PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a good adventure for newbies that isn't too scary?

Frunobulax
April 23rd, 2020, 01:14
Hi! I'm looking for reccomendations for an adventure. But there are some minor requirements, which is why I'm asking. Hopefully I can find something appropriate. So here are the circumstances...

I have been talking to my wife about her potentially playing D&D with me, and she says she would try it. She''s never plays ANY RPG before. But she has a "special need". She has experienced trauma in her life and gets anxious when human-on-human violence gets too extreme. Which is to say, I think she would be ok fighting non-humanoid monsters, and even orcs probably, to be OK as long as it isn't too graphically described. And even some human fighting would be ok - again, if its not explicitly described in gory detail and only if combat is the last option. But there could be absolutely no horrific stuff like torture, human sacrifice, etc. Think of it as turning off the "gore" setting in some of the computer RPGs.

On the flip side, she is a kind, gentle, caring person who love all creatures, not just people but especially animals. She has been a veterinary technician for decades and also does wildlife rehab on the side. She is devoted to protecting and helping animals and the only times I see her mad is when she is furious about animal abuse. She will definitely have to be a druid, or possibly ranger. I'm thinking maybe a an adventure that took place largely in the outdoors? I am thinking that the perfect adventure for her would be "Druids defending wildlife from encroaching poachers and hunters". I'm sure there's nothing exactly like that, but its the sort of thing I think she would like. I would like this to be a 5e adventure, one of the officially-released newbie-friendly WEOTC ones, because they include so much detail and atmosphere in terms of images and description etc.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!

LordEntrails
April 23rd, 2020, 06:24
LMoP is out, too much human v human strife.

D&D Essentials and the Dragon of Icespire Peak might be good. I don't have it, but I do have the three follow on adventures (Storm Lord's Wrath, Sleeping Dragon's Wake, Divine Contention).

I think Icespire is mostly PC v monsters with player(s) who are trying to help a town stay safe from a dragon. And its designed for new players AND even for solo PCs and the use of sidekicks. So it might fit really well.

The 3 follow on adventures I mention might not fit so well though. The adversaries here are two humanoid cults (one undead and one storm).

Dragon Heist is another possibility. It has very little combat and most things can be resolved without combat. That said, I think the module itself is poorly plotted and would suggest you read the Alexandrian Remix for some very valuable insight.

I think there might be some really appropriate 3rd party stuff, but I just don't know it as I haven't delved there in years.