PDA

View Full Version : viewing xml in other ways

greowhiste
March 2nd, 2007, 19:09
So a friend of mine and I have two macs, and we really love FG enough to have acquired a few PCs to play on, but we can only do that every so often. My friend has downloaded a module, The Temple of Mysteries, but is away this weekend without access to a PC. He has the files, and he has his macintosh, and obviously FG isn't built for Mac, but i was wondering if there was a way to just view the text portions of the prepared campaign so that he can just read through it to prepare for next week when he's going to start running the game (and will have access to a PC then, obviously). All of the images can be seen (as in the maps and the tokens), but what he's really looking for is a way to familiarize himself with the module without having FG hooked up.

thanks for any help you can provide!

Malovech
March 2nd, 2007, 19:13
All he really needs is any kind of text editor. Dreamweaver, Notepad, TextPad, something that can read and write text files. Then he would need to open the campaign's db.xml file to edit

greowhiste
March 2nd, 2007, 19:45
he's not really interested in editing quite yet. I can indeed open the db.xml file now in TextEdit, but it opens in a very very long strain of files. Is this the only way to view it? can only the body text be viewed, without all of the coding?

Thanks, this helps so much already!

Malovech
March 2nd, 2007, 20:11
he's not really interested in editing quite yet. I can indeed open the db.xml file now in TextEdit, but it opens in a very very long strain of files. Is this the only way to view it? can only the body text be viewed, without all of the coding?

Thanks, this helps so much already!

Unfortunately, yes, because all of the campaign, NPC and character data is stored in db.xml (set between <formattedtext> tags). To my knowledge no one has built a friendly version just for editing stories/NPC etc.

greowhiste
March 2nd, 2007, 20:22
thanks so much, this will have to do then!