PDA

View Full Version : Moving LOS lines from one map to another

avitale34
April 18th, 2020, 18:04
Hello everyone sorry relatively new here, is there a way to move LOS lines from one map to another?

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2020, 20:00
Not sure what you are trying to do. You may wish to expand on what you are attempting.

(First of course is that both maps need to be identical in every way - so the main question would be why do you need to do this since the original already has the LoS on it).

avitale34
April 18th, 2020, 21:10
Not sure what you are trying to do. You may wish to expand on what you are attempting.

(First of course is that both maps need to be identical in every way - so the main question would be why do you need to do this since the original already has the LoS on it).

I have been drawing the LOS lines directly onto the DOTMM FG provided maps. However they lack alot of detail and I found some more detailed color maps online. They are identical in 98% of the LOS needed. So I am wondering if it is possible to take the LOS from one Map and put it onto another? I originally tired just layering it on top of the other image, but that proved to be too much data in one image.

StoryWeaver
April 18th, 2020, 21:24
1) Add the new image (map) from your Assets to your images. This creates a db.xml entry for that image for your campaign.
2) Close down FGU. If you don't do this first, it will overwrite you manual edits as FG saves on close.
3) Modify the db.xml file (make a copy first) to change the reference link for the image used. Look at the entries for the images and how the LOS entries are added (not checked yet myself). Copy these entries to the new image.
This works for moving pins between images, so I'd expect one could accomplish it similarly for LOS entries.
4) Start FGU with the edited db.xml file. That should be it.

ps. If the images have different dimensions however, everything will be out of place.

avitale34
April 18th, 2020, 22:41
1) Add the new image (map) from your Assets to your images. This creates a db.xml entry for that image for your campaign.
2) Close down FGU. If you don't do this first, it will overwrite you manual edits as FG saves on close.
3) Modify the db.xml file (make a copy first) to change the reference link for the image used. Look at the entries for the images and how the LOS entries are added (not checked yet myself). Copy these entries to the new image.
This works for moving pins between images, so I'd expect one could accomplish it similarly for LOS entries.
4) Start FGU with the edited db.xml file. That should be it.

ps. If the images have different dimensions however, everything will be out of place.

Thank you for that! Follow up question if I place an image over another image does the bottom layers LOS Lines carry over?