PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Ongoing Save Effects

kentmccullough
April 21st, 2020, 17:37
This has been moved to DMs Guild Here (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/312720?affiliate_id=1307708)

This extension adds a few kinds of effect types:

SAVEO - which is for ongoing saves, example would be something like Spirit Guardians. That Effect would look like this:

Spirit Guardians; SAVEO: WIS DC 15 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C)

Lets break that down.
"Spirit Guardians;" - Just a label
"SAVEO: WIS DC 15 (M)(H);" - The SAVEO tells us to save ongoing at the start of our turn, WIS is the stat to be used for the saving throw, DC 15 is the target DC you need to match or beat with your roll. (M) means it's magic damage so that things with magic resistance would properly get their advantange. (H) means half damage on success.
"SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant;" - The damage to be rolled after the save, in this case it would be 3d8 radiant type damage. NOTE: you can string multiples of these if you need different damage types.
"(C)" - The person who applied this effect is concentrating on it so they'll properly roll their concentration saves if they are hit.

SAVEEND - which is for effects that you roll a save at the end of every turn in order to overcome, example would be a dragons Frightful Presence. That Effect would look like this:

Frightful Presence; Frightened; SAVEEND: WIS DC 16

Breaking that down:
"Frightful Presence;" - Just a label
"Frightened;" - Default effect baked into the ruleset
"SAVEEND: WIS DC 16" - The SAVEEND tells us to save at the end of our turn, WIS is the stat to be used, DC 16 is the target DC you need to match or beat with your roll. On a successful save the effect will automatically expire.

Version 1.0 - All the basic features outlined in this post.
Version 1.1 - Fixed an issue where if a SAVEO didn't have the (H) for half damage it would always apply full damage instead of no damage. Example would be sickening radiance.
Version 1.2 - Added in parsing of NPC spells/abilities that would have saveend to automatically add it to the effects for them.https://www.dmsguild.com/product/312720?affiliate_id=1307708

Bonkon
April 21st, 2020, 17:54
Good Day kentmccullough :)
Fantastic addition to the system! I cannot wait to try this out!! :)

4wire
April 21st, 2020, 17:57
Oh! nice! Will give it a try in FGU!

Bashoomba
April 21st, 2020, 18:37
That's my boy! I'm his manager and i'll be accepting commissions for tasking him with my ideas lololol. I'll sure to keep pelting him with ideas so we can all benefit from his genius.

Zacchaeus
April 21st, 2020, 19:02
Nice one.

kentmccullough
May 1st, 2020, 23:13
Updated to Version 1.1
- Fixed an issue where if a SAVEO didn't have the (H) for half damage it would always apply full damage instead of no damage. Example would be sickening radiance.

Three of Swords
May 1st, 2020, 23:22
Not sure how I missed this one, but this seems like an awesome extension! Will check it out this weekend.

Beemanpat
May 2nd, 2020, 10:09
Is this FGC or FGU compatible. Perhaps both?

EDIT: I can confirm that it works for FGC.
This works I added the movement halved just as a note hopefully to help remember it.
Spirit Guardians; SAVEO: WIS DC 14 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement halved

I think(unless I missed something) you have to adjust the *d8 dice number and damage type depending on PC alignment/spell cast level. I really like the automation though. If the PC plans ahead they can adjust the *d8 dice number ahead of their turn.

Thank you for this extension it really is nice.

Stv
May 2nd, 2020, 14:11
Looking good :)
I'll point my DM in the direction of this one, good job.

Cheers, Steve

kentmccullough
May 2nd, 2020, 19:01
@Beemanpat yes you'd have to adjust the number of d8 if upcasting, or to necrotic if you're evil cleric. This also can work for any spell with ongoing saves though, like sickening radiance and the like, not just spirit guardians.

kentmccullough
May 4th, 2020, 20:26
Version 1.2
- Added in parsing of NPC abilities / spells that have SAVEEND type effects to automatically add the SAVEEND to those effects. (In the Combat Tracker)

Let me know if there are any that show up and do not parse correctly, there's many different wordings and I'm sure I didn't cover them all. Any NPC that should have SAVEEND appended to it's effect in the CT that doesn't I need to be told of them.

Beemanpat
May 4th, 2020, 20:29
Hot dang. Just keeps getting better and better. Thank you.

halfdust
May 19th, 2020, 01:30
Is there a reason i'm not seeing the download link? I've tried multiple browsers.

