PDA

View Full Version : Runequest Classic (RQ II) CoreRPG

Blackfoot
April 18th, 2020, 18:27
So.. with everything that's happened with FG since the BRP Ruleset came out.. and everything that's happened at Chaosium with regards to BRP and Runequest..
I reopened my RQ CoreRPG project and puttered with it while those COVID thing had me hiding out at home.

I pulled together a few things and it is coming along nicely.

Here are some screenshots of the current version.

damned
April 19th, 2020, 02:14
Nice work Blackfoot. Looking really good.

Blackfoot
April 19th, 2020, 20:06
I have experience pretty much working at this point.. there are a couple of little tweaks that I need to track down but generally speaking... it works as follows...
When you successfully use a skill (weapon attack, weapon parry, general skills, or defense) you get a tick in the box next to that skill..
After the adventure is completed, the GM can push a 'Downtime' (I might change the name of that if I can find a more appropriate identifier) rest..
Then and only then can the PCs click the roll buttons next to their skill ticks to see if they successfully learn from XP.
This clears the tick and the process begins again on the new adventure.
I have not yet set up Characteristic XP.. but I expect it to function similarly.

Other things that are yet to do:
- Damage needs to be applied to hit locations.
- While I'm doing Damage Bonus calculations already.. I haven't linked them up with actual weapon damage yet... both for PCs and NPCs.
- There is some stuff with Strike Ranks that I still need to resolve.. I'm not completely clear on how I'm going to make that all work..
Generally, I expect the GM will do what he does in a normal game...
-- ask the PCs for their statement of intent each round ..
-- then set the strike ranks accordingly ..
-- then begin the round.
I'm going to put the Base Strike Rank info in the Attack Frame for each actor on the Combat Tracker... so the GM should have at least some idea what these numbers should be at a glance.
The stat blocks for monsters are a bit inconsistent between various sources so parsing scenarios is going to be a little tricky for NPC setups. Each attack generally has a Strike Rank listed.. but they are not always listed in the same place in the attack line.. I'm considering pulling the SR out of the text and listing it as a separate item.. it should make the parsing easier for the attack line code.. but more of a pain for GM setup.. but since that looks like it might need to be done manually anyway... it might not be that big a deal.
- I'm going to set up resting in 2 hour increments to allow for POW recovery during play an adventure. I think this means there will be maybe 3 or 4 different sorts of 'rest'.. what those end up being exactly isn't completely clear..
-- Downtime (1 week) (100% POW, +1HP recovered, Training/Exp Allowed)
-- Full Day's Rest (recovers 100% of POW)
-- 2 Hour Rest (recovers 1/12th of POW) Maybe should be 4 hours?
-- 'Short Rest' (to clear Battle Magic effects - 1-5 minutes??)

Blackfoot
April 22nd, 2020, 16:40
OK... so Spell Resistance Rolls and Power XP are working now.
There are 2 big things on the plate.
-- Parrying.
-- Applying Damage to Hit Locations.
OK... so I set up parry as a second line under the weapon, and you can have multiple parries per round so I've started to take that into account.
The question is.. how exactly are they going to work?
Ideally it should go something like this...
-- The attacker rolls to hit.
-- The defender rolls to parry.
-- The attacker rolls damage.
-- The AP from the parrying weapon/shield reduce the damage. (The AI should be smart enough to know that that particular attack was parried)
-- Damage is applied to the parrying weapon if appropriate.
There is also the added complexity of crit/special/fumble logic on both sides.
Shields and Weapons have number the tracker should recognize for the purposes of blocking this damage..
I think I probably just need a 'turned on' flag to note that that amount of AP is being applied to the damage.

So after all that parrying happens.. if any of it remains then the damage actually reaches armor and hit locations.
Currently I have the hit location roll automatically firing on a hit. The tricky bit seems to be that you can adjust this number based on how many strike ranks you delay in the combat round.
I currently don't really have a good idea as to how to handle this.

damned
April 23rd, 2020, 01:45
Putting Covid19 to good use!

