PDA

View Full Version : Feature requests

Dominio
February 22nd, 2007, 15:49
FG is really great, and I've long been waiting for a program like it. There are a few features that I am missing in the application, however.

In particular I think that it should be possible to create such a thing as a "Location" in the campaign database, just like you can create Personalities or Items. You should be able to associate any number of maps or images with a Location, and most importantly, it would be really great if each Location had its own chat channel, and the DM was able to freely move PCs between Locations. The DM would be able to speak in and take on the role of NPCs in all Locations' chat channels, but the PCs would of course only be able to speak in and hear what is said in the Location they are presently in. Interface-wise, it might be as easy for the DM to move a PC to a particular Location as dragging the PCs icon onto the chat window for that Location.

Secondly, it would be great if FG did not just have support for one DM. It would be useful in larger campaigns (especially ones multiple areas where the PCs sometimes get split up in several subgroups and go adventuring independently) if another DM could connect to the main DMs server in client mode. This would also help a lot in cases where several NPCs need to have credible interactions with each other, when one DM could possess one NPC and the other another.

Finally, I would really like the see support for DM sharing of ambient sound effects and music. I know this has been discussed before, I just want to add my name to the list here.

I realize that FG2 is way past the feature freeze at this time, and such major features as these have no chance of making it in unless you have already been planning to add them for a long time and hav in fact already implemented them, but if that's not the case these features could be something to consider for subsequent versions.

Sigurd
February 22nd, 2007, 16:02
Great ideas and different perspective. Nice to see some stretching ideas for the software. Here's my .02.

In particular I think that it should be possible to create such a thing as a "Location" in the campaign database, just like you can create Personalities or Items. You should be able to associate any number of maps or images with a Location, and most importantly, it would be really great if each Location had its own chat channel, and the DM was able to freely move PCs between Locations. The DM would be able to speak in and take on the role of NPCs in all Locations' chat channels, but the PCs would of course only be able to speak in and hear what is said in the Location they are presently in. Interface-wise, it might be as easy for the DM to move a PC to a particular Location as dragging the PCs icon onto the chat window for that Location.

You can do most of this with Modules for each location you want. Loading hte module gives you access to different maps NPC's etc. As far as talking from a particular 'channel' - the dm can right now assign himself any voice lable he wants and the typing will originate from that label.

Secondly, it would be great if FG did not just have support for one DM. It would be useful in larger campaigns (especially ones multiple areas where the PCs sometimes get split up in several subgroups and go adventuring independently) if another DM could connect to the main DMs server in client mode. This would also help a lot in cases where several NPCs need to have credible interactions with each other, when one DM could possess one NPC and the other another.

I suspect that might be a whole different product. The needs of conventions and multiple DM's would create a whole range of support issues and challenges. Don't forget though that in FG you don't have a crush of people to deal with in the same way as face to face. You can have each DM look at all the chatlogs of the previous DM and the players can connect all over the world for a series of DMs.

Finally, I would really like the see support for DM sharing of ambient sound effects and music. I know this has been discussed before, I just want to add my name to the list here.

Sound affects and ambient music has been brought up before. Its a good idea with some wrinkles. I for one would never use it - even online chat disturbes my sleeping family. No sound, just chat for me.

S

greowhiste
February 22nd, 2007, 16:06
I just started using FG and I'm really enjoying it. One of the features i'm not really finding is the ability to perceive the maps in three dimensions. This has always always been one of the biggest problems for the games i've been in as it is ultimately inevitable that some character or creature flies at some point. Envisioning it has always been very difficult and relies on copious notes as opposed to some graphic representation.

I would like to see this feature addressed in FG. I'm not saying it has to be some 3rd person view or anything crazy, I actually quite enjoy the simplicity P&P feel to the game. I also welcome others' suggestions for keeping good track of creatures' position on the Z scale (in the typical overhead view of a map).

Thanks. FG, keep up the good work, really really looking forward to the newest version. When do you think we'll see a list of Features for 2.0?

richvalle
February 22nd, 2007, 17:13
I just started using FG and I'm really enjoying it. One of the features i'm not really finding is the ability to perceive the maps in three dimensions. This has always always been one of the biggest problems for the games i've been in as it is ultimately inevitable that some character or creature flies at some point. Envisioning it has always been very difficult and relies on copious notes as opposed to some graphic representation.

