PDA

View Full Version : Starting Characterpoints w. a new Campaign?

Honken
April 19th, 2020, 20:14
I am quite new to GURPS. I have read, GURPS since late 3e, but I have recently introduced my face to face group to the system.

And I am wondering how many Character Points is your standard when you start a new Campaign?

/H

seycyrus
April 19th, 2020, 21:01
150 points is the standard for me. Sword and Sorcery type stuff. That's a fairly gritty, lower magic type campaign.

Gigermann
April 19th, 2020, 21:36
150 is the official starting point level. You can get a pretty competent character at that level, if you specialize, and are very efficient.

Honken
April 19th, 2020, 21:46
Yes, 150 points is the official starting point level. Having introduced some new players into GURPS, we did use 100 point characters. First because it doesn't overwhelm newbies with stuff, and i have always liked the "accidental hero" kind of story.

This is kind of a "checking what you veterans use"... kind of deal.

Gigermann
April 19th, 2020, 23:14
This is kind of a "checking what you veterans use"... kind of deal.In that case, I think 175 is more common for us, unless we're talking DF/Action (which has the 250 starting point)

ronnke
April 20th, 2020, 04:01
150pts is generally my preferred starting points, but it's very dependant on the genre you want to play. Most of the GURPS genre books have chapter on starting point levels.

Jaxilon
April 20th, 2020, 04:46
I've always used 150 points however when I converted to Gurps 4E they came out closer to 185. They had played a few times so they had some added points so I'd say the 175 mentioned by Gigerman is probably pretty accurate.

Also, I believe it does make a difference based on what your players want from the game. Some of us really enjoy the challenge of surviving at lower power.