Myrdin Potter
April 23rd, 2020, 06:51
Runequest 2e was my first RPG after D&D/AD&D and we played for years. I would probably start running it again if there were a working ruleset and this looks close.

Elihu
April 25th, 2020, 07:24
Blackfoot,
First of all thank you for working on this, I'm trying to start a RQG campaign currently I'm setting it up in Morecore, Using/editing the Mythros Character sheet someone else made. I have some ideas, just firing off the hip, what if you just let the players and GM manage SR, in Morecore players can enter their init(SR) themselves and it auto adjust them on the CT, that way the GM has less micro management. Also I know what you were saying about the hit location sometimes being chosen, its the Aimed Blow option, i.e. you wait till the 12th strike rank, trade speed for accuracy basically. As for how automated you decide to go with this, my advice FWIW, is to error on the side of flexibility, RQ GM's are all over the place with rule variants. I have many ideas on how to make this rule system great. I'm also really good at making NPC data entry, stat blocks and tables, although I am ignorant of scripting on FG, that is my way of saying please hit me up if you want to talk on Discord and discuss options. I have time to invest to the community.

Again TYVM for working on this.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2020, 11:08
Looking good Blackfoot.

Are you planning on sharing this with the community at some point?

Blackfoot
April 25th, 2020, 19:01
Once it is in a more playable state... I think so.

Blackfoot
April 25th, 2020, 19:39
Blackfoot,
First of all thank you for working on this, I'm trying to start a RQG campaign currently I'm setting it up in Morecore, Using/editing the Mythros Character sheet someone else made. I have some ideas, just firing off the hip, what if you just let the players and GM manage SR, in Morecore players can enter their init(SR) themselves and it auto adjust them on the CT, that way the GM has less micro management. Also I know what you were saying about the hit location sometimes being chosen, its the Aimed Blow option, i.e. you wait till the 12th strike rank, trade speed for accuracy basically. As for how automated you decide to go with this, my advice FWIW, is to error on the side of flexibility, RQ GM's are all over the place with rule variants. I have many ideas on how to make this rule system great. I'm also really good at making NPC data entry, stat blocks and tables, although I am ignorant of scripting on FG, that is my way of saying please hit me up if you want to talk on Discord and discuss options. I have time to invest to the community.

Again TYVM for working on this.My goal, generally, is to add enough automation so that games run quickly and easily. Especially for the more complex 'numbers' part of the game.
In RQ the initial part of the combat round is 'Statement of Intent' so the PC (and GM) decides each round how they are going to act. I don't really see any other way around it other than to have the GM manually set Strike Ranks for all participants, I can pick up some basics from previous rounds... and I can set 'default' SRs for NPCs based on range, spell, or melee.. but all that will flow and change during the Statement of Intent as PCs and NPCs react to the situation and change their actions.

I would like to have it automatically do calculations for ranged attacks.. so it pops up the 2nd and possibly 3rd ranged attack for archers automatically.. if that's what mode they are in.. but spells can tweak that so.. I'll have to figure what to do there.

Elihu
April 26th, 2020, 00:21
Yes, that sounds groovy, I totally agree with the way you describe how a round works. My point was that in Morecore, the players can adjust where they are in the order in the combat tracker, idk if that is possible in BRPG system. Either way it’s a small matter.

Blackfoot
April 26th, 2020, 00:27
Yes, that sounds groovy, I totally agree with the way you describe how a round works. My point was that in Morecore, the players can adjust where they are in the order in the combat tracker, idk if that is possible in BRPG system. Either way it’s a small matter.Oh.. yeah.
It's just a matter of entering the strike rank number.
I have it set up to sort from low to high and by dex as a secondary.. as per the rules.