I would like to see this feature addressed in FG. I'm not saying it has to be some 3rd person view or anything crazy, I actually quite enjoy the simplicity P&P feel to the game. I also welcome others' suggestions for keeping good track of creatures' position on the Z scale (in the typical overhead view of a map).

Thanks. FG, keep up the good work, really really looking forward to the newest version. When do you think we'll see a list of Features for 2.0?

How do you do this at a game around a table? We usually use a die or something to mark that the creature is flying and the dm keeps track of the hight.

How about using the pen to note the hight of the creature and then erase and remark as needed. Not sure now to note the creature is 'up' though. Maybe a special flying token? Something like what another used does to make damage but with a small pair of wings instead.

rv

greowhiste
February 22nd, 2007, 17:31
we've taken on a convention of putting the mini on a six sider, and then writing down +20 or -35, denoting upwards of 20' or downwards of 35' in relation to the plane of the map, which we often try to denote the "ground" level. When there is a pit trap or something, we commonly draw the "ground" of the trap over to the side as a separate map and put a "A connects to A" marking on both maps (if there is a tunnel or something that leads to a different part of a different level).

hard to describe. What i'm saying is it would be helpful if there was some form of layering of the maps that all PCs and DMs could access that maybe just denoted height. i don't know, i'm not the systematizer, just the frustrated gamer. not frustrated, I can just see how FG seems like it may have the capability to include this as a function. Maybe the distant future...

richvalle
February 22nd, 2007, 18:09
I'm not sure how to do this software wise without it being very complicated. Its seems like its something better done like it is around a table.

How about using small tokens with numbers on them such as your +20, -35. The dm could have a whole bag of them. Everyone could see at a glace the hight of everything on the board. If another map is needed (for a pit with a tunnel) this is easly done by making a second map.

Note: You can also only share that map with the person in the pit. Drag and drop the square in the upper left corner onto the person(s) portraits that are in the pit. They will be the only ones to see the map. This gets a bit cumbersome when you have to keep updating that map as the habit of 'update all' is hard to break.

rv

calvinNhobbes
February 22nd, 2007, 20:57
I see no reason why you can't just lable the flying token with its elevation with respect to the ground. When the elevation changes, just type the new number and drag it over. Now if you are having a massive aerial battle with multiple flying creatures of the same type and therefore need the token lable to determine which creature is which, well that is going to be complicated no matter what you do. I supposed you could just retype the number each time.
Example: Dragon 1 takes off flying, you type "1, 30ft" and drag it over. Dragon 2 is already flying and is labled "2, 100ft". He dives down, you type "2, 10ft", to indicate his loss of elevation.

richvalle
February 22nd, 2007, 21:47
Thats a good idea.

Only problem with it is that you have to mouse over everything to see what their elevation is. Tokens would be easier to see at a glace.

I think your idea is good if there is only 1 dragon (I'm sure the players would hope there is only 1!) and something more visual is better when fighting 8 harpies.

rv

calvinNhobbes
February 22nd, 2007, 22:08
Ya, that's true, but you got to mouse over it anyway to know which number monster you are attacking. I just prefer keeping the number of tokens on the board to a minimum. I hate thinking I grabbed a creature and then realized I dragged a tree half-way across the map. :o

greowhiste
February 22nd, 2007, 23:14
well that's what i'm saying. i'm hoping in the new version of FG, there will be labels for the tokens. tiny tiny labels that help remind you of their condition and special movement. like a number highlighted in blue would mean they are flying +35 or whatever, a condition highlighted in red might say "sickened" or "panicked", and maybe another would be green, denoting a boon, such as "hasted"

I suppose that could clutter the map space up a bit, but that may be better than moving tokens all over the place or having to hover (and retype conditions when they change) every time.

I know in the new combat tracker there is a whole updated section for conditions on each member in initiative. how hard would it be to have it summarized on the token? Those may even be able to be hidden to certain characters, etc.

just my thoughts.

TarynWinterblade
February 23rd, 2007, 02:25
I know in the new combat tracker there is a whole updated section for conditions on each member in initiative. how hard would it be to have it summarized on the token? Those may even be able to be hidden to certain characters, etc.

I don't think it would be too difficult to attach an extra label or three to the token using LUA script that displays based on combat tracker information (being a previous WoW addon designer -- also LUA based -- I would hope it's as easy to do).

But.. of course that's FG2..