Bonkon
May 19th, 2020, 01:42
Good Day and Welcome Halfdust :)
This has been moved to DMSGuild for purchase. :)

Beemanpat
May 19th, 2020, 01:49
Its on dmsguild. Kent's extensions are on sale in a bundle. They are worth it.

halfdust
May 19th, 2020, 02:44
Thank you - found it there and bought it before I could see this post. Also - when doing Spirit Guardians - and using the code from this site - why is it only posting in the chat of FG and not rolling the dice?

halfdust
May 19th, 2020, 02:46
Nevermind - I figured it out - presumed it was loading - didn't select it.

DragonsDen13
June 19th, 2020, 06:31
Kent,

Will this allow a SAVEO to be removed if successful save at the start of the turn?

Thinking of adding the following: Prone; SAVEO wisdom DC 1 but the save does not seem to remove the effect from the character when saved. Just trying to simplify my group's button clicking requirements to remove prone when it needs to be removed; since usually a prone character will stand up as the first thing they do on their turn.
I know SAVEEND removes it with a save but only on the end of their turn. Not sure if there is a proper way to write the effect so that it will remove on Save at the beginning.

Thanks.

kentmccullough
June 23rd, 2020, 19:59
As of right now there is nothing, however I do have plans to add something like SAVESTART that would work the same as SAVEEND to remove an effect at the start of the turn.

0m0n
July 13th, 2020, 23:18
Does anyone know how to reword the Ash Puff description for the Ash Zombie in LMoP so I can use the ongoing save effect?

Ash Puff. The first time the zombie takes damage, any living creature within 5 feet of the zombie must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or gain disadvantage on attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on it early with a successful save.

At the moment I've just created an effect and put in it my shortcuts so I can drag it from there but it would be helpful to be able to do it from the CT or NPC Character Sheet. Doing it this way does the applied by the current person in the initiative rather then the Zombie
Ash Puff; DISATK; DISCHK; DISSAV; SAVEEND: CON DC 10

Bretwulf
August 28th, 2020, 15:54
Hello, Kent! I'm heavily considering buying your extension. However, i'm a pathfinder 1e player most of the time, and only play 5e casually. Do you extension have any possibility of working in 3.5/PF1 ruleset? Togheter with the aura extension, it would make my games way easier (PF is full of auras haha)

kentmccullough
August 28th, 2020, 17:41
It only works in 5E as does the auras, they require the 5E effects managers. Changing them for other rule sets is possible, but something I likely won’t be able to do for a while.

Amerisun
September 25th, 2020, 05:51
Great extension! And it works with Unity.. my original post was to ask if you were fixing for Unity, but it was user error, not a problem with the extension. :-)

mdrichey
September 27th, 2020, 04:04
Is there any way to make SAVEDMG work with SAVEEND? For example, the phantasmal killer (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/phantasmal-killer) spell:

Phantasmal Killer (C); Frightened; SAVEEND: wisdom DC 15; SAVEDMG: 4d10 psychic

kentmccullough
September 29th, 2020, 21:47
Presently there is not, however I'm adding it to my todo list so that you can have your effect exactly as you posted.

Also thank you for linking to the spell's description and such, saves me having to google, highly appreciated.

webdove
November 24th, 2020, 07:07
Hi Kent, Is it possible to do a SAVEEND with disadvantage for example: quasit scare
One creature of the quasit's choice within 20 feet of it must succeed on a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the quasit is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success.

kentmccullough
November 24th, 2020, 19:13
You'd have to do some manual adjustments, but you could have
IF: CUSTOM(quasit); DISSAV: wisdom

Then add an effect of quasit to the person that you remove if the quasit is no longer in line of sight. There's no way as of yet that I'm aware of to identify if something is/is not in line of sight, and that would be an entire extension in its own right.

webdove
November 25th, 2020, 05:11
Ah, I get it.

effect 1
Scare; Frightened; SAVEEND: WIS DC 10;
IF: CUSTOM(seequasit); DISSAV: wisdom

effect 2
seequasit;

The weakness is that all wisdom saves are at disadvantage while the quasit is visible.

kentmccullough
November 30th, 2020, 19:42
That is indeed the weakness that it would be all wisdom saves, if there are multiple in the encounter then it definitely will be more micro-management of that kind of thing required. Completely automating this isn't something I can think of how you'd do it as of yet, especially since I didn't think to add DISTYPEs to my other extension, however when I've got a chance I'll work on adding that to the automatic save advantage extension as well since that allows you to get adv against things like frightened with certain racial traits like bravery.