Blackfoot
April 26th, 2020, 17:20
So.. obviously multiple attacks don't really work the same as in 3.5.. you really just "can't" make more than one attack at a time unless you are a creature of some sort with a special ability to do something like that... so for a PC... multi-attacks really means splitting attacks... and in this case.. it's nice to have a simple way to divide up your numbers and make rolls from the divided values.
I've been fiddling with the 3.5 multiple attacks feature and some of the logic is useful... but.. the FULL ATTACK ROLL portion is something I need to remove. The 4 boxes probably can stay...
So.. I'm thinking that if you open the weapon editor.. and put a value in the 1st box.. that should reduce your attack by that amount... and add it to the second box... if you put a value in the second box.. it should add that to the 3rd... assuming you have at least 50+ to divide among these boxes... for a 4th box you need 200% skill at least ... which the graphics and structure are set up to handle... so I think I'll take it out that far and call it good.
If you put a value that is UNDER 50 in any of the boxes.. I think I'll just negate the entry and leave it alone.
All of this structure gets duplicated for parries of course.

Elihu
May 1st, 2020, 23:30
Blackfoot,
How goes the project? Is this going to be a mod? or a rule-set we can purchase? Are you eventually sharing it with the community?

damned
May 2nd, 2020, 02:53
Blackfoot regarding rounds/init order in Runequest (which i know nothing about) Celestian shared some code that allows you to reorder entries in a list via drag and drop. It might be something that could work for you.

Blackfoot
May 2nd, 2020, 13:27
The tracker order is working fine for me.

Blackfoot
May 2nd, 2020, 15:31
How crazy would it be to create a 'Statement of Intent' window.. that popped up on round start with all the potential combat options listed and you just check off the ones you intend to use.
►Move + <movement>sr
►Cast a spell - + DEX sr
►Draw my <weapon> or <missile> + 5 sr
►Fire a Missile with my <weapon> + DEX sr
►Make a Melee Attack with my <weapon> + DEX sr + SIZ sr + <weapon> sr
So.. I 'could' make it so that this popped up for each player and the GM each round... or just the GM...
Hmm.. assuming that the player or monster did 'the same thing' it would default to the previous settings... so then a simple 'accept' would be clicked... otherwise they would tick off the appropriate check boxes..

Elihu
May 2nd, 2020, 19:58
How crazy would it be to create a 'Statement of Intent' window.. that popped up on round start with all the potential combat options listed and you just check off the ones you intend to use.
►Move + <movement>sr
►Cast a spell - + DEX sr
►Draw my <weapon> or <missile> + 5 sr
►Fire a Missile with my <weapon> + DEX sr
►Make a Melee Attack with my <weapon> + DEX sr + SIZ sr + <weapon> sr
So.. I 'could' make it so that this popped up for each player and the GM each round... or just the GM...
Hmm.. assuming that the player or monster did 'the same thing' it would default to the previous settings... so then a simple 'accept' would be clicked... otherwise they would tick off the appropriate check boxes..

It's a clever endeavor, can you make one that's 'custom' or 'special'. There is really no way to cover every permeation of player creativity so the custom one would be for those things where they 'think outside the box'.

Elihu
May 2nd, 2020, 20:38
One other thing you should be aware of is that movement is not always added to SR, it definitely matters if you are moving into an already existing melee, however if say, My character moves into an enemy that is not engaged with anyone, and we engage in melee combat, any movement I made to close with them is not compared to my enemies SR, it would only be weapon, DEX, etc. not movement.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, its often overlooked subject.

Also is the statement of intent you are proposing going to be revealed by all simultaneously? That would be amazing! Because, the order in which people submit their statement of intent does matter, some player's statements would be very different depending on what others do.

