PDA

View Full Version : Can't find my GM's game?

tgraybam
April 18th, 2020, 17:39
I can't find my GM's game in the lobby list. I must be doing something wrong. When he launches FGU, there is no 'Host' button -- he clicks 'Load Campaign'. Has the 'Host Campaign' button turned into a 'Load Campaign' button? Every example I see online and in all the 'how-to' tutorials published by FG, there is a 'Host Campaign' button.

Once he creates a campaign, is there a 'Publish' or 'Finish' button to launch it into the Lobby?

In general, here is our set-up:

We are both in the Live Build category in settings.
He is Loading a Cloud Server, public game.
He has given it a campaign name and a GM name.
I am searching for the name of the Campaign -- not there.
I am searching for the name of the GM -- not there.

So how do I join?

This must be very basic, I am sorry I am not smart enough to get it work!

-- Tony

LordEntrails
April 18th, 2020, 18:44
Are you both using FGU? Your GM is running a game in FGU. You will not be able to join his game if you are running FGC or if you are running a different Update version of FGU than he is.

AranMull
April 18th, 2020, 20:51
Hi Tony:

I am really new to FG as well but from setting up a game as a GM< for my group here are a couple of things that came up for me and may help in your situation.

My understanding is that "GM Name" in the campaign set-up is just the name that will be displayed while running the campaign. (I.e., in the chat box.) To find his games you will have to search for the name he/she uses here in the forums (their FG Account name). That is what my players did.

Second - unless your GM is logged in and has the campaign loaded on their computer the game won't show up and no one will be able to log in. The "cloud" designation does not mean that the game is being hosted on the cloud. It is still (and AFAIK always) hosted on the GM's computer. The "Cloud" is just the connection mechanism and it will only display a connection option if the game is active on the GM's computer.

Hope that helps.
Aran

tgraybam
April 18th, 2020, 21:27
Hi Tony:

I am really new to FG as well but from setting up a game as a GM< for my group here are a couple of things that came up for me and may help in your situation.

My understanding is that "GM Name" in the campaign set-up is just the name that will be displayed while running the campaign. (I.e., in the chat box.) To find his games you will have to search for the name he/she uses here in the forums (their FG Account name). That is what my players did.

Second - unless your GM is logged in and has the campaign loaded on their computer the game won't show up and no one will be able to log in. The "cloud" designation does not mean that the game is being hosted on the cloud. It is still (and AFAIK always) hosted on the GM's computer. The "Cloud" is just the connection mechanism and it will only display a connection option if the game is active on the GM's computer.

Hope that helps.
Aran

Hi Aran...

That's it!

It is confusing that the "GM Name" in the "Search by GM Name" field that appears when I click "Join Campaign" is not the "GM Name" in the "Campaign Details" pane of window when the GM clicks "Load Campaign". As you say, it is the FG Account name we need. Bingo!

This would be something useful for the developers to note. It is an easy confusion.

It would also be good for them to change the online help documents (and other references) so that they no longer show or refer to a "Host Campaign" button if it has been replaced by a "Load Campaign" button. Of course, I recognize that this is still early access / beta and things are changing frequently. But helping identify these sorts of infelicities is one of the reasons we're here.

Thanks for your help!

-- Tony

damned
April 19th, 2020, 01:49
Hi Guys,

Ive passed that info on - it looks like it might be a hangover from the first networking iteration on FGU.