PDA

View Full Version : Create New Hindrances With Minor/Major

UrsaTeddy
April 21st, 2020, 14:17
Greetings All,

I am adding some home game data into Fantasy Grounds which includes new Hindrances and Edges amongst other things.

How do you setup a Hindrance that has both Minor and Major versions that have actual game mechanics associated with them.

I can get it to work for one version but not both at once. How is this handled?

Example: New Hindrance (Minor/Major) and in the text I add [Toughness -1].

However what if it is Toughness -2 for major?

Thanks in advance,
D

Talyn
April 21st, 2020, 14:21
Off the top of my head, since you have to edit the text once it's on your character sheet to either Minor or Major anyway, you'd probably want to edit the effect too.

UrsaTeddy
April 21st, 2020, 14:23
Off the top of my head, since you have to edit the text once it's on your character sheet to either Minor or Major anyway, you'd probably want to edit the effect too.

So is there no way to edit on the character sheet to Minor or Major and it would work it out with the right set up?

It would be easy enough to just create two versions of the Hindrance to facilitate that, however I was wondering if there was a more "natural" way.

Thanks for the help,
D

Talyn
April 21st, 2020, 15:54
That is the "natural" way, just like you'd do on a paper character sheet. But some sort of major/minor effects automation is a good idea to add to the SW Request Tracker (https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/) though... :)

UrsaTeddy
April 21st, 2020, 15:56
That is the "natural" way, just like you'd do on a paper character sheet. But some sort of major/minor effects automation is a good idea to add to the SW Request Tracker (https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/) though... :)

Yes it is natural on paper, however when using electronics, natural is automation :)

Thank you again.
D

Dr0W
April 21st, 2020, 20:06
If you are adding home game data, you could always create two different entries for the same Hindrance. One Minor, the other one Major. And then simply code different effects for each one.

UrsaTeddy
April 21st, 2020, 23:22
If you are adding home game data, you could always create two different entries for the same Hindrance. One Minor, the other one Major. And then simply code different effects for each one.

I think I mentioned that as a solution previously, however thank you for the input.

Thanks,
D

Doswelk
April 22nd, 2020, 09:14
Greetings All,

I am adding some home game data into Fantasy Grounds which includes new Hindrances and Edges amongst other things.

How do you setup a Hindrance that has both Minor and Major versions that have actual game mechanics associated with them.

I can get it to work for one version but not both at once. How is this handled?

Example: New Hindrance (Minor/Major) and in the text I add [Toughness -1].

However what if it is Toughness -2 for major?

Thanks in advance,
D

I take the "nasty" approach, I code them with the Major version applied, believe me the players will reduce the penalties sharpish! :)

UrsaTeddy
April 22nd, 2020, 13:53
I take the "nasty" approach, I code them with the Major version applied, believe me the players will reduce the penalties sharpish! :)

I am developing the data for a game I am running for "new to online gaming" players and the less they have to "learn" going from paper to screen the better for now, especially if they have to make changes to the data for their character.

Since it is not many of these things for now, I have just gone and coded two seperate Hindrances.

Thanks for all the replies.
D