Blackfoot
May 3rd, 2020, 00:41
It really depends on how I set it up. Side chatter between players obviously would allow them to plan their actions regardless of the reveal... if the GM were entering all of the info, again the order that the GM collected the data would make some adjustment to it.. if everyone enters their own data.. there's some plus and minus there.. as the less technical players might screw it up.. but it takes some work off the hands of the GM. Regardless, the GM will have the ability to change the results at any time so.. there will be room for flexibility.
As far as a 'custom' option goes.. obviously I was just listing some of the options.. 'delay' or 'aim' are other ones that would be there with somewhat flexible amount of SRs.

Blackfoot
May 3rd, 2020, 01:39
With regards to combat movement... combat doesn't really start until someone can begin to take some sort of combat action.. cast a spell, shoot a missile, swing a weapon, make some other sort of attack... if none of those things are happening.. then there are no strike ranks. My experience was that this rarely became an issue because combat almost always starts with spell casting and ranged attacks so strike ranks usually begin right away... in which case.. movement time (sr) matters.

Elihu
May 3rd, 2020, 05:29
With regards to combat movement... combat doesn't really start until someone can begin to take some sort of combat action.. cast a spell, shoot a missile, swing a weapon, make some other sort of attack... if none of those things are happening.. then there are no strike ranks. My experience was that this rarely became an issue because combat almost always starts with spell casting and ranged attacks so strike ranks usually begin right away... in which case.. movement time (sr) matters.

Oh yes of course movement SR matters. That’s not what I was trying to say. The example I gave was a Creature not engaged in melee moving to an enemy creature not in melee. In this case when you compare SR between them the movement is not penalizing either one, this is assuming that after adding the movement SR to all remaining SR does not exceed 12, if it does that specific attack happens in the following round.

Elihu
May 3rd, 2020, 05:33
It really depends on how I set it up. Side chatter between players obviously would allow them to plan their actions regardless of the reveal... if the GM were entering all of the info, again the order that the GM collected the data would make some adjustment to it.. if everyone enters their own data.. there's some plus and minus there.. as the less technical players might screw it up.. but it takes some work off the hands of the GM. Regardless, the GM will have the ability to change the results at any time so.. there will be room for flexibility.
As far as a 'custom' option goes.. obviously I was just listing some of the options.. 'delay' or 'aim' are other ones that would be there with somewhat flexible amount of SRs.
Good stuff, and players are also able to alter their intent for +5 SR cost.

Blackfoot
May 3rd, 2020, 14:17
Puttered a bit with the minisheet then scrapped it altogether.. seems like a waste of effort. I could be convinced otherwise... but for now it's gone.

Blackfoot
May 3rd, 2020, 18:26
Now if someone wanted to put together a really cool bronze age Runequest 'theme' that'd be kinda awesome... I'd do it.. but.. kinda focused on other things.

Blackfoot
May 4th, 2020, 08:20
Good stuff, and players are also able to alter their intent for +5 SR cost.I'm not familiar with this rule .. are you talking about Runequest Classic or some other version?
If so.. can you reference where that rule is located?

Elihu
May 4th, 2020, 11:10
I'm not familiar with this rule .. are you talking about Runequest Classic or some other version?
If so.. can you reference where that rule is located?
Page 193 strike rank modifiers, 2nd row, prep weapon, reload, spell, ready missile.
In most cases, it’s accounting for changing what you are using, change weapon, prep a missile fire weapon, or prep a spell, or things that were not originally in your statement of intent. See page 194 top left, for spell or ranged, see pg 194 left column under preparing or changing a weapon or tool.

Example: my PC SoI was to charge a troll with pike, before I hit him, he downs my ally with an awesome blow, I can forgo my SoI and heal(spirit magic) ally with spell, but it cost me an extra 5 SR above and beyond the SR of moving to him and casting. Essentially I am taxed an extra 5 SR. So 5 + movement to ally + spells magic points -1 (+boosting magic points)+ DEX SR. One note, let Creatures change things in their hands during their movement so e.g. I could drop my pike and pull out a focus, if I was moving 15 meters or more (5 SR).

Elihu
May 4th, 2020, 11:16
Now if someone wanted to put together a really cool bronze age Runequest 'theme' that'd be kinda awesome... I'd do it.. but.. kinda focused on other things.