Right now: either flying tokens or labels :square:

Dominio
March 13th, 2007, 16:45
You can do most of this with Modules for each location you want. Loading hte module gives you access to different maps NPC's etc. As far as talking from a particular 'channel' - the dm can right now assign himself any voice lable he wants and the typing will originate from that label.

This is something quite different than what I'm requesting, though. You're talking about the DMs capability to take control of NPC personalities and "speak through" them. What I'm looking for is not this, but the possibility for the DM (himself or when in control of an NPC) as well as the PCs to talk in a delimited "room", so that only other PCs in that same room will hear what is said.

Consider that a group of PCs splits up and travels to different reaches of the continent on which an adventure is taking place. Even in this case, anything that any of the PCs says will be heard by all the other PCs, even if they are all the way over on the other side of the continent. What I'm requesting is for the DM to be able to place PCs within a certain location, which then acts like a separate chat channel so that only the PCs in that location can hear what the other PCs (or NPCs) there are saying. Only the DM should be able to say something that all PCs are able to hear, regardless of which location they are currently assigned to.

Sigurd
March 13th, 2007, 17:24
Consider that a group of PCs splits up and travels to different reaches of the continent on which an adventure is taking place. Even in this case, anything that any of the PCs says will be heard by all the other PCs, even if they are all the way over on the other side of the continent. What I'm requesting is for the DM to be able to place PCs within a certain location, which then acts like a separate chat channel so that only the PCs in that location can hear what the other PCs (or NPCs) there are saying. Only the DM should be able to say something that all PCs are able to hear, regardless of which location they are currently assigned to.

I'd like a feature that would allow the DM to talk selectively to players but I personally wouldn't put that on a _need_ list.

In practice I think most games have 2-6 people (3 seems the average). Player balancing and selective speaking would be nice but a lot can be done with the current setup and planning your sessions. If you know the party is going to be spliting up for a time have a seperate session. Limiting PC's to not hearing what goes on in a part of a room makes it difficult for the players to catch up and often leaves players twiddling their thumbs in a most ungracious manner.

S

g0ose
May 12th, 2007, 07:00
What about an active game server list like Gamespy has...with password locks and server room limits...and stuff.

I just think it'd be easier to find a game. :-D

Oberoten
May 12th, 2007, 07:38
It would also increase the cost of the program and most GM's don't want random people landing in their game.

AndyPan
May 12th, 2007, 16:38
I may be the only one, but I'd like to see the ability to lock tokens to each other become a reality. For instance, in my token box, I have some tokens that denote status, like posioned. In cases when a status token is used on a character's token, but that character still has the ability to move, it would be helpful to lock those two tokens together, so that they can be moved as one, rather than moving one, then the other into position. This would also be useful in cases like something I have coming up soon, involving multiple character tokens and a boat token that must be moved around. I am kinda dreading that encounter, for the simple reason of moving stuff around.

Like I said, I may be the only one that would want that feature, but I really think it would be helpful. Just an idea... :0)

Auly
May 18th, 2007, 04:37
FG2 can use something that FG1 needed badly and that is a sound that can be turned on and off when messages are given just like IM's. OR some other way to get a players attention that something is going on. Something that the players and GM can both do. Even making it blink in the tool bar would be a god send.

Oberoten
May 18th, 2007, 08:57
FG2 can use something that FG1 needed badly and that is a sound that can be turned on and off when messages are given just like IM's. OR some other way to get a players attention that something is going on. Something that the players and GM can both do. Even making it blink in the tool bar would be a god send.

THIS one I second fully. Would make multitasking a LOT easier.

Valarian
May 18th, 2007, 10:36
In FG1, there was the player bell for attracting the player's attention. Is that still there in FG2?

richvalle
May 18th, 2007, 14:19
It would be nice if there was an option to include price for inventory items and the ability to add it up like it does for encumberance.

Or include price in the items book and allow drag and drop inventory management again with the ability to add up total prices.

rv

ShaneB
May 22nd, 2007, 07:04
This is something quite different than what I'm requesting, though. You're talking about the DMs capability to take control of NPC personalities and "speak through" them. What I'm looking for is not this, but the possibility for the DM (himself or when in control of an NPC) as well as the PCs to talk in a delimited "room", so that only other PCs in that same room will hear what is said.

