PDA

View Full Version : Buy upgrade to FGU from steam or fantasygrounds.com?

Cozy
April 21st, 2020, 12:36
Hi

I have the FG Classic Ultimate, from Steam. Bought to learn the basics until we start playing a campaign the coming autumn.
I really would like to start the campaign using FGU so I plan to upgrade.

- I can buy the FGU here from fantasygrounds.com or wait until it is available from Steam. What would the difference be?

- Will there be a way to communicate by voice or video in the FGU?

Fear Grounds
April 21st, 2020, 14:25
Hi

I have the FG Classic Ultimate, from Steam. Bought to learn the basics until we start playing a campaign the coming autumn.
I really would like to start the campaign using FGU so I plan to upgrade.

- I can buy the FGU here from fantasygrounds.com or wait until it is available from Steam. What would the difference be?

- Will there be a way to communicate by voice or video in the FGU?

Steam is simply a different way of accessing the exact same program. No matter where you buy the License, you are accessing the same program, from Smiteworks. Buying from Steam may get you a different cost as regional pricing is a thing there. Steam takes a portion of the sale, and Fantasy Grounds(Smiteworks) gets what is left. Unity is still in beta right now, and will not be available on Steam until the full program is released. It is unknown(by me) how much longer Unity will be in beta testing. If you are wanting Unity now, it may be in your best interest to go ahead and purchase it directly from here. Anything you purchase from Steam will work along with anything you purchase directly from Fantasy Grounds as well. Just make sure that you have linked your Fantasy Grounds and Steam Accounts.

Neither Fantasy Grounds Classic or Unity will support native Audio/Video chat. You will still need to use a separate client (Zoom,Discord,Skype,Etc...) for Audio/Video Chat.

Modules originally designed for Classic will also work in Unity. You can check to make sure any modules you own are converted by simply looking at the product listing here at Fantasy Grounds. Official content is currently being update to support unity and line of sight. Community content will be updated whenever the creative team behind those products can do so.

RLacey
April 21st, 2020, 16:00
The big downside to buying it from here if you own FGC on Steam is that you will not get the 40% discount (for this you need to wait for the Steam release). This is the reason that so many of us Steam owners are waiting to upgrade.

Also, I believe that it has since been stated that it is not specifically the case that FGU won't come to Steam until after the beta; it's just that there are technical behind the scenes issues stopping it from being there yet. It will be a shame if that means that Steam owners can't also get the current 10% early access discount, but such is life...

Cozy
April 21st, 2020, 21:09
Tank you both
40% could be worth to wait for.

Sapling93
April 21st, 2020, 21:13
Also waiting for the steam release... the last update was over a month ago: mid-late April...
I would love an update on that :)

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 21:35
Doug mentioned somewhere in the last week or so that Steam is still working on developing a solution to the DLC problem. SmiteWorks has made some suggestions on how it might be solved, but it's still up to Steam to implement a solution on their system. It's an important issue for SmiteWorks, but may not be much of a priority for Steam itself though.

friday_freeze
April 23rd, 2020, 01:28
Doug mentioned somewhere in the last week or so that Steam is still working on developing a solution to the DLC problem. SmiteWorks has made some suggestions on how it might be solved, but it's still up to Steam to implement a solution on their system. It's an important issue for SmiteWorks, but may not be much of a priority for Steam itself though.

I'm unaware of the DLC issue. I was literally about to say F* it and buy the game now not worrying about the standard to ultimate upgrade savings. But i did purchase 15 5E DLC content with the steam package when i bought FG. Is the DLC not working with Unity?

damned
April 23rd, 2020, 01:50
I'm unaware of the DLC issue. I was literally about to say F* it and buy the game now not worrying about the standard to ultimate upgrade savings. But i did purchase 15 5E DLC content with the steam package when i bought FG. Is the DLC not working with Unity?

The DLC works with FGU and FGC.

rhammer2
April 23rd, 2020, 05:33
It is the package discounts that are the primary reason to stick to the same place to buy all your DLC. From what I have gathered from posts, it is the fact that FGU is a new software that uses the same DLC as FGC that is causing the issue. Also, a problem with applying a discount to the FGU software if you have the FGC license already.

Varatta
April 26th, 2020, 04:47
I have a somewhat related question? Sorry if posting it here hijacks the thread - I bought my license through the FG website but someone gave me some steam credits for my birthday and I'd love to add some books through steam - unfortunately steam doesn't recognize that I don't OWN Fantasy grounds, even though I've synced the accounts (it appears it is a one-way-sync?). So it won't let me buy books off of steam. Is there a way to get Steam to recognize that I have an FG license?

LordEntrails
April 26th, 2020, 05:19
I have a somewhat related question? Sorry if posting it here hijacks the thread - I bought my license through the FG website but someone gave me some steam credits for my birthday and I'd love to add some books through steam - unfortunately steam doesn't recognize that I don't OWN Fantasy grounds, even though I've synced the accounts (it appears it is a one-way-sync?). So it won't let me buy books off of steam. Is there a way to get Steam to recognize that I have an FG license?
Periodically, normally every 4-8 weeks, SmiteWorks sends over all the license codes so that Steam can recognize owners so you can purchase DLC. But with the current flood of work, we don't know when that will next happen.

Varatta
April 26th, 2020, 10:31
Periodically, normally every 4-8 weeks, SmiteWorks sends over all the license codes so that Steam can recognize owners so you can purchase DLC. But with the current flood of work, we don't know when that will next happen.

Oh amazing. So presumably my codes didn't go over previously because I didn't sync my accounts until now? I've had my license for years.

Trenloe
April 26th, 2020, 10:55
Oh amazing. So presumably my codes didn't go over previously because I didn't sync my accounts until now? I've had my license for years.
Syncing Steam purchases doesn’t push any data back to Steam - it’s only for getting purchases of Steam DLC into the FG updater.

See these instructions to add your FG key to Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

Varatta
April 27th, 2020, 03:35
Syncing Steam purchases doesn’t push any data back to Steam - it’s only for getting purchases of Steam DLC into the FG updater.

See these instructions to add your FG key to Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

Thank you!

Salix
June 2nd, 2020, 22:27
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this had good info in it. My only question was that if I purchase the Unity Beta client directly from SmiteWorks, I cannot get current DLC for Fantasy Grounds from Steam to be recognized until *after* Unity is released on Steam (early access or full release)? I do not own the classic client in any capacity (direct purchase or on Steam, for reference); Unity would be my first purchase.

LordEntrails
June 2nd, 2020, 22:45
Correct. But if you don't own FGC, then you don't own any FG DLC right? So you would have to buy any DLC from the FG Store since Steam won't let you buy it until you own FGC (or FGU if wait until its on Steam).

Salix
June 2nd, 2020, 22:50
That's correct. Like an earlier post, I have lots of gift cards/credit on Steam and figured it would be a good use of the funds. I was thinking maybe I'd just purchase the ~$10 FGC client the next time there's a sale like they had in March with the idea then that any DLC purchased on Steam would then be synced with my FGU account. Thanks for the clarification though - much appreciated.