I would do this if I knew how, I would use the picture on page 100 of RQG. It’s beautiful.

Blackfoot
May 4th, 2020, 11:25
There aren't 193 pages in the book.. so.. I'm confused. :)

The rules from page 17 say...
1. FIRST PHASE
STATEMENT OF INTENT - The players and referee formally state what their respective participants in the melee will be doing. During the course of this melee round the intentions may be aborted (OK, since the troll ducked out the door, I won’t shoot an arrow at him) but not altered (OK, since the troll ducked out the door, I’ll shoot at the Dragonewt).

So you can abort an action but cannot change them.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2020, 11:28
There aren't 193 pages in the book.. so.. I'm confused. :)
The new Runequest - Roleplaying in Glorantha

Blackfoot
May 4th, 2020, 11:33
That's not what this thread is talking about...
This ruleset is for Runequest Classic. (RQII)

Trenloe
May 4th, 2020, 11:51
Thanks for clarifying. That's never really been specified in this thread. I've updated the thread title so that there's no more confusion.

Elihu
May 4th, 2020, 20:05

Yo Blackfoot, have you looked at RQG, do you mind me asking why you are sticking to RQ2?

Myrdin Potter
May 4th, 2020, 20:54
Yo Blackfoot, have you looked at RQG, do you mind me asking why you are sticking to RQ2?

I started with Runequest 2 and ran a campaign in it for years and years. I have not bought the various other versions that came out and I assume that Blackfoot likes that edition as well and that is what he chose to spend his time on.

Blackfoot
May 5th, 2020, 14:27
Yo Blackfoot, have you looked at RQG, do you mind me asking why you are sticking to RQ2?When I'm done, it shouldn't be too hard for someone who is interested in another version of the game to adapt it/modify it for whatever version they like... assuming that I can sort out all the issues for the version I'm working on.
These are the rules I know and have been using for the last 40 years.. the ones I'd like to see accessible through FG.
Building a ruleset is complicated enough.

Elihu
May 5th, 2020, 18:25
Blackfoot, how long will it take you, what's your estimated date of completion?

Blackfoot
May 6th, 2020, 01:14
There are a few critical elements that don't work so I'm not really sure.

Blackfoot
May 15th, 2020, 17:00
So.. I've gotten pretty bogged down with this Statement of Intent window.
It's going to work something like this.. but it's not really finished yet.
Having some issues with getting the data stored where I want it to go.. ideally I want it to store in with the combattracker data for each actor... but it's wanting to store it separately which creates some other problems... but.. in general it is coming together.. slowly.

Elihu
May 15th, 2020, 22:57
So.. I've gotten pretty bogged down with this Statement of Intent window.
It's going to work something like this.. but it's not really finished yet.
Having some issues with getting the data stored where I want it to go.. ideally I want it to store in with the combattracker data for each actor... but it's wanting to store it separately which creates some other problems... but.. in general it is coming together.. slowly.

Use a skill?
Other?

Blackfoot
May 16th, 2020, 14:55
Since 'use a skill' isn't a combat action with an actual strike rank definition as per the rules.. it would fall into an 'other' category... currently the 'delay' box would handle any of that as it's just a generic value that can be set to whatever you like.
The real issue at the moment is making it actually work.

Blackfoot
May 21st, 2020, 23:05
So my Statement of Intent window is coming along.. still not completely working but looking a lot better in general.
Still have maybe a dozen or so critical issues that need to be resolved.

Blackfoot
May 24th, 2020, 01:42
Blackfoot regarding rounds/init order in Runequest (which i know nothing about) Celestian shared some code that allows you to reorder entries in a list via drag and drop. It might be something that could work for you.

