PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Players, and How to stop them

Gumbledook
April 21st, 2020, 21:45
On my first attempt at the Fantasy Grounds game, a couple of my players, without letting me know, decided to wander around in the dungeon, seeing rooms ahead, if not their contents. Is there anyway I can stop them from doing this?

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 21:50
Use the Mask feature. That is like a super set of what's visible and what's not for LOS.

My experience is this is normal curiosity, and if addressed will usually not happen again. But...

Also, drop a dragon or two on the map in places they will want to wander. Then when they reveal them tell them to roll initiative! After 2 rounds or so and half the party is dead, tell them next time it happens it character deaths are final!

Gumbledook
April 21st, 2020, 21:55
Sounds like good advice to me LE. As I said I'm new to this, and to be fair so are my players. Many thanks

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 22:02
Another thing I did was to actually load up FG and put the players on a big map (from Dragon Heist) with lots of doors and walls and things. Then placed some random NPCs on it and the Party tokens. Then left it running one-day so anyone could log in and "play" with LOS. That seemed to get the curiosity of 'how does this work' out of their system.

Some of it is curiosity about what's around the corner, some is just getting used to the feature and how it works etc.Make sure they have a chance to get the second type of curiosity out of their system in a harmless way :)

JohnD
April 21st, 2020, 22:13
Lock tokens.

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 22:17
Lock tokens.
Not available (yet) in FGU :) And since his players were playing with LOS I know it's FGU :)

Gumbledook
April 21st, 2020, 22:26
I should point out, yes, it was Unity, but because of the crashing problems I was getting, I asked FG to cancel so I could resubscribe to classic. Ive now been experimenting with the mask tool, and I feel confident this could well be the answer to my problems. I was panicking (slightly) about how I could make things work without LOS. Not worried about it now.

JohnD
April 21st, 2020, 23:31
Unleash multiple encounters on them as they wander away.

TreeBeard1967
April 23rd, 2020, 02:35
I find it enjoyable that you have wandering players who might encounter wandering monsters who have a scout out front with the tanks behind them followed by the spell casters. Who's in whose dungeon now?

Nylanfs
April 23rd, 2020, 12:28
Welcome to the forums and FG Community!