Alanrockid
December 24th, 2020, 13:14
Is it possible to use this extension to make an automated damage roll after a failed save in a not-ongoing-save scenario?

kentmccullough
January 2nd, 2021, 19:32
Not as a single action, if it's something that happens at the start of end of a turn, but only happens once you could set up the effect as an ongoing one but with a duration of only 1 round.

webdove
January 2nd, 2021, 20:26
Kent,
Do you know how to code a SAVEEFF: to specify the duration in rounds? For example I was trying:
AURA: 10 foe; Stench; IF: FACTION(foe); SAVEO: wisdom DC 16; SAVEEFF: poisoned 1r
but I could not find any reference to coding a duration modifier.
Thanks
Web

kentmccullough
January 3rd, 2021, 01:23
Nothing is set for that presently. I’ll add that to the list of things needed for the 1.0 release

Rafael Martins
January 8th, 2021, 13:56
Hello, I got your extension, very nice, but I would like to know how to do to save at the end of the turn, instead of the beginning, to resist the damage, in the case of effects in which the test is performed when the creature ends the turn within the area of effect? For example, in spiritual guardians, the creature must perform the roll when it starts its turn in the effect area, but in a flaming sphere, the roll is done at the end of the turn. SAVEEND does not seem to work, as it is only for conditions, not damage.

MrDDT
January 8th, 2021, 19:01
Hello, I got your extension, very nice, but I would like to know how to do to save at the end of the turn, instead of the beginning, to resist the damage, in the case of effects in which the test is performed when the creature ends the turn within the area of effect? For example, in spiritual guardians, the creature must perform the roll when it starts its turn in the effect area, but in a flaming sphere, the roll is done at the end of the turn. SAVEEND does not seem to work, as it is only for conditions, not damage.

SAVEEND - The SAVEEND effect modifier is used to automatically roll saving throws for effects which allow a save at the end of each turn.
SAVEOE works the same as SAVEO except at the end of the turn.

So depends on how you want to use it.

For Flaming Sphere, you want to use SAVEOE

Rafael Martins
January 8th, 2021, 19:40
awesome! thanks!

Henrique Oliveira Machado
April 12th, 2021, 23:41
Did i gave you a lot of my money this week? Yes.
Do i regret? No!

Nice job man!

Hjorimir
December 12th, 2021, 14:23
When I test with "Frightful Presence; Frightened; SAVEEND: WIS DC 16" as an effect, the system will automatically roll the saving throw (and indicate success or failure), but on a success the effect persists (i.e. it isn't automatically removed from the character on the combat tracker. This is for FGU. Has anybody had luck with the effects being removed after a successful saving throw?

bmos
March 6th, 2022, 15:24
This extension seems to need updates for compatibility with the latest ruleset updates.

Rafael Martins
March 18th, 2022, 13:21
ActorManager.getActor - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Contact forge/extension author

Klandare
October 22nd, 2022, 19:20
Getting this error after the latest FGU update:

[10/22/2022 11:17:44 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "878507-OngoingSaves:..anager_effect_ose.lua"]:205: attempt to call field 'getActor' (a nil value)

kentmccullough
October 27th, 2022, 23:12
Getting this error after the latest FGU update:

[10/22/2022 11:17:44 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "878507-OngoingSaves:..anager_effect_ose.lua"]:205: attempt to call field 'getActor' (a nil value)

This should be resolved. Make sure you're on the latest version by downloading the update from DMsGuild. Most recent version is 2.3 and should display that in the chat window when first opening the campaign so you can confirm.

Klandare
October 28th, 2022, 00:51
That was it!

Odd as I normally keep my EXT from DMsGuild up-to-date and it wasn't saying I had not grabbed the file before. I must have overwritten the incorrect one.

Thanks.

0m0n
October 28th, 2022, 06:17
There is an error occurring when a npc tries to recharge one of their weapons. I've been able to narrow it down to an interaction between Untrue effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?73302-IF-NOT-Untrue-Effects/page3 and ongoing save effects

I was able to reproduce by having only these two extension active. Only happens if both are active not just one

Script execution error: [string "..rue_effects_berwind:..r_effect_untrue.lua"]:84: attempt to call global 'applyRecharge' (a nil value)

I've posted in the untrue effect thread too

metaldm007
December 5th, 2023, 00:03
Was there any implementation of durations into the extension? It was brought up a couple of years ago, but I can't find any developments on the topic.

Zacchaeus
December 5th, 2023, 08:21
Was there any implementation of durations into the extension? It was brought up a couple of years ago, but I can't find any developments on the topic.

I'm not sure whether this extension is being supported any more. The author has not been active on the forums for some months.