What code is this you were talking about? I don't think it would help me with the CT directly.. but it could help with reordering the SOI window.
I seem to remember Celestian commenting in this thread but I can't find it now.. I'm feeling like I responded rather rude and dismissively in a fit of frustration with whatever was going on at the time.. but I can't seem to find that either... starting to wonder if I might have been having some sort of bad dream now...

damned
May 24th, 2020, 03:03
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54664-AD-amp-D-Ruleset-updates-coming&p=483415&viewfull=1#post483415

Blackfoot
May 24th, 2020, 03:11
Cool. I see what he's doing there.. I think I can do something like that for my list as well.

Azaran
May 28th, 2020, 19:39
This is awesome Blackfoot. we await your work of art with baited breath, and it's a hell of a lot better than my go at the RQ2 extension! :)

Az.

Blackfoot
June 14th, 2020, 05:02
So .. when dealing with the matter of damage.. things get kinda complex.
In a FtF game it's a simple matter.
Make 4 dice rolls apply the appropriate mathematics.. and notate the damage on the sheet.
The trick for FG is that all those rolls need to remember each other.
I roll my attack.. depending on how well I roll.. my damage can change.
You roll your parry.. depending on how well you roll.. my attack can change.. plus I can do damage to your weapon... and my damage can change.
I roll hit location.. the result can be adjusted by delayed strike ranks.
THEN I roll damage .. it might be a special.. or a crit.. depending on the attack and parry results.. we subtract the weapon/shield/armor that applies to the location.. and apply the damage to the location... and to total HP (assuming it is not beyond the limits for the limb)

OK.. not so simple.

Options...
In a video game.. the rolls would all be automatic. I choose to swing the opponent automatically tries to parry.. the results are calculated.. I might be able to try and swing for the head... or not but that'd be a slight tweak to the interface leaning up on the controller or something. So.. we could make it automatic... but.. the player might want to have the option to parry with sword or shield.. perfectly reasonable and part of the game.. we could have an 'equipped' parry.. so the interface knows which weapon to parry with.
Currently the location roll is being handled automatically on a successful hit. You hit.. it rolls a d20 and tells you the location for the target based on his hit locations.. that doesn't allow for delaying and adjusting.. I need some sort of interface for showing which location was rolled and a range that it can be changed by based on the 'delay' in the SOI.. and then and interface for making that change.
OK.. so now we have a hit and parry.. and a location.. the damage part should be straight forward.. roll the damage subtract the weapon/shield/armor for that location from the roll and apply the damage to the location.

Hrm.
Do players want to roll their OWN parry rolls? Probably. What does THAT look like.. Attack roll... ugh.. I can't think about it anymore.

Myrdin Potter
June 14th, 2020, 05:06
Players like to roll their own saving throws in D&D but that is all automated by the system instead.

I suggest that somethings you should just make it done by the system. You parry - then the system does it.

You can always manually override if needed, better to make the programming more simple where possible.

damned
June 14th, 2020, 06:50
Make 4 dice rolls apply the appropriate mathematics.. and notate the damage on the sheet.
You roll your parry.. depending on how well you roll.. my attack can change.. plus I can do damage to your weapon... and my damage can change.
THEN I roll damage .. it might be a special.. or a crit.. depending on the attack and parry results.. we subtract the weapon/shield/armor that applies to the location.. and apply the damage to the location... and to total HP (assuming it is not beyond the limits for the limb)

OK.. not so simple.

Options...
In a video game.. the rolls would all be automatic. I choose to swing the opponent automatically tries to parry.. the results are calculated.. I might be able to try and swing for the head... or not but that'd be a slight tweak to the interface leaning up on the controller or something. So.. we could make it automatic... but.. the player might want to have the option to parry with sword or shield.. perfectly reasonable and part of the game.. we could have an 'equipped' parry.. so the interface knows which weapon to parry with.
Currently the location roll is being handled automatically on a successful hit. You hit.. it rolls a d20 and tells you the location for the target based on his hit locations.. that doesn't allow for delaying and adjusting.. I need some sort of interface for showing which location was rolled and a range that it can be changed by based on the 'delay' in the SOI.. and then and interface for making that change.
OK.. so now we have a hit and parry.. and a location.. the damage part should be straight forward.. roll the damage subtract the weapon/shield/armor for that location from the roll and apply the damage to the location.

