PDA

View Full Version : How do I get players into my game?

nicohinz1
April 17th, 2020, 01:22
I have FGU, and I am beginning to DM for a game. I was wondering what are the best options for getting the players into the game. I see there are public and private settings, cloud and LAN settings. I'm not quite sure what info I need to give them to get into my game. Looks like I can set up a password also. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2020, 01:27
The easiest it to run a cloud-public game. Just put a password on it and tell your players what your username is. Once you have started your campaign, it will show up in the lobby and they can just select it from the list.

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2020, 01:28
Cloud server type uses a lobby and network connection facilitation service to help connect to your players. Within the Cloud server type, the Public will show your name in the lobby for players to select; and the Private option will hide your name and players will need to enter "nicohinz1" to connect to your Cloud server.

LAN server type just starts a local service on your machine without trying to help with player connection. This mode requires the GM machine to be correctly configured to accept server requests, and any port forwarding to be correctly configured to receive requests from the Internet on the specified port.

All in all, the easiest option for players is probably the Cloud - Public option. If you want to avoid anybody being able to join your server, you can add a password to connect.

Regards,
JPG

nicohinz1
April 17th, 2020, 04:42
Thanks for the help.

RandyB1969
April 17th, 2020, 19:28
Cloud server type uses a lobby and network connection facilitation service to help connect to your players. Within the Cloud server type, the Public will show your name in the lobby for players to select; and the Private option will hide your name and players will need to enter "nicohinz1" to connect to your Cloud server.

LAN server type just starts a local service on your machine without trying to help with player connection. This mode requires the GM machine to be correctly configured to accept server requests, and any port forwarding to be correctly configured to receive requests from the Internet on the specified port.

All in all, the easiest option for players is probably the Cloud - Public option. If you want to avoid anybody being able to join your server, you can add a password to connect.

Regards,
JPG

I don't see the "Lobby". Also I got a host address and it still didn't work. Any help would be appretiated

Griogre
April 17th, 2020, 19:58
JPG was talking about FGU (FG Unity) you are showing FGC (FG Classic). There isn't a lobby in FGC that is a new feature for FGU. In FGC if you are the host you press the "Load Campaign" button make sure "Enable alias" is selected and give out your alias to your players after enabling port forwarding, etc. To connect as a player you just type in the four word alias.

There are twists where the host might not use an alias so you would type in the External IP of the host instead.

Nylanfs
April 17th, 2020, 20:03
Also, I don't recommend chloroform and ductape to get players...

Griogre
April 17th, 2020, 20:14
Well, if you want productive ones.... ;) On the other hand PC's to sacrifice to the DA... er but I digress.

RandyB1969
April 17th, 2020, 22:21
JPG was talking about FGU (FG Unity) you are showing FGC (FG Classic). There isn't a lobby in FGC that is a new feature for FGU. In FGC if you are the host you press the "Load Campaign" button make sure "Enable alias" is selected and give out your alias to your players after enabling port forwarding, etc. To connect as a player you just type in the four word alias.

There are twists where the host might not use an alias so you would type in the External IP of the host instead.

Yeah. I just came back and noticed the OP said FGU and we're trying FGC. Thank you for the reply. I'll pass this on to my GM and see if it works.