells), and I'm sure there are other pause sources as well. If you're already using port-forwarding, you're doing the best you can to minimize pauses due to networking. There may well be other things in play as you guess.