Hrm.
Do players want to roll their OWN parry rolls? Probably. What does THAT look like.. Attack roll... ugh.. I can't think about it anymore.

If players enjoy the slower to and fro of that style of combat then working out a way to do this would be great.
If its part of the game but is really a drag then perhaps automating those rolls might be better?

If you want to support it, one way to do it is to create additional fields on the CS/CT. You make your first roll and you store the roll result or the degree of success etc in the first field (if its only one at a time you could actually store the degree of success in the Mod window). Then roll the second roll manually and reference the first field, or Modifier, and declare the result or repeat, storing it in the second field or Modifier.

Azaran
June 15th, 2020, 16:51

OK.. not so simple.

Options...

Hrm.

I was actually talking about this very thing in the main core update to BRP. The way it should work is this:

Target and roll attack.

Attack roll is base roll a special or a critical, if so it hits, else add target defence to roll result, still rolls under then it's a hit, if not, defence saved (would be good to have a visual of the defence save so that the GM can advise the player to tick their defence. Store success result to a variable with the auto roll for hit locations (saw you have this covered).

Next, allow target to Parry (even if a miss because they can do damage to the attacker's weapon. If attack was a special or critical, target must score a special or critical on parry in order to parry. I would suggest leaving this to the GM and player to work out themselves to be honest, as it's fun and they should have declared who they were going to parry at the start of the round (though i think that's a house rule of mine.. after 30 years i've forgotten lol).

Next, if they havent ignored and moved on because of a successful Parry, the attacker should roll damage and it should apply to the location roll, armor absorbs unless a critical and ignore any further damage past twice the hitpoints of the limb as this would be severed and can take no more damage. the full damage that the limb took up to negative maximum should then be taken added to max wounds.

Hope that makes sense and isnt too much babble OMG i'm excited for this ruleset :D

BTW, if you need testers let me know. I have a group of runequest 2 veterans gagging for the ruleset :P

smokebadger
July 2nd, 2020, 10:11
I cant wait for this, I currently run RQG on roll 20 as FG has terrible support and we use the BTP gold book rule 1D10 + dex as tracking individual strike ranks slows the game down so much. Cant wait to test this with my players in gringles pawnshop

Azaran
July 3rd, 2020, 00:07
I cant wait for this, I currently run RQG on roll 20 as FG has terrible support and we use the BTP gold book rule 1D10 + dex as tracking individual strike ranks slows the game down so much. Cant wait to test this with my players in gringles pawnshop

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59644-Runequest-for-BRP-Updated-character-sheet-extensions&p=523446#post523446

This should give you a reasonable working character sheet for BRP in Fantasy Grounds for RQG.

I've also put in a RQ2 character sheet until Blackfoot is ready to release this marvelous extension :D

Azaran.

smokebadger
July 3rd, 2020, 10:03
Thanks Azatan

Bifford
July 3rd, 2020, 23:48
How much work would it be to create a (Mongoose) Legend version, which is similar to RQii>

Blackfoot
July 4th, 2020, 01:18
By my estimation.. quite a bit.

Phocaea
July 8th, 2020, 23:13
Naive question alert

Azaran and Blackfoot: are these projects BRP connected? Do i need to buy the rulesset or do they work through Core?

Thanks in advance

damned
July 9th, 2020, 00:39
Azarans will require BRP.
Blackfoots is a completely new ruleset.

Phocaea
July 9th, 2020, 02:56
Ahhh thanks. Im kind of down on BRP for - as I understand it - doing so little on updating it, but still charging a premium. I guess waiting makes more sense

damned
July 9th, 2020, 03:16
BRP did get updated recently Im pretty sure.

