PDA

View Full Version : Will Fantasy Grounds 5e books be getting a similar deal D&D Beyond is coming up?

Paperclipkiller
April 21st, 2020, 04:44
Tweet for context

https://www.twitter.com/badeyeadam/status/1252265963191443457?s=21

It looks like DDB is getting a deal with codes for their service included in at least 1 future hardcover book. Will we be seeing this potentially with Fantasy Grounds? If not, that's very unfortunate since it would seem WOTC is giving a digital storefront preference. :/

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 05:54
Yes it would suck. Given that FG was the first to gain a digital license I have felt that many of the leads at Wizard's have ignored FG and misstreated them with social recognition.

That said, SmiteWorks never discusses business matters except to announce things when they are finalized. So, I hope, and trust, they are working this issue and will be included. But they probably won't comment until it's official.

Fear Grounds
April 21st, 2020, 14:55
For everyone who already owns a library(or 3) of physical books, this could be an absolute game changer. pun intended

Trenloe
April 21st, 2020, 14:59
For everyone who already owns a library(or 3) of physical books, this could be an absolute game changer. pun intended
Probably not for those who already own the books. The DnD Beyond deal is for new books purchased which include the code in the book. It would be virtually impossible to administer something like this for all of the books that have been previously published.

Fear Grounds
April 21st, 2020, 15:15
Probably not for those who already own the books. The DnD Beyond deal is for new books purchased which include the code in the book. It would be virtually impossible to administer something like this for all of the books that have been previously published.

Yeah...I know...:cry:

I'm still stuck in MY fantasy world apparently. LOL

Even implementing a system like Modiphius uses, where you send them a picture of the book along with the original receipt, and get the PDF version for free wouldn't be an option. How many people still have the receipts for books they bought at a convention several years ago. Not many...

But more importantly, it is a step in the right direction. You shouldn't have to buy the same content (at full price) multiple times for the same game. The discount would go a long way in easing the financial pressures gamers face, and shows that WoTc actually cares about the people that buy their products.

That being said, I am still perfectly happy to pay Smiteworks, and other developers for their hard work and time in converting books into usable modules. Keep up the excellent work everyone!!!