PDA

View Full Version : AD&D Ruleset Request for Input

celestian
April 16th, 2020, 23:19
I am considering changing the way HPs show on the Dungeon Masters side of the combat tracker. What I am looking at is changing the way HP are displayed... such that is displays CURRENT HP and not MAX HP and WOUNDS.

I would replace the current value of MAX HP with CURRENT HP and WOUNDS would be removed. I would add a "tooltip" to CURRENT HP value to show "MAX and WOUNDS" fields if you wanted to see them.

You could still adjust hp by double clicking the HP field and applying the change using the existing system in the ruleset already.

https://i.imgur.com/jWlCR2m.png

graziano.girelli
April 16th, 2020, 23:29
The tooltip is a great idea!

JohnD
April 16th, 2020, 23:30
Could you show Max HP and Current HP instead?

celestian
April 16th, 2020, 23:56
Could you show Max HP and Current HP instead?

I'm curious, why do you want to know MAX HP in the CT? Is having a tooltip option not a workable solution for the few times you might need it?

Grommit57
April 17th, 2020, 00:20
I checked other. Max HP. I don't care if it shows Wounds or Current HP but there's something I like about knowing what my max HP is. And I don't want to have to use a Tool Tip to find it. Just my preference.

mrgrey
April 17th, 2020, 05:49
Also going with Max HP and Current HP (checked "other") for the same reason as Grommit57 - honestly, I like to be able to just glance and see information; as such, I'm not a huge fan of tooltips, where I have to actively move my mouse somewhere.

celestian
April 17th, 2020, 07:48
I checked other. Max HP. I don't care if it shows Wounds or Current HP but there's something I like about knowing what my max HP is. And I don't want to have to use a Tool Tip to find it. Just my preference.

Also going with Max HP and Current HP (checked "other") for the same reason as Grommit57 - honestly, I like to be able to just glance and see information; as such, I'm not a huge fan of tooltips, where I have to actively move my mouse somewhere.

I'd like to ask you two the same question I asked JohnD. What use have you found for MAX HP value in the Combat Tracker? I am trying to slim down the CT as much as I can to save precious view space and I can't think of a time I needed to know the Max hp of a creature... Current HP yes.

Is there a specific use case I am missing in combat where you need to refer to max hp for some combat related mechanic? The only thing that comes to my mind is perhaps 1e dragons where HP determined dragon breath damage?

Asterionaisien
April 17th, 2020, 11:15
My 2 cents are that having max hp and wounds/current hp helps describe visually the condition of the creature. For example, if I know a creature has 60 hp max and it's down to 10 hp (so it has 50 wounds), I can say "you see the creature it's heavily wounded, still able to combat but drop of blood fall from it pretty often", or something like that.

celestian
April 17th, 2020, 16:33
My 2 cents are that having max hp and wounds/current hp helps describe visually the condition of the creature. For example, if I know a creature has 60 hp max and it's down to 10 hp (so it has 50 wounds), I can say "you see the creature it's heavily wounded, still able to combat but drop of blood fall from it pretty often", or something like that.

Keep in mind the text of the Current HP value will reflect "status". Green/Yellow/Red just like wounds do now.

Additionally, tho not related to this change but might be useful... there is a option in Campaign settings to let the PCs see the "status" of HP decline of a npc. "Slightly Wounded" "Severely Wounded" that sorta thing, not numbers.

Accerak
April 18th, 2020, 13:28
I would rather see Current HP in the CT the way you described Celestian. In the CT, all I really want to know is where are they at right now. For me personally, this would actually be an awesome change.

Bonkon
April 19th, 2020, 17:27
Good Day Celestian :)
I am in the same train of thought as you with only needing the Current HPS. As DM I have a pretty good idea how many HPS my NPC's started with and the players should know their HPS and can describe their status accordingly. :)