Blackfoot
July 9th, 2020, 04:36
My project is a complete ruleset but it's going to be a while. Back at work now so not a lot of time for fiddling about with programming.

stark
October 29th, 2020, 23:17
Just dropping in to give Blackfoot a big thumbs up, nice to see progress on the ruleset since we played a few years back in the testing

Blackfoot
October 29th, 2020, 23:31
Just dropping in to give Blackfoot a big thumbs up, nice to see progress on the ruleset since we played a few years back in the testing

Not sure that I recognize your handle there stark... as to the ruleset.. since going back to work after the covid scare I haven't had a lot of extra time for the project.

stark
October 29th, 2020, 23:41
Not sure that I recognize your handle there stark... as to the ruleset.. since going back to work after the covid scare I haven't had a lot of extra time for the project.

Well it was 2013!

Anafear
December 9th, 2020, 21:49
Just found this. Will follow for sure!

Blackfoot
January 1st, 2021, 22:42
Pulled this out again today as I was laid up with nothing to do but nurse some back trouble.
I'm not even sure where the ruleset is currently as far as completion goes. It 'looks' like the key elements are pretty far along.. but.. there are probably a ton of little issues left to resolve.

My intention was/is to release this as a community ruleset... it overlaps BRP and Call of Cthulu in some ways.. but is basically for a different, largely extinct, game.

If someone wanted to run a test campaign using the ruleset.. I'd be willing to release the current version to them provided they were able to provide me with detailed bug reports and feature suggestions. This might be a terrible idea.. as I'm not 100% sure anymore what's working and what's not.. (I'm pretty sure armor and location damage aren't working right on the tracker).. but anyone who is up for it.. let me know.

Myrdin Potter
January 1st, 2021, 22:45
I want to run Apple Lane for my play group. This was the rules edition we used to play and that was the very first adventure we ran.

Phocaea
January 2nd, 2021, 00:14
I’d have a go. I’ll set up a scenario and see how it plays. Thanks man

Blackfoot
January 8th, 2021, 13:32
Looked over the ruleset and there are some relatively serious things that still don't work.

The Attack Line for NPCs.. and parrying in general..
as far as NPC parries go.. I'm trying to figure how to make it work.. there seems to have been no fixed 'Stat Block' for RQ2.. sometimes (like in Apple Lane) the Stat Block came through like this:
Weapon Name (damage) attack% SR sr# Parry (HP) parry%
Sometimes it came through more like this (like in Pavis):
Weapon Name sr# attack% damage parry% hp#

My plan is to make it work like this:
Weapon Name attack% (damage) SR sr# parry% (HP)
I think.. at least that's sorta how it's working at the moment... although the second half of that isn't working at all... (the SR and parry bit)
I'm wondering if it might be better to actually pull it apart a bit.. rather than have it as a single line separated by semicolons or 'or' like in 3.5... I'm can't remember how this line works in BRP... if it even has that sort of thing.

Mac77
July 14th, 2021, 09:45
My goal, generally, is to add enough automation so that games run quickly and easily. Especially for the more complex 'numbers' part of the game.
In RQ the initial part of the combat round is 'Statement of Intent' so the PC (and GM) decides each round how they are going to act. I don't really see any other way around it other than to have the GM manually set Strike Ranks for all participants, I can pick up some basics from previous rounds... and I can set 'default' SRs for NPCs based on range, spell, or melee.. but all that will flow and change during the Statement of Intent as PCs and NPCs react to the situation and change their actions.

I would like to have it automatically do calculations for ranged attacks.. so it pops up the 2nd and possibly 3rd ranged attack for archers automatically.. if that's what mode they are in.. but spells can tweak that so.. I'll have to figure what to do there.

This looks very promising indeed. Great work.

Mac77
July 17th, 2021, 23:45
Hello, I recently downloaded the runequest extension, does it work and where do you put the files if it does? Many thanks.