PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Tokens Questions, any help appreciated

FullCtrl88
April 21st, 2020, 00:43
Hello

Pretty new to Fantasy Grounds and still figuring things out. a couple of questions i had were:

1) Is there any way to turn on the visibility of all encounter tokens placed on a map/image? Specifically, I'd like to see where all tokens/enemies/NPCs are on the map(s) of the "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" module i purchased without having to add every encounter to the Combat Tracker individually.

2) is there a way to have the same encounter token on multiple maps/images? I found some better more detailed maps for some of the levels and I'd like to have the encounter tokens on those too, but don't necessarily want to remove them from the "official" players maps.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Fear Grounds
April 21st, 2020, 01:38
1) Is there any way to turn on the visibility of all encounter tokens placed on a map/image? Specifically, I'd like to see where all tokens/enemies/NPCs are on the map(s) of the "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" module i purchased without having to add every encounter to the Combat Tracker individually.

2) is there a way to have the same encounter token on multiple maps/images? I found some better more detailed maps for some of the levels and I'd like to have the encounter tokens on those too, but don't necessarily want to remove them from the "official" players maps.

1) I'm going to have to say no on this. Or I have not found a way to do it at least.
Just my theories: A- including too much information on multiple maps could over burden the Fantasy Grounds system, B- not every encounter will be used by the adventuring party and would be an unnecessary use of resources/memory/bandwidth.

2) I upgraded my Castle Ravenloft maps for curse of Strahd 5E. What I did was to open my new map, and the original map beside of it. Then I copied the placement of all the pins onto my new map, after setting the battle grid on it. Any pins that would have linked to an original map, were switched out with a pin pointing to one of my new maps. This left all the pins exactly where they were originally placed, as well as located on my new maps.

Friendly advice, before updating any of your maps
Map / Image Preparation
• Image file sizes should be less than 1 MB each, and much smaller when possible. This is to
minimize the impacts of bandwidth limitations during play.
• Image size should normally be less than 1280 x 720 pixels. This is so that prior to window scaling,
the image can fit upon the screen of most clients.
• Image format is suggested to be JPEG.

FullCtrl88
April 21st, 2020, 02:04
1) I'm going to have to say no on this. Or I have not found a way to do it at least.
Just my theories: A- including too much information on multiple maps could over burden the Fantasy Grounds system, B- not every encounter will be used by the adventuring party and would be an unnecessary use of resources/memory/bandwidth.

2) I upgraded my Castle Ravenloft maps for curse of Strahd 5E. What I did was to open my new map, and the original map beside of it. Then I copied the placement of all the pins onto my new map, after setting the battle grid on it. Any pins that would have linked to an original map, were switched out with a pin pointing to one of my new maps. This left all the pins exactly where they were originally placed, as well as located on my new maps.

Friendly advice, before updating any of your maps
Map / Image Preparation
• Image file sizes should be less than 1 MB each, and much smaller when possible. This is to
minimize the impacts of bandwidth limitations during play.
• Image size should normally be less than 1280 x 720 pixels. This is so that prior to window scaling,
the image can fit upon the screen of most clients.
• Image format is suggested to be JPEG.

Thanks for all that. is there any way to trace back to everywhere that links to the image/map in question?

Fear Grounds
April 21st, 2020, 02:15
Thanks for all that. is there any way to trace back to everywhere that links to the image/map in question?

These locations will be in the Story section that the original map is actually intended for. You can even link your new maps in place of the originals in the story, so you don't even have to remember to pull up different maps, as they are linked right there for you.