The counter argument to this is that this would HAVE to occur in a normal (ie PNP) gaming environment where the DM is interacting with the Players in the same room when there Characters are all over the place. It would have to operate in the same way as it would in PNP, the Players being able to differentiate between Player knowledge and Character knowledge. Ie the Player knows something is going on in another area of even a dungeon, but his Character would have no idea what is going on.

Callum
May 26th, 2007, 18:14
Two requests:-

1. When typing in the chat window, I'd like the "repeat" to kick in when holding down the left or right arrow keys, like it did in FG 1. At the moment, you have to press the key over and over again, which is irritating when you want to correct a typo quickly before sending the message.

2. I'd like a way to change the default size of the automatically-created PC tokens. A good start would be knowing what the current default size is!

Thanks.

TarynWinterblade
May 26th, 2007, 18:31
2. I'd like a way to change the default size of the automatically-created PC tokens. A good start would be knowing what the current default size is!

You can change the PC tokens easily by modding the ruleset a bit. The tokens are created based on icons/portrait_token.png and icons/portrait_token_mask.png. The latter being used to determine which portions of the former are shown as the portrait and which are just the graphic. The actual token size is 30x30, but only about 26x26 is part of the portrait.

Griogre
May 27th, 2007, 01:44
Tokens size to fit the grid on the first map they are dropped on if you are using the FG grid.

TarynWinterblade
May 27th, 2007, 04:27
Tokens size to fit the grid on the first map they are dropped on if you are using the FG grid.

... and this is what happens when I start modding a ruleset without even trying to get my group to test out FG2 a few sessions... I miss the "how things work by default" side of things. >.<

Sorry 'bout that.

Callum
May 27th, 2007, 10:01
This doesn't happen for me! I always use the grid, and when I drop tokens on a map they appear at their base size - 50x50 for the tokens I've made myself, and 30x30 for the PC tokens.

Can any of the developers confirm that there is an auto-resize function for tokens - and, if so, how it works?

Griogre
May 27th, 2007, 23:05
I not sure, but there may be a bug in it. I ment to mess around with this and got distracted.

Mellock
May 29th, 2007, 16:14
Just a personal request:
When you set up the point cost in local mode (define point ranges), those point costs are gone next time you start the program. They don't really change a lot. an 18 is pretty much going to cost you 16 points a lot of the time. That, and a lot of DM's seem to ask you to use the point buy system anyway.

Would be fun if I didn't have to set them up each time.

zifnab69_fr
August 13th, 2007, 09:11
Hello. :)
congratulation for this fantastic job.....

( first, sorry for my bad english)

well... About ambiant sound.
i know that if we want the players/gm to speak, we can use teamspeak. i try it and it's very usefull, so no need for FG to have something for voice....
But.
For the use of ambiant sound teamspeak is not very good . We try it for several time and the sound is not very good and when the master speak, the ambiant sound cut of or there is lag... well :( to bad...

i'm sure it's possible to do something with FG without big modifications.

In FG, it's possible for the master to silently preload maps and pictures to players computers and when he want , the master can share the picture and instantly the players can see the map....

Why can we use this function with MP3 ?

At the beginning of the game, the master preload MP3 to clients (as map) and when he need a special ambiant sound, he share it and the default computer mp3 player do the job ..... it'll be possible no ?

Thank you. :rv:

zifnab69_fr
August 14th, 2007, 07:49
and for the more,
if MP3 are seen by FG like pictures , they can be linked in the Game master Story sheet.... for exemple, in the "tavern " sheet, there is a description, a link to the map and a link to the ambiant sound.... It 'll be very usefull....
:o

Valarian
August 14th, 2007, 11:34
I'd like to be able to send files to the players: e.g. small PDF handouts. Sound is a good gimmick, but can get in the way. It can add to the atmosphere of an adventure, especially when doing horror, but too much distracts from the game play. GRIP already can handle files and sounds, but the interface is dated. I'd like to see this in Fantasy Grounds

zifnab69_fr
August 14th, 2007, 21:49
When we are playing in the same room we can see the master playing role, changing he's voice, doing mimics and it's good for the atmosphere....
with internet it's impossible. So ambiant music will be a good thing for atmosphere.....
In a movie, the music is very important....especially for action or horror movies. In RPG it's the same.

zifnab69_fr
August 18th, 2007, 12:07
What the FG devlopement team say about the idea of managing ambiant music (mp3) as files like pictures ?
Do they think to add this function soon ?
Thank you