PDA

View Full Version : GM Dice Rolls showing as shadows. How to turn it off?

Bizmal
April 17th, 2020, 21:15
When I roll it shows the dice rolling as shadows to the players. Which in turn tells the players that something is up. How to I turn it off?

I've found the answer, The shadows cannot be disable? That's crazy to me how can you ever be secret? Many people have offered ways do do it yourself like , roll real dice, roll outside of the chat window. (which works but I cant see the the D4 numbers clearly and it doesnt roll on the table I've created.

Who has a fix for this that allows me to roll my dice in private and use the table Ive created.?

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2020, 21:43
It acts just like a real table; except that instead of your players hearing you roll the dice behind a screen they get a visual. They don't know why you are rolling (unless of course you have show GM rolls on).

Bizmal
April 18th, 2020, 00:05
I understand, negatives, but why would it be brought to the online role playing side of things where you don't have to reveal the dice roll for some thing hidden. Like whispers you don't see the shadow of note being passed. The players don't have to be terribly bright to know the roll means somethings up. By the second roll last night my players matched it up and now avoid the cause.

It is what it is. It's just doesn't seem helpful.

LordEntrails
April 18th, 2020, 00:29
I love it. The players know I'm doing something, but they don't know what. You know, tension.

But if you want the devs to consider a feature, add it to the wishlist, link in Mr Z's siganture.

damned
April 18th, 2020, 01:49
So the issue is your players are meta gaming?
Deal with that - because you can change that - the dice are what they are.

Neovirtus
April 18th, 2020, 04:29
Hey Bizmal, despite other people not thinking you should want this feature, it's clear you do and I think that's fine. We all like to run our games differently, and your way isn't wrong. As was suggested before, the best way to tell the developers that you would like this feature added is to add it to "The Wishlist" as LordEntrails said. The link is here:

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Bizmal
April 18th, 2020, 04:44
Hey Bizmal, despite other people not thinking you should want this feature, it's clear you do and I think that's fine. We all like to run our games differently, and your way isn't wrong. As was suggested before, the best way to tell the developers that you would like this feature added is to add it to "The Wishlist" as LordEntrails said. The link is here:

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Thanks for that. i'll check it out.

Bizmal
April 18th, 2020, 05:49
Never mind I've found a way to do it. Now I can roll my dice in secret. Just like whispering in secret.

Thanks for your help.

TheDarkMantle
April 19th, 2020, 00:08
Never mind I've found a way to do it. Now I can roll my dice in secret. Just like whispering in secret.

Thanks for your help.

If you've found a way to do it, it would be cool to explain how in here so that others that find this thread would know how.

pollux
April 21st, 2020, 04:06
If you've found a way to do it, it would be cool to explain how in here so that others that find this thread would know how.

I would guess rolling outside of chat, where FGU doesn't count it as an official roll but does show you what the die face landed on.

Bizmal
April 23rd, 2020, 22:57
So I was rolling a 1d4 that from a table I had made but I didn't want the players to see the shadow. That's 1 in 4. So instead I had the table roll a 1d16 with the 4 options repeating. Math comes out the same but with no shadow.

Enjoy

pollux
April 24th, 2020, 04:37
So I was rolling a 1d4 that from a table I had made but I didn't want the players to see the shadow. That's 1 in 4. So instead I had the table roll a 1d16 with the 4 options repeating. Math comes out the same but with no shadow.

I don't think this solution has anything to do with tables. I think what you're saying here is that if you use a non-standard die then there's no shadow? So if you want to roll a d20, you'd instead type into the chatbox '/die d40' and then mentally divide by 2 and round the result up... or for whatever die you want to roll you'd pick the next multiple that isn't a standard polygonal die and roll that with the chat command and mentally divide the result down and round up.

Bizmal
April 24th, 2020, 21:07
Yes, it has a lot to do with the tables. I can roll off my table in complete secret and it inputs the result in the chat and only the DM can see it. Then I can drag the text from my result and whisper it to a player. I don't have to do anything other than clicking the dice button on the table. Picking a dice that doesn't exist in the game doesn't have a shadow. Yes

brendude
December 18th, 2020, 03:50
Bumping this idea. If anyone else wants to see this implemented, upvote it here:

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=84459

Weissrolf
December 18th, 2020, 08:51
You can use the "Instant Dice" extension, which turns all click/automation rolls into non 3D rolls and improves uniform distribution and randomness along the way. Rolls that are dragged instead of clicked/automated are still 3D.

TheDarkMantle
December 18th, 2020, 13:25
... improves uniform distribution and randomness along the way.

It can't be both uniform distribution, and random. Randomness is, by definition, not uniform.

damned
December 18th, 2020, 13:45
You can use the "Instant Dice" extension, which turns all click/automation rolls into non 3D rolls and improves uniform distribution and randomness along the way. Rolls that are dragged instead of clicked/automated are still 3D.

It can't be both uniform distribution, and random. Randomness is, by definition, not uniform.

Please no more...

Weissrolf
December 18th, 2020, 13:49
Anyway, Instant Dice removes shadows, because it removes (click/automation) 3D rolls. We can lecture on randomness elsewhere or use a web search engine putting three words together in a single search.

brendude
December 18th, 2020, 14:13

This works thanks! If anyone's interested here it is:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62047-Instant-Dice-Disable-Rolling-Animation

Weissrolf
December 18th, 2020, 14:29
Make sure that you use the "modded" version until the original author updates the original post. Else it will roll the same sequence of numbers every time you restart FGU.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62047-Instant-Dice-Disable-Rolling-Animation&p=561529&viewfull=1#post561529

brendude
December 18th, 2020, 19:59
Make sure that you use the "modded" version until the original author updates the original post. Else it will roll the same sequence of numbers every time you restart FGU.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62047-Instant-Dice-Disable-Rolling-Animation&p=561529&viewfull=1#post561529

Thanks had not noticed! Much appreciated

Jiminimonka
December 19th, 2020, 11:42
Glad you found a "fix" for players meta-gaming.

When you play around a table and roll a dice the players can also meta-game even if they see the DM roll a d20 or d6 or d33. They know you are doing something that they are not supposed to see. It's part of the way the game works. My 2 shillings, not here to de-rail the thread.

Weissrolf
December 19th, 2020, 14:52
Both are ok. At the table I am using the laptop nowadays, though, now using FG, before using Herolab. So I can do rolls on the laptop without anyone noticing. ;)

I mostly like being able to secretly roll on player stats (like skills) and then decide myself if I want to use that roll or give players an advantage despite the roll being bad.